Harley XR1200

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GS Bones, Aug 14, 2009.

1. davevv

davevv One more old rider

Oddometer:
    In what regard? That HD won't make it available to people that don't buy it, or the fact that there isn't enough demand in the U.S. for that model to be profitable?

When the XR1200 was first announced as a Europe only model, people here screamed bloody murder that they couldn't get one. There were lots of people on this forum who said they'd buy one if it was available. How many of them actually did when it was released here? My local dealer never ordered another one after he got the first two because it took him a year to get rid them. He's got better places to invest his money than in inventory that doesn't move.

HD knew all along that bike wouldn't sell well here. Any bike they've built in the last 40 years that had any sporting pretensions at all has been a poor seller in the U.S. That's why the Sportser Sport, Roadster, FXDX and all the Buells were discontinued. HD is in business to make money and I guarantee that if those bikes would have been flying out the door, they'd still be available.
  2. sargev55

sargev55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

i know, i have a 1200 roadster that i will never sell, still a shame. i think the main problem was they were not marketed properly.
  3. goodcat8

goodcat8 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fact that they're 10-13 grand certainly didn't help.
  4. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    H-D shot their own motorcycle in the foot by pricing it at the very top end of the Sportster line, then points fingers at the consumer for not buying it.
    Face it. The American Harley Davidson market is aimed directly at the 1%er wannabes. Have chaps will buy H-D. Make in the USA. Available only in Europe....again. Way to go H-D. Personally, I have NO desire to look like I belong on the set of Easy Rider.
    Lyle
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

Exactly. Unless you absolutely had to have a Harley, there are a number of bikes in that price range that compete.
  6. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    All of our moaning on here can't change the fact that cruisers outsell all other types of bikes by a wide margin in the USA. Cruisers account for half of all motorcycle registrations. HD still dominates that market, so they are selling to their strength. Still, I find it interesting that the Japanese companies try to appeal to a much wider demographic, while selling many fewer motorcycles in the USA than HD. One problem I think the XR1200 has is that folks that might be interested in one might not find the typical HD dealer very supportive. The dealer won't be able to sell the chaps, the studded belt, or the novelty beany helmet with the bike.
  7. alii1959

alii1959 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey, I recognize that the bike doesn't fit their usual demographic, but even Harley is trying to branch out. I see a lot of Hi-Viz stuff at most dealerships along with FF helmets these days. I wonder what you are supposed to do if no one buys the motorcyclist stuff versus the biker stuff? Harley didn't get this big by being stupid. They do play to their strengths. I am really surprised that they haven't canceled the Vrod. I do respect a company that really understands its customer base.

Sadly, the fact that they play to their strengths tends to leave me on the HD sideline. Always wanted a Harley, but they just don't make what I want. Buell was close. The XR1200 is very close. The dealer network is without peer. Customer satisfaction seems to be very high. I just can't seem to find anything that suits me, or at least not for the prices they want (new or used).
  8. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    A Hell of a lot of Harley "bashing" around here is brought about by the Motor Company themselves. I go to a Harley store, and feel really out of place if I'm not dressed for Halloween. I go into a BMW shop, and they have a good variety of machines (albeit way out of my price point) highway, dual sport and adv bikes. Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha cover all the bases....Harley? Nope. Only ass dragging, low riding, chrome yachts. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but these guys have the talent to attract more than one segment of the motorcycle riding public?? At least bring back the 1200 Roadster! Something we can install Progressive shocks and fork springs in and actually gain some ground clearance?
    On the subject of "pirates", I get to have cataract surgery in a few weeks. I may need an eye patch. In which case, I might be in the market for a well trained parrot........AAAAAARRRRRrrrrrr, Billy!!

P.S. LOVE what they've done with the 72!!! And with my aging bladder, that gas tank might actually work? No pirate outfit for that one.....roll up the jeans, stuff a pack of smokes in a white T shirt sleeve, white socks and penny loafers! YEEEEHAW!
    Lyle
  9. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
    $15g's up here in Canukistan. +12%tax and all the other bullshit. I can pick up a demo Diaval for that price across the street from the Hog shop. :1drink
  10. sargev55

Oddometer:

wow,

in 2005, i paid $8100 for mine and then another $1100 for the extended 5 year warranty. never had to use it, and the dealer gave me $1000 in accessories. so i did the basic rejet/air filter slip ons, and then got a sissy bar, a jacket for my gf, and some riding glasses essentially for free.:D

the bike had sat the entire year. it had zero miles, and the battery was dead when i bought it, they recharged it and i rode away.
  11. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    Except no one ever does, and of the sportster line they are the least desirable in the eyes of the typical Sportster purchaser.

You can blame Harley all you want, but the fact is they build bikes to their customer base. More recently they've reached out to a younger audience with notable success, even in the middle of the great recession. That younger audience wants a 48, not a Roadster. Harley-Davidson made the Roadster for years. The public voted with their wallets, and it went away. Likewise with the FXDX, Sportster Sport, and now the XR. Sad for sure, but I can't blame them for not continuing to build poor sellers. And by the way the discontinuation of Honda's DN-01 really angered both of their customers too :lol3

I was among those who said if they released the XR in the states I would buy one. Unfortunately I wasn't able to make that happen. By the time they released it my physical condition had deteriorated to the point that I wasn't going to be able to spend any real time on that bike. I still drool over the XR1200X in white and think it's a wonderful bike, but unfortunately I'll never own one.
  12. sargev55

Oddometer:

and at the same time, people that really like to ride tend to find the roadster. value maintains pretty well on the R's, and they will probably be worth some real coin down the road.
  13. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Rode mine about 350 miles Sunday with a very mixed group. It was loads of fun watching the faces of the fellas when they figured out (quickly, I might add :D) that this was no ordinary Harley or even ordinary Sporty. Fun, fun.
  14. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think part of the reason the Motor Company doesn't sell many of the XR's is the dealers don't have enough of them. I saw one at my local HD dealer in early March, but didn't have time to test ride it that day. I came back a week or two later when I had time, and it was gone. They told me then that they'd have another in a few weeks. I checked back last week -- they STILL haven't gotten one, and now think they MIGHT have one in mid May.

The same thing is happening with manual transmissions in cars. Most dealers won't stock any car with a manual transmission. Many people don't want to wait for a special order car to come in, and buy what is on the lot. Therefore, the "manuals don't sell" mantra becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. I think this applies to the XR1200X as well. When I inquired about it, they even told me that the XR the "non-Harley" Harley, and weren't real positive on it. Well, I'm sure I'm not alone, in that I'm not in the market for the typical Harley, but very much would consider buying the XR1200X -- If I can find one to test ride first.

I'd love to be patriotic, and buy American, but when pretty much all that is made here is cruisers, then I'll keep buying Euro and Japanese bikes.
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Harley continues to reach out to younger riders in their own way. They are one of the best managed companys in the US and know better then to continue to provide a product that doesn't sell.

I too gave very serious considerstion the the XR but bought a Guzzi 1200 Sport because of it's it's better handling and better fuel range.

Regards, Paul
  16. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    +1, you beat me to it!

I love the XR-X, and will buy one someday, but it will be used. My local dealers still have 2009 models on the floor, and they still want MSRP for them. I don't think H-D hit the price point to seriously move them, nor did they market them very effectively. There must be a number of bikes in that class that have as good or better engine performance, handling, lighter weight, as well as being cheaper to purchase. None can match the looks in my eyes, but that is pretty subjective.

All that being said, I think the bike looks wonderful, and the test rides I've taken on a couple were very enjoyable. Everyone constructs their own cost/benefit analysis to justify the purchase of something like this bike, and no way am I laying down $12-$13K for a standard (no offense to anyone who has). Having H-D on the tank doesn't add any value to me, so I will decline to pay their premium on new bikes.

I'm sad to see it go, and I guess I'm one of the guilty people for not keeping the model alive by not buying it from the manufacturer. I do hope H-D continues to experiment with more standard offerings; I'd really like to buy an American bike someday. I hope either H-D or Victory builds something in the future that forces me to hand over my money.
  17. Wuwei

Wuwei Long timer

Oddometer:
    What standard offerings does HD offer? The XR1200 is as close as they get. I don't understand who wants these bikes with the 24-inch seat height and no ground clearance. HD totally loses me with nothing by cruisers, but as I have said, I can understand because I am not their customer--cruisers sell, whether I can understand the mentality or not.
  18. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider

Oddometer:
    MSRP for an '09? Wonder why they still have them.
    Walked into on of the dealers I could deal with. They have a new '09 1200C, with the 21 inch front wheel. Hate the new FAT tyre on the '12.......but he still wants "new" price on it. Hey, smell the roses! These are two or three year old bikes!
    Lyle
  19. Motorcyclist

Motorcyclist Drag a Bag!

Oddometer:
    A few years ago they had the Street Rod, and there have been several Sportster variants that have had pretty standard ergo's. Then there was the whole Buell line, that had many standard layouts.

Granted, they were all discontinued, but I'm hopeful H-D will keep testing the water. Maybe a smaller displacement bike will win over some of the faithful as a commuter or around town machine.

If I had to make a bet though, I think Victory will be the first to morph into more of a full lineup of bike classes.
  20. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    460 miles Sunday on mine in the East Texas woods. With the prices being where they are used, I don't think anybody would go wrong buying one. It just brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. 4,000 miles in 4 months and I have two other bikes that get ridden. It does take some "sorting" and I'm not quite done with that but jeez. It sure is fun.