Project Cosette (Yet Another Sportster conversion)

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by WhicheverAnyWayCan, Nov 17, 2012.

1. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:

Shit happens and its done.

Don't laugh.

Super glue the minor stone nicks and for something a bit bigger/deeper , Devcon.

If it warrants it , file down anything that looks like it may be a stress riser then finish off by using a fine linishing ( not emery ) tape.

Devcon takes a good day to cure so don't be in a hurry.

[​IMG]
  2. WhicheverAnyWayCan

WhicheverAnyWayCan Deaf Biker

Oddometer:
    I've read about Super Glue and Nail Mender on some dirt bike forum so no I wasn't laughing.. anyone in desperate situation like myself is always open to any suggestion :deal

I went ahead and ordered Devcon so it should be here next week. Here is pic of the nick to get some idea how bad it is..

[​IMG]
  3. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't mess around with this. I believe the damage can be repaired as good as new. Forking by Frank has been around forever and should be able to restore as good as new. Reweld, rechrome and return. I'm hoping this is the correct link but check around to be sure. Don't fool around with forks. The repair is not that crazy expensive.

http://www.frankmain.qpg.com/

Hope this helps.

Jack

4. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    I called them and they said they can't fix it.. only replace it? :dunno

Devcon it will be, then!
  5. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER

Oddometer:
    I am still on the road, returning from a week away with the family, can you provide a better picture, and one spaced far back so I can see where on the tube it is damaged? Ill look into this more once I get back, I think I have a set of upper tubes for these I might be able to part with, I'll have to double check though.
    You have a couple of options for repair. I'm viewing this on an iPad cruising down I5 headed home, once I see a better picture and where its located on the tube I'll be able to give a better answer/solution.
  6. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome! I'll take pic and video of it then email you. In that case, I'll wait a week or so and see what can be done.
  7. I Am Murphy

I Am Murphy Vagabond Sportster

Oddometer:
    Love the build man, looks totally sweet! ...I didn't realize you were doing all that powder coating yourself, which is what it looked like from the thread - kudos on that, man. So I've got a burning question. The biggest hangup I have run into thus far is the rear wheel. There are no dual sport tires small enough in inner diameter to fit the stock rear wheel, and I can't find any pre-fab aftermarket 18" spoke rims that are meant for the '01 Sporty. I've looked into a few places to have a wheel built, but the costs are pretty high. Looks like you were able to use older wheels from eBay? I'm hoping to find a cheaper alternative that will enable me to put a dual sport tire on the rear end of my whip - did you have to do any mods to the wheels you got to get them working (rear in particular)?
    :freaky
  8. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Sorry I didn't reply to you any sooner on your thread asking me where to find my build thread but I am glad you found it and welcome to my build thread. :D First rear rim I got was for free from local H-D dealer but it was 16" and I felt it was too low I may not get the ground clearance I wanted so cut the hub out and sold rim for $30. I found out that the hub is alloy and not as strong as I would want it to be so I sold it for $30 and someone at XLForum was giving his H-D Cafe rim away for free I paid shipping cost of $50. Unfortunately the rim itself was bent but the hub is something I could use so I sold the rim for $25 to buyer who acknowledge it is bent.

Buchanan sells aluminum billet hub same as one that I have on my new rear rim but it would run me $300 and it weights 6.5lbs I think. I am thinking off my head.. but the hub I currently have is 7.5lbs so I didn't see any point in spending $300 to save 1lbs so I stayed with steel hub.

To answer your question, I considered Excel 17" & 18" rim but Buchanan's assured me that their Sun Rim is much stronger and slight heavier than Excel's so I bit the bullet and pony up for their rims (front & rear). I ordered Talon hub for $330 shipped directly to Buchanan's then I powder coat rear hub myself and shipped it to Buchanan's. Their turnaround time was faster than I expected. I think it took them few days to process plus few days of shipping from CA.

As I type, I have new tires, Kendra K761, arriving this Wednesday and few tire tools. Fuel tank and triple trees have been stripped and ready for powder coat. I expect to finish this project up very soon but I have got two new contract job cutting Timber Frame kits for two different clients I have to do them before I leave for Colombia on Feb 4th. Been busy! Cutting Timber Frame kits for clients really help add up traveling funds very fast! :evil
  9. PPCLI-Jim

PPCLI-Jim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Difference Between Cast and Billet
    To create an aluminum casting, one must first create a mold of the part that is to be created. The mold is formed when the pattern is pushed into chemically binded sand leaving the impression of the part to be casted. Once the mold is complete the molten aluminum is poured into the mold and allowed to cool and harden. Once the molten aluminum solidifies, the mold is pulled apart and out comes the desired part. Then Finished with final production of bearing surfaces, tapped holes etc.

A billet is a solid block of aluminum with the size depending on the size of your desired part. The larger the desired part, the larger the billet. Contrary to casting, billet parts are created by removing excess aluminum from the billet, essentially the part is carved out of solid aluminum.

While both methods can produce the same exact part, each method has its own distinct set of advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages of billet:

Cost effective in low quantities
    High degree of precision
    Very short lead times
    Structurally the parts are stronger
    Disadvantages of billet:

Costs increase as quantities increase
    Some designs are not cost effective to machine
    Some designs cannot be machined from solid billet
    Advantages of Casting:

Cost effective at low quantities
    Can produce parts of all sizes
    Capable of producing uniquely shaped parts
    Disadvantages of Casting:

Labor intensive
    Reduced dimensional accuracy compared to billet
    Rough surface finish
    Imperfections or defects in the metal
  10. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    PPCLI-Jim,

Thanks for the info.. very informative!
  11. BadKarma

BadKarma Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hmmm... I seem to remember 18" spoked wheels for Sportsters in the JP Cycles catalog. Pretty sure they had them for the 2000+ models.
  12. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Keep in mind that the rims sold by J&P cycle for harley will most likely be heavier than dirt bike rim and that is why I went with Sun Rims made by Buchanan's. Also, I find that certain Excel rims are designed to work with lighter bike and will not do well with heavier bike. If I remember correctly, you have to look for a code on rim to determine which Excel rim will tolerate heavier bike like sportster or KTM 990 or so on before buying it.

So in I Am Murphy's case if he wanted to save money.. he could search for Excel rim and then find a hub to work with his sporty then hire someone to do true and lacing if he can't do it himself. I find many places will charge $100-140 and Buchanan's charged $106 for true and lacing, which was cheaper than most local business in my area. In the end, I find it cheaper to just order rim and provide my hub to them and add true/lacing + shipping to the total. Less headache if you ask me.
  13. xlcc

xlcc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I picked up an 18x3.5 complete wheel that has some latex or silicone stuff covering the spoke nipples on my '02 sportster that I converted to adv type bike from KC International for $279.59 including shipping.The rim is steel.I have put a lot of miles on this bike and run tubeless with no issues.
  14. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    You got any updated pictures of your bike?
  15. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Hi Madrider,

I have been dragging my feet with this project causing it to move slow.. Currently working on two Timber Frame projects..

First I prepare the design using Google Sketchup and the design is Pergola: (not 100% done)
    [​IMG]

Then I order pine lumbers from local sawyer.. Lowe's or Home Depot doesn't carry this:
    [​IMG]

I cut them into kits using special tools:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Work in progress:
    [​IMG]

Next project will be this, a 12' x 12' picnic shelter for a client using oak: (Not finished- need to add braces)
    [​IMG]

But the good news is that my 15" Ohlins rear shocks will arrive on Tuesday then I need to order front/rear sprocket and chain. The work of assembling the bike will begin but I think I will finish it after I get back from Colombia.. going down there end of June and be back early Sept. I am leaving for Alaska-Argentina trip in May 2015 so I have little time to get ready!! :eek1:lol3
  16. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you got alot going on! Good luck with it all, post up some pics of your bike when you get the chance. Im looking into trying to make some hdb handguards work on the 1 inch bars and figure out a small fairing on my bike. I have found windblast and vibration to be main issues so far for my sportster since I end up riding interstate quite a bit. Again good luck with your project, wheels look great, I think your bike is gonna be awesome.
  17. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Finished work of first project in case you might be interested (minus pegs in the photo)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now working on 12' X 12' picnic shelter project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. WhicheverAnyWayCan

Oddometer:
    Hello from Medellin.. I am here in Shamrock Irish Pub and Al has made some changes here in the pub.. it looks great! I'll post some pic later!

In meantime, here is brief report of my last project.. finished second project in 7 days fabricating a 12'X12' picnic shelter in Timber Frame. Had to hurry and finish it before I leave for Colombia on the 24th so I worked 6am-8pm every day for 7 days with only 30 mins lunch break. It was very hot and humid! At least I worked under the shade and kit was delivered to client Sunday night. Didn't think my truck could take whole load of oak kit because I had to make two trips to pick up lumbers from sawyer. Also, I had to hire a helper to help me for last 2 days to catch up. He did simple things like sanding timbers, pre-drill peg holes, and helped me move timbers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Connecting posts to side beams. Need to test it for client because he will raise the kit himself and I need to be sure it fit perfectly before delivery.
    [​IMG]

Connecting posts to roof beam:
    [​IMG]

King Post truss:
    [​IMG]

The timber for ridge was in bad shape and very curve but we did the best we can, and client plan to use metal roofing on this. I have worked on metal roofing and know it can be a little flexible. With it being a ridge and 7" wide, should not be a problem to cover.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll have one more Timber Frame project waiting for me when I return back to USA in September. I hope to add 2-3 more projects to fund my Alaska-Argentina trip. If anyone that is following this thread is interested in possible me doing some Timber Frame work for your home (add-on like sunroom or 2nd living room) or for your yard.. could be furniture or anything.. I design it on computer first so not waste lumbers. Let me know and we can discuss your desire!

Ok back to bike building.. I place order on Mosko Moto Saddlebag with adjustable bracket (or go to their website directly and they are taking pre-order with 20% off now: http://moskomoto.com) before I leave for Colombia so hopefully the gear will be ready to ship when I get back to USA in September.. More later!
  19. Redneck-Hippie

Redneck-Hippie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your build on the sportster, would be interested in a cost break down when done if your comfortable sharing that info, no worries if not, I am sure it is way more affordable than a Carducci,

Also nice looking Pergola looks so much nicer when the lumber is milled and put together with skill. Just wont show my wife :wink:

Great builds on all your projects.

Cheers
  20. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just tipped off your comment on the first page of my rtw thread to get to this thread. Didn't notice it there before as I was busy riding round the world.

I love Sportsters and will be following your thread now. My rtw Suzuki is not home yet, arriving west coast from Russia not long ago. When I got home in mid September I couldn't stand not having a bike, so there's a Sportster in the garage now, my 5th or 6th one. Put over 1000 miles on it in a couple weeks.

Anyway, I'll be following your build now. :D