COMPANY SOLD- JUST GAS TANKS.com Please contact via email

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Justgastanks, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justgastanks

Justgastanks Formerly the Justgastanks guy.

Oddometer:
    It's probably going to be a few months now since they are too expensive to ship by air.
  2. hontri

hontri Global Bummer!

Oddometer:
    Any idea when 3 gal IMS tanks will be ready for 09-11 klx250? Thanks
  3. NCMX1

NCMX1 The Yeti

Oddometer:
    IMS has these tanks available right now. We may not be able to get our hands on these for a few more weeks though.
  4. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    You guys don't mess around! You guys put my TE610 25L tank in the mail the day I ordered it and it was waiting for me 3 days later :clap
    Thanks! :deal
  5. NCMX1

NCMX1 The Yeti

Oddometer:
    Right on! We try and keep as many items in stock as possible, and we try and ship everything same the day the order is placed. Have you installed the tank yet? How is it?
  6. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    Which tank is that?
  7. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Edit: worked it out with the very helpful staff
  8. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    The Safari 25 L tank for my 08 Husqvarna TE610. It is nowhere near as massive as I thought it would be for 25 L (that's a good thing). It seems well built and sturdy, which, considering I throw my bike down the trail a lot, that's also a good thing :deal
    Installation happens tonight!
  9. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Wow 6.6 gallons. Pretty neat.
    Do post some pix please
  10. Justgastanks

Justgastanks Formerly the Justgastanks guy.

Oddometer:
    Please do post pics!

Ben
  11. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    I hope y'all don't mind that I post a bunch of pics of the install :deal

Have a gas can handy and a piece of fuel line.

First, you need a bike to install the tank on :evil
    [​IMG]

Remove the plastics and the seat
    [​IMG]

And the radiator shrouds
    [​IMG]

Disconnect the vent line and remove the tank mounting bolt
    [​IMG]

Close the petcocks on both sides of the tank
    [​IMG]

Connect your length of fuel line, connect to the petcock, open petcock and drain this side of the tank
    [​IMG]

Repeat on the other side
    [​IMG]

Lousy pic, but too late now :puke1 Squeeze the little tabs on the fuel pump connection and remove the two lines
    [​IMG]

Don't forget to disconnect the fuel pump electrical connections before you go yanking the tank off
    [​IMG]

I forgot why I took this pic.
    [​IMG]

The Safari tank looks massive, but it's not, as you'll soon see
    [​IMG]

Do like the instruction page says and rinse out the tank with some gas. There are indeed some bits of plastic in the tank. Also, look at the inside of the gas cap, you might find some plastic bits there, too.
    [​IMG]

Turn the stock tank upside down and remove the 6 bolts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pull the pump assembly straight out
    [​IMG]

And drop it into the Safari tank. It will be a tight fit
    [​IMG]

The fuel filter fits tight against the inside wall of the tank, so it's not a straight drop-in affair. Work it in slowly and patiently. Run in the bolts a few turns at a time until it's square then finish tightening them up.
    [​IMG]

Keep a close eye on the gasket. It will try to run away.
    [​IMG]

Done. Notice the wiring goes to the front of the tank, just like it says in the instruction sheet.
    [​IMG]

Remove the radiator fan so you can...
    [​IMG]

route the crossover fuel line. I routed it through the loop of line under the water overflow tank so there's little chance of it touching the exhaust headers.
    [​IMG]

Route the included fuel line like so:
    [​IMG]

Remove the stock, short fuel line from the fuel rail and replace with the included line
    [​IMG]

You don't need the stock, short fuel line anymore. Make it go away.
    [​IMG]

Replace the fan (and don't forget to reconnect the wiring if you disconnected it)
    [​IMG]

Go ahead and drop the tank in place and connect the fuel lines and the pump wiring to the harness
    [​IMG]

Keep an eye on the wiring and keep it clear of the exhaust header
    [​IMG]

Lie on your back and get under the tank so you can connect the crossover fuel line
    [​IMG]

Pour some fuel into the tank and check for leaks. Then turn the key to pressurize the lines and check for leaks again. Looks like I got done just in time :clap
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Arghh... I forgot to mention the front cross brace. The pics I took didn't turn out. On my setup, the cross brace hits the right header pipe. I will need to dremel some clearance. If your touches, or is really really close, give it some more clearance. Don't be lazy, because if you don't, in no time you will have a hole in the header pipe.

12. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Great job!
    Post a couple pix of the bike during day time if you ccan. Thanks!
  13. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics of the tank on the bike.

First of all, notice how narrow it is. It is narrower than the IMS 5 gallon tank I had on my 06 TE610.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My observations:
    From the riders point of view, the tank is no wider than stock. It doesn't spread my legs at any weird angle or anything. Sitting on the bike is totally comfortable.

It seem to feel the same with 5 gallons in the tank, lower on the bike than 3 gallons in the stock tank, higher on the bike. I wondered about it feeling top heavy. The IMS 5 gallon tank on my 06 TE610 does feel top-heavy when full, but feels great with 3 gallons. This tank feels great with 5 gallons :deal

The feel of the plastic is really good. This seems like a good, thick, durable tank that I can throw down the trail without worrying about doing any real damage.

No @$%@$ key for the gas cap! Awesome!

I have to admit, I balked at spending >$7xx for a frickin' gas tank, but now that I have it, I feel it is so well worth it. I'm really glad I got it. The Husqvarna TE610 is an awesome bike. It works well in the deserts of Nevada, Oregon, and Baja, and the extended range I get now gives me some real piece of mind. :deal
  14. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    You got it :evil
    Yeah, it was getting dark enough by the time I finished up that the pics I took of the cross brace didn't turn out. I forgot to mention that. I will go back and edit :deal
  15. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Looks really good.

Can u see the fuel level through the plastic?
  16. drrags

drrags Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer:
    No, at least not so far, but I ordered the solid white one. I don't think I'll be able to see the fuel level in any light, probably.
  17. bikyto

Oddometer:
    Got it. Thanks.
    I wasn't sure If it was translucent or white. It did look very white.

:clap
  18. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    Nice job, Arno... I got my tank before you did but haven't had a spare minute to get it on the bike. Should make our next Baja trip even more fun with gas stops fewer and further between.

I got the translucent white - but it looks very much like a solid white tank. I think it's going to be much better looking over time than the usual quick-to-yellow translucent plastics I'm used to seeing. The Safari looks to be a very well made piece.

It looks as narrow as the 5.8 Acerbis I had on the XR628, and narrower than the 5 gal IMS on my TE 610 too. It will be interesting to see how that cross brace fits with the Leo Vince Ti header that tucks in so close to the frame (that I've also not installed yet :bluduh).

Great write up!

And also, great service from JGT again - they've been great to deal with on every tank I've bought there.
  19. segge

segge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been trying to track down a red 6 gallon Acerbis tank for my CRF450. These guys were great. Super fast email replies top questions. They knew their product, mounting procedures. etc. My 2008 needed a small bracket to fit the tank. They gave me the heads up on this and even gave the Honda part number for the bracket, most places wouldn't have even bothered!

steve
    www.egge.us
  20. segge

segge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been trying to track down a red 6 gallon Acerbis tank for my CRF450. These guys were great. Super fast email replies top questions. They knew their product, mounting procedures. etc. My 2008 needed a small bracket to fit the tank. They gave me the heads up on this and even gave the Honda part number for the bracket, most places wouldn't have even bothered!

steve
    www.egge.us
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.