XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:
    Since we are stroking Steves ego, he really helped me getting my bike dialed in. OK now Steve, how do I tell size and threads on a bolt/nut. I have several on the bike that I don't like the looks of, and while I have it apart I want to replace. Do I have ot go to the micro fiche and dig through to find the data or can I Mic them and find out?
  2. katbeanz

katbeanz earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer:
    Got a new pirelli scorpion xcmh in 140 width to try, looks to be a fairly open tread pattern, doubt it will last nearly as long as a 606.
    908RR went clear out of sight! :eek1 They wear like iron but have nearly doubled in price.
    I picked up a slightly used set of Motoz tires in flea market a while back, the 950/990 crowd claims they last pretty well, DOT legal and not much more than a dunlop or pirelli.

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/Motoz_Tractionator_Desert_H_T_Tires_p/motoz-desert-ht.htm

I put a few hundred miles on the rear, good traction, a little squirrelly at speed but I never balance knobbies. If they last close to what a 908 does I'll be happy. :D
  3. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Spud,
    When are you going to mount up a trials tire and see how it does? I am thinking when my D952 wears out, I may give one a try.
  4. taco250

taco250 wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:

I've heard that trials rears do really well in sandy/muddy conditions but are too soft for pavement.
  5. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that you reminded me, I remember I actually have a rear, trials tire in storage. :nod I picked it up as an extra part when I got another bike. :deal I'm sure a trials tire, set to low pressure, is great in the rocks. :nod However, I ride a lot of pavement, and the gravel roads around here are pure slop in the spring. :huh I suspect the soft rubber of the trials tire wouldn't last long on pavement. I also suspect the trials tire wouldn't clean itself of the goopy mud we get around here in springtime. However, I think a trials tire would be the bee's knees in Moab. :nod

Spud :wave
  6. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Which ones?
  7. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    The MT43 seems to have a good following.
  8. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I seem to remember reading good reports on the MT43, Red. :nod Has anybody in Idaho tried this tire?

9. Sasquatch2112

Sasquatch2112 Old Angry White Guy (OAWG)

Oddometer:

I was looking at in general how to tell. I have hit the bikebandit website hard and got a bunch of the sizes, I just didn't know where to mic the bolts or how to determine the thread pitch.
  10. Cloud9

Cloud9 I was HERE?

Oddometer:
    The other two things about trials tires is that they don't like to be leaned on, no hard cornering or peg dragging, and they are horrible if you get a flat. That's why trials guys are always close to their riggs. You don't want to have to ride 15 miles back to your truck/house on a flat trials tire which I've done with other tires. :1drink
  11. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    the manual you have should have the deets on each. But if you have just a few to figure out, there's a few of us that have them mesmerized.
  12. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can also take the bolts in question to a hardware store. The hardware store should have a board containing different sized metric nuts, with different thread pitches. You merely try screwing the bolt into the different nuts until you determine the correct size and thread pitch. :deal

13. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Wow, Spud.. sounds like you found a great tire combo. I have a MT43 on my XR250R, which I really love.. I am hesitant to run one on the XRL for the things mentioned above. The 250 is a lightweight bike that is mostly for trail riding. I can ride the MT43 flat for quite a ways.. the XRL weighs a lot more, would make the flat trial tire almost unrideable. I am probably going to stick with knobs on the XRL, probably get Spuds combo next time.
  14. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Night5. :nod How are the Artrax tires working out for you? It's hard to go too far wrong at $90 for a pair of tires. :deal

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/ARTRAX-250450F-TIRE-COMBO

15. flossandfly

flossandfly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi XR owners. Just checking in. I recognize some usernames from Thumpertalk in this thread. When I figure out how to post a picture I will. Hopefully a picture of me doing something cool. But if you have ever seen a picture of an XR650l with a red clarke tank, rox risers, bark busters, rear rack, and FMF Q4 exhaust then you have seen my bike.

Thanks for all the great info shared here. :clap
  16. michael.brat

michael.brat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since we're talking bout Steve, he was the first to see my new XRL back in May and also saved my swingarm by giving me the chain slider off one of his XRL's. I've lost count of the things he's helped me with :nod I try not to get in the habit of calling him when I get into a jam :lol3 He's just toooo helpful

And.. he's secretly santa claus. Just an fyi..

Mike B
  17. michael.brat

michael.brat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have tips to straightening out a warped fender?
    I was just going to take a hair dryer to it.

Mike B
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

If I am unsure of a bolt size/thread I break out the tap set and match the bolt to the correct tap. Whalla, the info is printed on the side of the tap.

Generally most bolts on the XRL are 6x1.0, 8x1.5 and 10x1.5 mm
  19. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

How about MEMORIZED.

Oh, and thanks for the seat. I plan on sending it to Seatconcepts just to check them out. Probably put it on my daughters bike.
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

All I need is the red suit. No padding necessary.

My beard is quite full and pretty white these days. The wife tells me to trim it daily. I just ignore her...:lol3:lol3:lol3