GSX1250FA for two up???

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by wb57, May 6, 2013.

1. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thinking about adding a 1250FA for occasional two up riding, but it would mainly see duty as a replacement for what I'm currently riding on almost exclusively two lane, country roads. I'm sure I'd be comfortable with it solo, but if it's no good for some decent two up riding, I'll stick with what I've got for now.

Thanks for any and all opinions. Even ones questioning my mental capacity.
  2. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Well this really should belong in Road Warriors but a mod will take care of that.

Regarding the 1250 I can chime in with that. I have a 650F which is the exact same bike (same frame, engine bottom end, suspension, seat, etc just less torque and a few HP) And it does 2 up just fine.

The only thing I've noticed is the rear preload likes to be set correctly for the added weight. If you don't the front end gets a little lazy and in high crosswinds likes to wander a bit. Crank up the preload and it is just like it is 1 up.

And the shock is super easy to get to as well, takes 2 minutes and that includes the time it takes to go in and get a beer.
    Jim K. likes this.
  3. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooops on posting to the wrong forum and thanks for the insight.
  4. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    the 1250FA is an incredible bike
    a seat may be needed, but only after you and your passenger give it a try
    new 2011's (2012's not imported here) are available for near 8000,
    incredible smooth torque, you really need to try one out
  5. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $8K? I've seen them for around $10K. Guess I need to get a little more aggressive here... Thanks.
  6. nbsdave

nbsdave Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

my bad, I should have said used
    a 2011 with less than 2000 miles sold on ebay in March for 7600
    there were a couple new for mid nines as you noted
    they are out there
    check this
    http://motorcycles.smartcarguide.com/2011-suzuki-gsx-1250fa
  7. HarveyMushman

HarveyMushman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The engine is absolutely perfect for two-up riding. Just effortless, low-rev torque. Try it out, maybe you'll want a new seat. If you are serious in the corners you might want a better rear shock. But it's a great bike for two-up riding.
  8. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:

Hmmmm.... The owner of the first place listed is a good friend of a good friend. Calls will be placed today. Thanks for the link!
  9. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:

Thanks. I guess I'm not so concerned with the motor as I am comfort level of a woman in her mid-40s. I'll get her on the back of one in a showroom somewhere this weekend at the very least. Just more concerned with whether she'll want to spend the large chunk of a lot of days on there. I'm hoping something like this will work out well. Can't go to cruiserland.
  10. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i often imagine comfort for the 2nd rider is determined by the addition of a backrest.

is that something easily done on a 1250?

ymmv

be well.

rob
  11. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    it probably depends on your size, and hers. If you're big, you may want something with more room. Otherwise, you should be fine.
  12. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Super easy on a 1250. Factory option for a trunk as well as SW Motec, Givi and Twisted Throttle. Can also add hard side bags easily as well.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    While I don't have a 1250, I have a competitor in a CBF1000 with similar specs. The difference in your 650 Versys and the 1250 will be huge. I had a 650 Strom and it's a very capable motorcycle, but with full luggage and passenger, it took a lot of the performance out of bike, and fuel mileage really suffered. You're probably feeling similar with your Versys in similar circumstances.

Same luggage and passenger on the bigger bike, it doesn't care. Fuel mileage don't suffer and and as the rider you hardly feel your carrying anything.

You'll love the 1250, and adding luggage, especially the trunk, is very simple.
  14. EastBoundAndDown

EastBoundAndDown Ron - 300XCW DR650 990SMT

Oddometer:
    Not much passenger legroom from what I have read. That can be fixed, though.
  15. Scrivens

Scrivens Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had the 1250S - the half-faired version, but with exactly the same seat/footrests/chassis etc. The engine is lovely; smooth, quiet, fuel efficient, lots of torque. Bear in mind that fuelled up the 1250s are over 270kg, so it is somewhat cumbersome at low speed with a pillion. My 20 year old daughter (and frequent pillion) is 5'3" and slim and she hated it - no legroom and the sloping seat meant she was sliding forward during braking and cornering. Another frequent pillion of mine did one 150km run on it. He is 6' tall and lightweight, and when we got home his legs had cramped from the position and I had to help him off the bike. He would not get on it again and my daughter also stopped riding it after a few 100km runs as it was too uncomfortable for her.

Both of them are fine with my other bikes and I've been carrying pillions regularly for years and can ride very smoothly with a passenger, but the complaints have been the same from everyone who rode on it - no legroom and a slippery, sloping seat. (If your pillion is used to riding on sports bikes with their knee-high pegs that may not be an issue, of course.) The pillion rests can be lowered - but not easily if you have pannier racks as they use the peg mounts. I put one of those anti-slip covers on the pillion seat which helped to some extent.

Check one out with a passenger first.
  16. elementalg20

elementalg20 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely read several complaints about leg room. I'd look into a seat that's not only more comfortable but a little higher profile for the passenger, and some peg lowering blocks of some sort, add a backrest to it and I'd think it'd be very reasonable in terms of comfort. I've only sat one one, reminded me a bit of a stripped down FJR to just sit on.
  17. madjak30

madjak30 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For similar money, I would look at a V-Strom DL1000...similar torque, so no problem riding two up. The seat and riding position is much more touring friendly. It's just the styling that you would have to get used to, but I've heard that the headlight on the V-Strom is incredible and it rides more sporty than it looks.

I just don't think she will enjoy the GSX1250FA after riding on the Versys. Another option is the Versys 1000, or have Kawasaki USA not imported that bike yet?

Later.
  18. BossMaverick

BossMaverick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Bandit 1250 (same bike just not as much plastic). It is an awesome bike that has an excellent engine for hauling the extra weight of a passenger, plus a cargo trailer, plus a boat, plus a kitchen sink, plus a sidecar (not that I have all of those things, but it would be possible with the engine torque). The Bandit is a great bike for almost any kind of riding. It can do long trips yet it still has capability to be fun on curves. The Bandit is the only bike I've been happy with keeping for so long. I have no intentions of selling it for another bike.

Unfortunately, the pillion seat is the biggest negative about the Bandits. The foot pegs are very high up and in an awkward position. Also, the seat has very little cushion and is poorly contoured. As much as I love my Bandit, I would suggest not getting one if you are searching for a bike for passenger comfort.
  19. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've done very little two up riding, but would also imagine that to be the case. There seem to be at least a few top cases that double as a backrest. That's likely the direction I'd go.
  20. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had my son on the back of the Versys and he didn't really put much additional load on the motor. Felt it pretty readily in the brakes and suspension. The woman I'm considering buying this over is maybe 50% bigger than my son though.