New and improved KTM690 WUNDERFEST

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by crankshaft, Sep 6, 2011.

1. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + WP suspension
    + Brembo brakes
    + reliable, smooth LC4
    + broad aftermarket (larger tanks, rally fairings, etc.)
    + Enduro conversion to motard/SMC fairly easy

- poor subframe design/implementation (can be supported with aftermarket luggage racks)
    - EFI could be better (can be largely fixed with TuneECU)
    - no ABS
    - fuel pump issues (see wiki; replace with CA Cycleworks pump)

Must do mods (imo):
    * more comfortable seat
    * Rally Raid UK Subframe Tank Mounting Bolts
    * Rally Raid UK Lower Tank Mount Kit
    * upgraded rear shock collar (options are Super Plus Suspension or Rally Raid UK)
    * check fuel filter/replace fuel filter
    * keep a replacement fuel pump handy
    * EDIT: fork bleeder valve

Lots of info here in this thread but also we're starting to put it all together on the 690info wiki.

http://ktm690.info/index.php/Main_Page
  2. Hoots

Hoots Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't believe the EFI to be poor ...

And why on earth would you want ABS on a dirt bike ... ?

I haven't yet seen a need to upgrade the rear shock collar, replace the fuel filter or worry about the fuel pump - these things have all happened to some people in some circumstances, and if you're going around the world then it would pay to think about them - otherwise, just ride the bike ...

The seat will kill you on longer trips ...
  3. jorich

jorich Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just recently put a wings on. It sounds great. Really well built. We are going to have to get together for a ride, I've been interested in those racks it would be nice to see them in real life!

Cheers J.
  4. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some people complain about the EFI being lean from the factory for emissions, which makes the cans hot, etc. Some EFI bikes have no issues at all. The 690 is not issue-free when it comes to the EFI, especially if you are changing exhausts, etc.

If you think of the 690E as a big dirt bike, then agreed, ABS is unnecessary.

If you think of the 690E as an ADV bike, then ABS would be nice to have. I suppose it all depends on how you use the bike, what speeds and roads you are on.
  5. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    The 690 is sold as an enduro (rightly or wrongly) - regardless of what one might think of it as. I'd prefer better seat and bigger tank before ABS. EFI -when mapped correctly to match the exhaust/air filter and running on quality fuel seems to work fine. :D
  6. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

With all due respect to the notion of "dual-sport" and "Adventure" being helpful prefixes to the word "bike" or "motorcycle"....I am of the belief that any bike would fit such a description....as it is the rider's attitude that determines what type of bike it is.

The rest is marketing hype.

Now, your regular programming will resume. :ricky:thumb
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><input jscode="leoInternalChangeDone()" onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
  7. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    au contraire, a 340 lbs bike can make joe average feel like a hero in the desert, i miss my 530 sometimes
  8. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picture your DRZ with twice the power, six gears, good suspension, and quality brakes... 690:deal
  9. fossriver

fossriver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Like many I suppose, I went from a DRZ to a 690. I had a 39mm FCR and a Yoshimura Rs2. We had some great times together. The 690 feels like a DRZ improved in every way to me.
  10. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I had a 950 Adventure and a DRZ prior to the Husaberg and 690 that I have now. The DRZ feels just like a 690 in the same way that a 1971 Land rover Series III feels like a 2013 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution.
  11. drunkenrich

drunkenrich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so you guys are saying I should dump the drz then........the 690 is so expensive though......drz is easy on the wallet
  12. gen

gen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Then enjoy the DRZ while you save money for a 690 in the future?
  13. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    We might be biased :lol3

I like my 690; it does everything I want it to do and weighs the same as the DRZ 400. Yes it's more expensive, but most other bikes in it's engine class and that are near it in power output are usually 80-100 lbs heavier. You can't easily remove 80 lbs from a bike like a F650 Sertao or a KLR.

So the the 2012 $9,600 I paid for my 690 is for a bike that makes more power than others in it's engine class, is a bit smoother running (from my experience), and has the lowest weight in it's engine class. Those are all things that aftermarket can't really address, so for me it was worth the price premium.

That being said aftermarket parts and OEM parts for the 690 are quite expensive, the bike is expensive, BUT there's not much else out there that can really compare this against due to the specs.

Another thing I always like to mention is my 2012 690 enduro makes more horsepower than my old 650 v-strom and weighs about 160 lbs less, and has the suspension and handling characteristics to hit the quad/single track in the mountains after riding across the state on the interstate at 75 mph.
  14. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I'm also forgetting 10th grade science but being at 6,000' ASL would significantly lower the temp at which gas boils no?
  15. Seth S

Oddometer:
    You can pick up used 09-11 husaberg 450's and 570's for very good prices and they are more of a direct step up from what a DRZ does.
  16. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    These look pretty similar to me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  17. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not significantly. Water boils at 95°C instead of 100°C here, so only a 5% drop.
  18. Seth S

Oddometer:

Sure.

[​IMG]

vs

[​IMG]
  19. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a 450 Husaberg for sale http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896277
  20. motoged

motoged Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My point is we can "dual-sport" and "adventure" on ANY bike....some bikes are better suited to particular applications....so we are agreeing that one bike is better than another in certain conditions....

I have a 450, a 690 and a GS1100.....and try to pick the right tool for a particular job....and I find adventure on each bike. I have toured on the 450 and 690, but have stopped single-track bush-bashing with the 1100 :D

If I had to pick one bike for the rest of my life, it might be the 450....it just changes how much crap I pack for trips longer than one day.

I met a British guy at Tecate one time who was on a Honda 125....traveling around the world....so the 125 was an Adventure bike, for sure....

Call them what you will, and hopefully the bike of one's choice will get them there and back.:ricky:happay:wings