BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. longjt

longjt Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '05 doesn't have that feature, and neither should yours.
  2. mrduck

mrduck Been here awhile

Oddometer:

:wave

Hi John !
  3. bootzilla

bootzilla Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer:
    A buck-fifteen and a relay? Can't you just jumper the switch leads or something??
  4. bootzilla

bootzilla Blah Blah, Woof Woof

Oddometer:
    Oh - I almost forgot to ask - I need a new set of tires for my R11RT - I wore the poo out of the left side of my front tire. I was considering giving up some mileage to go with Bridgestone BT-016's because a few people on the BMWsporttouring board say they are pretty grippy - anybody here use them and have an opinion?

Thanks!
  5. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    I guess someone forgot to tell someone in engineering. Mine's got it.

Bootzilla - I just put on a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 3s.....HUGE difference, wonderful tires. I've only got about 700 miles on them so far, but they're fantastic.
  6. drrider1

drrider1 just running amuck Supporter

Oddometer:
    i always did well with michelin pilot roads:clap.........liked em so much i put pr3s on the r1200rt:D
  7. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. I would consider following suit, but it would cover up my big yellow ADV sticker...

:D
  8. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    I usually start my '12 RT on the center stand unless I'm actually sitting on it, so I'm not even sure if it will start on the sidestand or not. I'll need to check that today.

My new PR3's go on this week, so I am very glad to hear this! I'm leaving in a week on a 5,500 mile, three week trip, so I'll take "after pics" and we'll all get a pretty quick idea of how they hold up.
  9. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:

I loved my PR3's on the R1200R. The RT is about to get them as the OEM Bridgestones feel really squirrely in hard turns now. That happened twice today, so change is coming on Monday. Have the tires and some Dynabeads so should be a good change.
  10. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    WTH My '96 RT wears tires out on the left side also. 4,000 miles and shot. The right side would go another 2 or three K. Tried Conti RA's, Metzler, and Dunlops, Perelli's on order. Is there something going on to wear on the left side, front and rear?
  11. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    The left side wear has been discussed ad nauseum on other beemer forums - lots of theories and speculation, the only thing anyone seems to know for sure is that it's not uncommon. But, even with the uneven wear I still get 12-13k miles out of my ME880 fronts.
  12. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    I'm using the Pilot Roads too, on my second set now. Yeah, they wear funny but I really like the way they handle: sticky and predictable, even in the wet.

I always park on my centerstand. Makes it easier to access the whole bike, whether for service or just getting at my gear.
  13. Ziploc

Ziploc Seeking adventure on- and off-road

Oddometer:
    I haven't read the other threads, but can share that streets, roads and highways are constructed with a cross-slope of typically 2% (1/4 inch per foot) to allow water to drain (often to the right-side curb and gutter or shoulder drainage ditch). So, our tires are constantly running on their left side traversing the slope of the road. That's the civil engineering explanation.

That, or we are all turning left...

Cheers!
  14. JoeyBones

Oddometer:
    Rolled my 2011 RT out of the garage, leaned it over on the sidestand, pulled in the clutch and "chuga-chuga-vrooom".

So I guess I don't have that "feature" either....
  15. Beemer Bob

Beemer Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't buy this. My GS does not exhibit this abnormal tire wear. I ride the same roads with both the RT and the GS. The Conti TA's on the GS have 4K and show no wear where as the Conti RA's on the RT were trash at 4K.
    I don't think I am anymore agressive on the RT, maybe it's the weight.
  16. BERNERBUDDY

BERNERBUDDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ka5ysy

Glad to hear you say so.

I agree 100%!!

I rode my 12RT on Calif. h/w 36 (many turns between Red Bluff and the coast) Sunday and the front end was all over the place.

It's a few weeks new and that was the first long day I've had it out. I hate to junk tires w/ only a few hundred on them but WOW, they feel terrible. If I'm lucky, maybe w/ some mileage on the tread, they'll come around a bit.

BB
  17. dmottv

dmottv Take the Long Way Home

Oddometer:
    The front tire that came on my RT-P was worn kinda funny, so I put a pair of ME880's on it. The listed tire pressure is 50 psi cold, seemed high so I'm running 45 psi right now. What are you running for psi to get the 12-13k mileage?
  18. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Front: 36-38 psi
    Rear: 40-42 psi
  19. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
  20. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is a repeat but I'm looking to add a GPS to my RT. I'd like to use one of my existing garmins, either the nuvi 760 or the 1450. I know that they aren't weatherproof and am not to worried, I'll either remove it or cover it with the always popular sandwich baggy when the weather looks snotty.

What mount is the best for this bike as far as security, placement, accessability etc.

Thanks for your help,