Finally a Car That Wont Die! New Passat

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by NikonsAndVStroms, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:

There are two choices in ADVland. It is a 50:50 bet.

1. Bueller and the Mustang

2. TDi

:deal
  2. Bueller

Bueller Cashin?

Oddometer:
    You forgot the obvious 3rd choice - anything with a 22r(e).

You're fired.
  3. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    Not quite. Silver/grey cars seem to get the most speeding tickets, with white the least.
    http://dsc.discovery.com/cars/top-10/car-myths/04.html
  4. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    20% of all cars at least today are silver so saying they get the most tickets makes sense since they are the most popular color by far. To do a study properly you'd have to compare to those percentages. Though I think it's safe to say that it's flashier than my 1997 Accord :lol3

[​IMG]

I do wish I could have gotten the blue.....but I had a silver Civic for 7 years so it was the next best choice.
  5. Crocker

Crocker Just passing through Supporter

Oddometer:
    cool car, i test drove one and really, really liked it. It has enough power to get out of its' way, handles well, looks sharp and it's huge on the inside in both seating and trunk. throw on some tint and wheels and it's sharp looking from the outside.

Insurance refused to total my '12 GTI that got crunched 3 months ago, should be getting it back next week and pretty sure I'm going to dump it for a Passat SE TDI with the 6MT at some point in the future. I like VW, but as I planned on keeping that GTI for 10+ years I sure don't feel comfortable driving a rebuilt VW off warranty.
  6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    What was the dealer like? Were they willing to negotiate on the price or were they like a BMW dealer ("money off - hahaha")?
  7. AtlantaViking

AtlantaViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    Something about that phrase that is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me...Perhaps snicks into every gear? Anything but CLUNK.:puke1
  8. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Unless your talking about a Ural...
  9. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    The dealer I went with in the end was great but the first one was a mess. I initially thought about leasing and their "best price" went down 1,000 dollars after I left, and another 1,000 when I said no to that (both times payments would have been the same). Then I found out the dealership network my friend works at has a VW so he hooked me up with the sales manger over there. I was given an offer with a discount again off their "internet price" and it was a good bit under invoice. Hell I'll give the place I bought it a plug; it was Quirk in Braintree MA.

That dealer I went to initially that dicked me around I decided to give one last shot since they're a mile down the road but they could only do roughly the same as the "internet price" from the place I bought the car.

Most of the negotiation was on the trade because it wasn't drivable :lol3 they started at 1k and I got em to 1,300. That's fair considering I got the car at under invoice and in its current condition the Accord is worth next to nothing.
  10. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Any positive feedback feels like a clunk after my Civic :lol3 how about that it's a positive feeling but not one that is too strong.
  11. SourKraut

SourKraut Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bummer about your GTI. I love mine and hope to keep it a long time as well. Congrats on the new Passat N&VS - they are incredible values. [​IMG]

The dealers are all over the map here as well and like you I have four or five of them pretty much local. It's nice to have options like that so you can shop them against each other.
  12. .52089

.52089 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's because they're on the endangered species list. :lol3
  13. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Since I've been talking about the interior:

[​IMG]
  14. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    Steering wheel is installed crooked. :lol3
  15. Heyload

Oddometer:
    Do VeeWees still have that blue instrument lighting?
  16. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    :lol3

When I got the Accord it would track straight just the wheel would be all messed up like that. That honda might have been the car that I learned to drive on, and that took me coast to coast but even with all those memories I never really liked driving it and those sorts of issues just added to it.
  17. NikonsAndVStroms

Oddometer:
    Nope, it's a very bright white which I'm not a huge fan of at night. The first thing I had to do is turn down the instrumentation lighting almost as far as it would go.
  18. Heyload

Oddometer:
    Anything is better than the blue. I drove a Passat from San Antonio to Houston one night, man it was awful.
  19. Anorak

Anorak Woolf Barnato Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just drove a 1964 Pontiac Grand Prix with the M-21 rock crusher transmission. That has a very positive feel.
  20. gspell68

gspell68 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You should swap out your Ural gearbox for a Dnepr gearbox. They're mucho betterer!!!
    (It's direct fit, but you'd have to shorten your drive shaft a wee bit.)

They're hardier and once you adjust shifter operated clutch slave lever half-automatic function, they're snikety smooth, you'll never miss another shift, and you never have to really use the clutch hand lever again except to change into reverse!

It's truly a shame that Ural survived and thrived and Dnepr didn't!!! :cry:cry:cry