140/80 TKC80 on R100GS PD?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by GreatDane, Mar 24, 2007.

1. GreatDane

GreatDane BMW GS Team Denmark

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

It's time for me to change the rubber on my dad's R100 GS PD '92, but I need your advise on the best of two lesser alternatives.. Should I fit the 130/80-17 Tube type, that I happend to order in stupidity:loco , or should I fit my spare 140/80-17 Tubeless (from my HP2)? I'd like to go with the tubeless for obvious reasons, but i'm not sure the rim on the R100 will hold it, since the 140/80 is especially made for the HP2.. Am I wrong and whats your advice?:ear

\Jasper
  2. Ron Seida

Ron Seida Adventman

Oddometer:
    I believe you will have clearence issues to the swingarm with the 140's. You can fix this with an olfa knife :)
  3. GearHeadGrrrl

GearHeadGrrrl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The 130/80-17 Gripster just barely clears the swingarm on my R100GS. There is a couple millimeter thick spacer for the K100 that would the wheel out a bit, but probably not enough.
  4. Motomech

Motomech Adventurer in Latin Amer.

Oddometer:
    Due to sketchy tire availability here, I mount tube-type tires tubeless all the time. Never had any problems aside from a couple of frt.s that lose a couple of pounds a week. Hardly a problem though.
  5. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:

is that possible? i wanted metz tourrance but my tire dealer only had a tubed rear. he doesn't recommend using it tubeless. so i settled for the pirelli scorpions, which i'm happy with and look more "trail-appropriate" than the tourrance.

to the original poster, the 140s will definitely foul the swingarm. did you notice how little te remaining clearance is using the correct 130 tires?
  6. datchew

datchew Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer:
    If your problem is simply clearning the swingarm and shock, etc, there's an inexpensive spacer that I believe is a bmw part.

Solo Lobo or one of the guys on here has the part number.
  7. GreatDane

GreatDane BMW GS Team Denmark

Oddometer:
    Thanks you guys, i'm gonna fit the 130/80-17, but with the tube.. I think is the better solution of the two alternatives. Although I've also heard of others using tube-type's without ever putting a tube in, I wont risc anything since its not myself riding the bike.
    Great input from all of you...:thumbup

\jasper
  8. Motomech

Oddometer:
    Sure it's possible. The only difference between a "tube" version and a "tubeless" version of the same tire is that the "tubed" tire lacks a membrain(sp?) that is supposed to prevent leakage thru the carcuss.
    On the rear, I've used both Metzelers and Pirellis(made in Brazil)tube-types and neither lost any appriecible air.

Metzelers:I've used the genuine German-made, steel-belted radial 130/80(pricey here, $200, as they are imported to the States and then imported here) and while not my favorite tire(they are a little small and hard riding), they will outlast every other tire(and I used many different ones)by a factor of at least 2. Perhaps their long service life is a factor of the stiff carcuss, not allowing as much heat to build up. The Brazilian made Enduro 4 (120/90), which I assume uses the same compound, is only good for 3,000 miles, while the Tourance will more than double that.

Pirelli Scorpions: I am currently running a ST 90/90-21 front and I would have to say that it's the best tire I've had on the front yet. a little less aggressive than the fast-wearing Metz. Enduro 3 Saraha, it still has enough grip for dirt roads(the extent of my off-roading with these bruiser bikes), but is quieter and has been wearing very well. The ST is not available in the raer 130/80 size and I'm thinking about looking for an AT in that size. The more streetable AT would still be plently aggressive for the rear of these models(where the hefty weight assures traction, at least going up-hill). It could be that the ST front/AT rear combo could be a real winner on the GS's.

Note; I run Anakees here in the rainy season, a great, but fast wearing rain tire.
  9. Motomech

Oddometer:
    My experience has been, the inner contour of the GS wheels do not lend themselves to tube fitment. I have pinched two tubes on the sharp edges that border the center channel of the wheel. Granted, this was off-road and the tire pressures were low, in the low 20's p.s.i.
    On the road, I think tubes would be safe enough, as safe as any wheel fitted with tubes, but never as safe as running tubeless.
  10. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The best tires for the R100GS is the Metz Sahara 3. It was designed specifically for this bike, specifically for these wheels. And 130mm is the biggest I'd put on the rear of this bike, there will probably be clearance issues, and, the rim will be too skinny for this tire.
    That said, in the 16 yrs I've had an airhead GS, I've found pricing of Sahara 3's to be silly expensive in Canada, so have been using Avon Gripsters. Not quite as sticky on the street, but they give you fair warning, and the price is right.
    Steve
  11. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, what the heck. I use Pirelli Scorpions, tubed front and tubeless rear. And the rate of air loss from both appears to be the same. But in the absence of stocks, I will always go for the combination that offers a tubeless rear for safety.
  12. Big B

Big B Luft Kopf

Oddometer:
    Hi all
    I am currently running a 140/80-17 Anakee on My 93 GSPD with Wilbers remote shock with no clearance issues(from PO), can just get my little finger between the tyre and Spring. I have a set of Heidenau K60 130/80-17 and 90/90-21 to go on very soon.