Yamaha WR250R Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Sock Monkey, Apr 7, 2008.

1. snakeears

snakeears What did you say?

Oddometer:
    Took your advice and backed off the rear preload to about 5 threads from the top the rear was at 20psi now running 25psi rear 18psi front and yes it made a noticeable difference, wobble is there but less than it was, seems to be handling better on the tar and bit more stable on gravel, haven't tried rough stuff yet
  2. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Well, now that we're done arguing about tires, should we discuss oil? :lol3
  3. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me, I just put that Goldilocks Megamile in every rig I own, I hear a Jaso MA rating is in the works, too.
  4. EnderTheX

EnderTheX Dirt Rider

Oddometer:
    I only use cold press olive oil in my bikes. Worst case scenario if you are stuck somewhere you can use it to brown the wild game you catch during your survival experience! :rofl
  5. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Tires: WRR - D606 front & rear, slam-dunk, no contest, best general duty, all-purpose choice. Anyone who thinks they are bumpy, squirmy, unstable, untrustworthy needs to just play golf for a hobby. I hear those golf carts ride pretty smooth on the cart paths, and the tires last forever. D606 are long lasting too. Most folks throw them away much sooner than necessary. They will perform admirably even until there is no knobs remaining.

F800 (heavy): TKC's are great, just don't last very long. Trying my first Heidy K60 rear now. I'm a tough customer (skeptic) and didn't think I would be satisfied with it. So far, after 2,500 hard miles, I'm quite pleased with its performance. Barely looks broke-in, and I've had no lack of (necessary) traction in any situation yet. Kind of shocking, to me. My TKC would have been worn out by now. This thing appears ready for at least another 3,000 miles or more. Time will tell.

Husaberg 390: Holy Four-Smokers ! ! ! :eek1 Whatever they spooned on that bike at the factory is simply incredible in the dirt. Honestly, I had forgotten how good a real dirt tire could be. Don't know what it is....haven't even looked at it to see. But, I doubt its DOT approved. Just sayin. I might have to shoe-horn a pair of these onto my WRR after all....:evil

Oil: Whatever is cheapest on sale. :deal But, I wouldn't want you to lose any sleep over it.

HF :thumbup
  6. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Well played! :rofl Italian, Spanish, or California olives?
  7. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to check out another bike today, and noticed my chain is super loose. Adjustments have come more often recently, and I have a new chain and sprockets to throw on it, but just put it off. Well bought some lube at that dealer and was spraying chain when I noticed chain looked rough, and then saw the metal flakes, of aluminum. Looked underneath the arm and slider was eaten through and arm getting sawed. :cry Time to tear apart the swing arm and fix it the way I have seen on other sites. Will tear it down tonight, ordered 2 sliders, but they wont get here for a couple weeks. Any advice?
  8. MiamiMotorcyclist

MiamiMotorcyclist used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer:
    Cool.

Preload adjuster or ride height adjuster in the shock linkage?
    I was talking about using the threaded part in the linkage to lower rear if it's not at the lowest setting already.
    Either way, glad it helped out so far.
  9. simmons1

simmons1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about traction on blacktop? A couple people down here that ride their GS's like sport bikes have wrecked and blamed the hardness of K60's as the cause.

Thanks!
  10. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go 13 or 14 on countershaft sprocket?
  11. Nice_Rumble

Nice_Rumble Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you using the OEM countershaft sprocket (13 tooth) or a 12?
  12. what broke now

what broke now Petroleum Brother Supporter

Oddometer:
    "ride their GS's like sport bikes"

I wouldn't run DS tires on my Ducati and expect to get on very well, what are they thinking? There are so many factors that contribute to crashes! I would think it makes more sense to blame the rider.

We live in the age of the I-phone, but there is no app for knee dragging on a GS with DS tires!

[fwif, i've never even seen one of these tires]
  13. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Just to stir the tire pot some more.....tire pressures...on any motorcycle tire..any tire for that matter, play a huge roll on how a tire handles. The same tire will not handle the same at X psi, 1.5X psi, or 2X psi.

Guys used to go to track days and try and run the same pressure they would on the street...usually high for better mileage..and then wonder why their tires were slipping out coming out of the turns. :lol3

Some guys don't change for offroad..others do. I personally feel a huge difference in traction and handling from the 20-25PSI on run on street, as compared to the 10-12 PSI I run in the dirt/sand.
  14. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    the Ozark, Boston, Kiamichi and Ouachita Mnts
    The best oil is used within 6 months of it's pressing. Timing is everything! 1st use oil from the Northern Hemisphere followed by oil from the Southern Hemisphere when the 1st gets near the end of it's 6 month life span.

[ many Chefs subscribe to this tactic too!]
  15. Sproat Sport

Sproat Sport Adventurer

Oddometer:
    December 2011 Issue...they call it their "2012 Buyer's Guide"

p. 78 (Dual-Sport Bikes section)

"A couple of years ago, Yamaha tried to make a big splash with the aluminum-frame, fuel-injected 250. It overshot the market with too much complexity and a high expense"

They don't explicitly say it's the WRR, but it seems implied....unless I'm mistaken. If they are in fact talking about the WR, seems like a load of crap to me. Too much complexity? Really. And it's funny that they would state that the XT 250 "makes up for it". Maybe they did this write-up thinking the WRR was being canned and wanted to look cool by spitting on its grave or something. Friggin' nerds.
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Read that & was very puzzled? Overshot the market? Over 1700 pages here! Too much complexity? No choke, no petcock, valve adjustment over 20,000. High expense? Lower initial price than anything comparable. Show me another 2008 bike that still brings almost 2 thirds of its initial price on resale. The XT makes up for it? Come on Man!!
  17. BMW-K

BMW-K Unmitigated Bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    26,000 ADV posts later...Yeah, "they" MUST be right. :lol3
  18. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Hhhhhmmmm......fair question, but let me think a moment on my comment regarding that passing scene.

Yup, what he said....but "squared"! :deal

WBN....you should put that I-phone App quote in your Signature Line. Its one of the best I've ever read. :lol3 :clap

I've not had any noticeable problems that have demanded my attention, or even prodded it yet....on blacktop or concrete in dry or wet conditions, while loaded or unloaded. BUT, I've also not tried to drag my knee thru the twisties yet. I have run some good twisties which also had some loose gravel in some corners, but not had a problem. This is NOT implying its the greatest tire I've ever run. Just saying I'm pleasantly surprised by its good performance so far. I've not run it thru any deep sticky or slick mud yet. Only some light mud and deep water holes thru wet rocks.....no problems for me. Maybe its The Rider (LOL).

I did pass thru the Tail of the Dragon last August on my F800 with TKCs mounted. So, I've had some sport-bike kind of experience with it (at least mentally). The TKCs felt rock solid tacky. And yes, if I were running it on my K60, I'd air down a bit....into the mid 20's probably....for more flex and grip. However, I've never in my wildest idea thought about "pushing" the K60 on my F800 to the limits. I would reserve that action for a more street oriented tire...a Dragon Rain would be my choice.

Too many other factors at play, to blame a crash like that on the tires....weight & balance, cg, speed, centrifugal force, road conditions, traffic. I just couldn't rate it from my comfy armchair by the fire. If Rev'n Kevin (Schwantz) said it was the tire, I'd bank on it.

HF :thumbup
  19. Reposado1800

Reposado1800 Juicy J fan!

Oddometer:
    Has E10 fuel rusted up you tank? Mine is rusty like a 30 year old bike:eek1.
    No lie. I need an IMS tank bad. I hope that scale did not trash my new fuel pump.:cry A serious WTF happened in my tank.
  20. goroka

goroka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A long time ago when Zimbabwe was still Rhodesia ethanol was introduced into the fuel as a blend - started as about 10% and increased considerably due to sanctions - ethonol was produced locally. I can remember that a lot of the older vehicles had issues at first with dirt in the fule lines. The theory was that the ethanol stired it all up.

Cheers