Garmin Montana

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by AugustFalcon, May 18, 2011.

1. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found the problem yesterday why my Montana was acting to strange and thought I would share.

Problems:
    Speed limit did not show in CN maps
    While navigating, I turn and that turn's text stays on the screen for another 15 to 30 seconds before showing the next turn.

Answer:
    I noticed that the profile I am using for CN also had all of the other maps enabled, 100K, 24K, etc. I disabled the other maps and only left the CN maps enabled and all of the problems above disappeared. Yeah!!!
  2. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Many folks do not realize that when they add another map to the SD card or the unit by MapInstall, ALL the maps get enabled again in ALL the profiles!!:huh
    Very irritating behavior to someone like me who has individual state 24K maps (free at GPSFileDepot) that I swap in and out depending on the trip.:dog
  3. Rocky TFS

Rocky TFS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may be a bit slow, but I finally figured out that just because the 600 does not have a camera it doesn't mean that you can't put geotagged photos on it or in BaseCamp.

I have a Panasonic Lumix with GPS that I never enabled because of battery life, so I just tried it. Took some pics with the GPS enabled, popped the camera card into the computer with BaseCamp running, BC recognizes card and the pic, copied the pic to a list, it shows up correctly on the BC map, sent it to the Montana.

Enable the photo viewer icon in a profile, the pics are there, click one, see it, use options menu to show on map, and Lo and Behold, my photo is right there on the topo map where I took it!

Another way to use up a lot of disk space in the computer and the GPSr....:lol3

Interesting to note that even if the photo has already been loaded into the computer via a photo editor/organizer, BC makes a copy of it in it's own folder, and even if the photo has GPS info in the EXIF, it has to make a little file to tell itself where to place the photo on the map.
    Presumably the Montana does not, and is just reading the EXIF tag.

AND, you can drag any photo on your system, geotagged or not, onto the BC map from your photo editor/organizer, and place it where the pic was taken....(if you can remember.....):clap

Presumably lots of you already know this, but I'm old and slow, so it took me 10 months.:gerg
  4. Emmbeedee

Emmbeedee Procrastinators

Oddometer:
    My experience, and I checked it just the other day when I re-added Metroguide Canada V4, was that since that was the only map I added, and it was in a separate file of its own, MGV4 ended up enabled in all my Profiles, but it didn't change anything else with the existing maps/profiles.
  5. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have repeatedly complained about this to Garmin since the Oregon models were new.

This is a very old issue Garmin refuses to correct.

I suggested they (at minimum) add an option to disable all maps, as most of us only use a map or two in each profile, but may have a dozen or more loaded. Having to go through multiple profiles and manually disabling more than a dozen maps in each profile EVERY TIME I update or add a new map is maddening!

Garmin Refuses to correct this issue for years now...
  6. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can not see the entire map you are using, or all the details, but what I do see in the last image is the 'purple dot' waypoints you are adding to your route appear to be at the very end of the complete route.

Again, I am unsure of the order you wish to travel them, so I may be stating the obvious.
  7. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The purple dots in that last image show where I'm trying to go off road. My route is coming from the right corner -the red rectangle #55 on that magenta road and should take a right and connect the purple dots #'s 56 thru60. The #60 finally connects to an established road where I hoped I could continue to add my wp's as I had been doing before I ran into this snag. The magenta line should NOT continue past the wp #55,but it is-that's where my problem lies.
  8. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am thinking of getting a Montana 600.

I am coming from a Nuvi 500.

What I like about the Nuvi is the (speed limit indicator), the (where am I) and (points of interest). The point of interest is more inportant to me, havinging the ability to find fuel, hospitals, motels, food and etc.

I am not sure if it can be done with the Montana 600 after loading North America City Navigator NT, and which do you reccomend the CD or microSD data card?

Please advise on this.

Thanks
  9. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to insert WP #56-#60 to the correct position in the 'Drop Down Menu'. (Not at the end.)

As shown, they are at the END of the route, so BaseCamp is correctly routing you to the end of the original route, then back to WP#55, thus the little red arrows on the Magenta route are facing BOTH directions.
  10. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    All POI's with CNNA will be available on your Montana also, but you will have to Purchase CNNA for your Montana first, Then a LifeTime update can be purchased and applied (DVD Version Only), if desired.

I always get the DVD, never uSD or download.

Read about the differences here.
  11. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Montana does speed limit and points of interest, you can use the Nuvi dashboard and it looks just like a Nuvi screen.
    Mine doesnt have where am I in any drawers but I'm sure you could add a shortcut.
    The Montana does sooo much its hard to know it all.
  12. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    Use the already present [Satellites] application to see your current position, elevation, and satellite signal strength
  13. Albie

Albie Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer:
    Ahh OK, hardly ever use my Windoze LT anymore. have to look into that.
  14. Ridin'nFishin

Ridin'nFishin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replys, very helpful.

Which do you recomend the CD or microSD data card for North America City Navigator NT?
  15. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:

You missed it!
  16. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Perhaps the reason we're not getting the same result is that we're not using the same process? I added MGV4 to my Montana by adding a file which contained nothing but MGV4 (MGV4.img) to my Montana through the Mac Finder, not MapInstall or the Windows Mapsource program.

And you don't need to believe me but the only change to ALL Profiles was that MGV4 was enabled in addition to what had already been enabled. I made very sure of that by checking before and after I added MGV4.
  17. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    What he say?
    Lol

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2
  18. duc916pilot

duc916pilot kiwimike

Oddometer:
    Hope this is not a "stupid" question but while all Garmin GPS seem to list fuel, lodging etc., - the Montana does not list campsites which would be very convenient. Is this a hidden feature or something that would be useful for many of us?
  19. Emmbeedee

Oddometer:
    Garmin probably doesn't have an exhaustive database of campsites but you could go to POI-Factory.com and get one and load it as a POI category.

Here's their category page: http://www.poi-factory.com/poifiles

For instance, this "California Campgrounds" file has 1025 sites listed: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/33160
  20. atlas cached

atlas cached Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use all methods, and never have payed much attention to which method resulted in what, so you may be on to something.

I will pay more attention the next time I install maps and see if I can deduce exactly when this happens for me, and when it does not, to add more documentation to this phenomena.

Thank You MBD, and "Happy New Year to ALL!"