KTM 640 Adventure owners, sign in please...

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, Feb 20, 2004.

1. Da Prez

Da Prez Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a '07, but I don't think they would change this over the model years.On mine, the box bolts above the battery. To get at the battery terminals I have to unbolt it and swing it out of the way.

I have a small "snorkel" that fits into the airbox opening on mine.
  2. Topcontender

Topcontender n00b

Oddometer:

Thanks!!! Yeah Im super excited! The rec / reg - metal bracket you describe is missing and the unit was tucked into the airbox. Now, there is that rectangular hole with the seat above it. Am I missing that snorkle as you describe?? I just have an airbox with a hole which could be an issue I would imagine.. I really appreciate all the help!!
  3. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    You need to go here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

It has all the answers about missing snorkels, holes drilled in slides and lots of other stuff.
  4. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi!

Just checking in.
    I'm going to buy a 2005 LC4 ADV tomorrow:)
    It has some minor things, like a leaking base gasket and a hole on the silencer, but seems okay overal. It's a little down on the power compared to my 950ADV, but is way lighter, and hope that'll make a difference offroad:)
    Fun to come:)

[​IMG]
  5. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    when you replace the base gasket check your rings-mine were brittle and one broke whichwas fine as I got a top end rebuild out of it:D
  6. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    It has 8k miles in it.. hope it's not that serious..
    I mean I don't want to rebuild the engine at 8k miles:)
  7. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    Sweet ......

Yes, it's going to be down on the power compared to a 950adv. I had a 990adv along with my 640adv ..... and I'll tell you what. What I would take the 640 on over the 990 was drastically different. I wound up selling the 990 because out of all the bikes I had, it really didn't have a place in the herd for me. Yes, true, I've seen others do amazing shit with 950s and 990s, but that's not me.

At 8k, you should be totally fine - and it's most likely just the gasket.

As long as you realize that she's a 640 single, and not a 950 twin, you WILL totally appreciate what she has to offer in the terms of handling different terrains.

That's my .02 cents ........ and congrats on the purchase. :beer

G.
  8. max.headroom

max.headroom That "Retro" Digital, Ummmm ..... Dude.

Oddometer:
    You can also go to www.ktmworld.com - they have OEM microfiche pics that you can go through to see what goes where, per se. You can select year / bike / sections, to look at it all ....

And also ...... congrats as well on the bike! :beer

G.
  9. skibum69

Oddometer:
    not saying you have to, but you do need to pull a lot apart to replace the gasket and it's worth having a look while you do. The new ones are much better quality. Just saying there was a little boo boo when mine was being done which resulted in new rings. All good
  10. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah I see.. Well maybe I'll let them KTM dealers do this one then:) Hoping that if they screw something up, they'll fix it - they've told me, it's "only" a 200 bucks fix - which is almost free if I compare it to the LC8 world - not sure they would pull the tanks from the LC8 for 200 bucks:) Anyway.. I'm hoping it's only a little leak (bike is quite dirty, so it must took time for it to develope this amount of oil over the base.. It's more like a thin film, than a major leak), and that I could get away with it for this season, and fix it only at winter time.
  11. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Well thats exactly what I'm afraid of.. That the 950 will became useless...
    :(

But! I'm planning to use the LC4 only offroad and take trips with my dad.. Him on the LC4:D So maybe the good 'ol LC8 will still have it's place in the stable. Actualy I'm quite addicted to it's throttle response and power, so I don't think I'll like the LC4 that much more. Well.. time will tell:)
    And what if so?! Still could go trade it for an SE, or SM, or RC8 :D (or a GS:D nah.. just kiddin':))
  12. skibum69

Oddometer:
    my mechanic only charged me $360 for the full rebuild, I was pretty happy with that.
  13. MCLARDIE

MCLARDIE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

great looking bike would like to see some more pictures looks brand new
    :D
    endurists likes this.
  14. ChuckHazzard

ChuckHazzard Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    The corn state,11 curves in 318 miles (Iafalls IA)
    Changed the oil last night and put the recommended 1.9 liters of oil.

It's way above the sight glass on the side of the engine.

When the engine was rebuilt I put the new clutch cover with oil window on her.

What is the recommended oil capacity for a 2001? Did full filter change as well because she has 600 miles on the new rebuild.

The magnets weren't as bad as before the rebuild but not as good as what I have seen on others. She is still getting broke in so I won't worry till perhaps the next oil change?!?

I will take my syringe and suck out the oil to get the proper level. I just think it's stupid to waste $18 a quart oil!

Previous owner never gave me the proper owners manual. Will have to order a new one.
  15. Sumi

Sumi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in love-love:)

[​IMG]
  16. Bendejo

Bendejo Movin' on up

Oddometer:

Did you fill/burp the frame properly?
  17. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    better yet did you unscrew the frame oil allen head drain bolt and drain it all ??
  18. skibum69

Oddometer:
    I made that mistake once:huh
  19. buckingfastered

buckingfastered buckingfastered

Oddometer:
    its a complete 950 front suspension , wheel , discs , calipers, master cylinder etc , with 640 yoks . changed the brake lines so i could fit the high front mudguard, the fork protectors are from an 85cc ex . the full cost of everything was somewhere around £500. the exhuast is an akropovic full titainium non road legal race system and carb has been jetted etc its like night and day from standard lol .
  20. buckingfastered

buckingfastered buckingfastered

Oddometer:
    other side

Attached Files: