BMW R1150RT / 1200RT / R1250RT Mega Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Hondo, Apr 28, 2010.

1. little foot

little foot seriously not serious

Oddometer:
    Yes, i'm thinking i want cruise control and radio. then i can slab it until I tire.
  2. JBADV

JBADV searching for sanity

Oddometer:
    The cruise control is great.The radio is great,I run everything into a mixer and to earbuds,and it is so nice to be able to control the volume,etc...I find the RT is easier to ride and more comfortable than the GSA.Long days are easier,and I can go farther before I'm tired.
  3. Jim-Mer

Jim-Mer Slowing Down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Everything you just said! I moved from a K12RS to a GS to an RT. Today I did 575 miles in 50 - 60 degree weather in upper Michigan, and it is truly a mile eater!

It's a keeper!

Jim
    Canton, OH
  4. mwood7800

mwood7800 Banned

Oddometer:
    Radio sucks. Cruise great. ESA susks
  5. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
    After the ear bud mod the OEM stereo rocks. The thumb wheel is a lot easier to use than the buttons on the zumos.
  6. Emperor Norton

Emperor Norton Kilroy was here

Oddometer:
    What is the earbud mod?
  7. JBADV

Oddometer:
    Buy the BMW plug for the "rear" speakers and wire it to earbuds,or into a mixer and then earbuds. :thumb
    I'm using a Mix-It mixer to bring the stereo,GPS,and radar detector into earbuds.
    I have the mixer in my tankbag,and radar on top of the tankbag.In the front of the tankbag it is plugged into 12 volts and the stereo/BMW GPS from the bike.Then on the back of the tankbag is a plug for the earbuds.It works good.Only two plugs to remove the tankbag to fuel up.I like how it works.
  8. 3Putt

3Putt Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. JBADV

Oddometer:
    Decided to go for a ride after lunch.Pushed the bike outside.Put all my gear on.Hit the start button and it started,then stalled.Now it will crank,but won't start.I don't hear the fuel pump.I called BMW roadside,they will tow it to the dealer in Essex,VT.I have had a few issues with Essex,and others I know have had problems also.I want it to go to Max BMW in NY where I purchased the bike.So I talked with Jim in the service dept.at Max,they are going to pick it up next week.If I have to pay something for the towing,so be it.I will post up what's going on with the bike.
    2012 R1200RT with 7019 miles. :cry
  10. JoeyBones

JoeyBones Encouraging Entropy

Oddometer:
    :ear
  11. JBADV

Oddometer:
    So I had to try to start it again.After several attempts,key on and try to start then key off,there was a weird "squawk" noise from the fuel pump area.The next attempt it fired and quit.The next one it caught and it ran.I have started it a couple more times.But the fuel pump makes a strange noise,a squeak/squawk when the key is turned on.
    Anybody else hear a noise like that from the fuel pump area ? I don't remember it doing that.
  12. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a similar sound on my '08 and believe it is the ESA initialising or doing whatever it does when the ignition is turned on. If you have a 2010-current one they have the exhaust flapper valve and that might be positioning itself for startup as well.
  13. JBADV

Oddometer:
    The reason I think the noise is from the fuel pump is that I didn't hear the noise when the bike failed to start.That,and I don't remember it ever making this "squawk"noise.Now when I turn on the key the noise comes from the fuel pump area.I hear a "click" and then a "squawk".If I cycle the key off then on,after I hear the "squawk",I hear only the click.If I wait a couple of minutes and turn on the key,I hear the "click" then the "squawk".I recall hearing the "click"in the past,but not the "squawk".When the bike would not start I heard the normal sound in the dash area and the exhaust valve,but nothing from the fuel pump area.Not really sure what to think at this time,but I don't trust it enough to go for a ride.
  14. mrsteve

mrsteve Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All,

I lurk more than post (don't think my posts would improve the content to noise ratio), but have been an active reader here for a while.

I've had Japanese bikes thus far, and am thinking about an RT. :D

I'm thinking about a 2nd hand RT and was wondering about the consensus on what is the best year to buy used.

I'd use the bike as a daily commuter and sometimes fun riding machine. I'm looking for best price/value ratio, least problems, easiest to maintain. :ear

I understand that there is a series of brakes that you have to go to the dealer for work. True? I've read in the GS world about shaft drive problems, are those found in the RT? (I haven't seen much written about it).

And (just one more question) where is the best place to find used RTs? I'm in SoCal.

Thanks!

Steve
  15. DirtMerchant

DirtMerchant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Steve,

Buy the newest one you can afford because there are subtle changes "improvements" made nearly every year. I would be less worried about milage then I would be about lack of maintenance within reason.

When I bought my 2011 I was looking for an 07 or newer since I didn't want the servo assist that I had issues with on my 05 GS but I really couldn't find any deals that made sense. The new in 2010 Camhead engine is an improvement over the 2005-2009 Hexhead. The updates on the 2011 such as forks, audio and lack of problematic fuel strip made it worth the extra coin for me; YMMV
  16. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:

JB,

I haven't heard anything like this yet, did you get the bike to MAX yet? Let us know what it turns out to be. Mice or chipmunks getting busy? I left my truck in the driveway for 2 days over the weekend and smelled burning when I started it up last night, the bastiches had already started making a nest between the muffler and heat shield! :eek1
  17. CrustyAPO

CrustyAPO Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use "Ad Hunt'r" when looking on Craigslist. It is a search engine that will allow you to search all of Craigslist.
    http://www.adhuntr.com/.
    BMWMOA has a classified section: http://www.bmwmoa.org/flea/
    i-BMW.com: http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/index.php
    BMW Sport-Touring: http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=2&page=1

That should get you started.
  18. roadstar

roadstar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It`s very strange that after installing the GPS from my FJR to my R1200RT , that now i can`t get the satalite to find a signal. Is it all the extra plastic the RT has over the FJR or is it just that something went wrong with it. Both times it was wired to a fuzeblock under the seat & both times the unit is mounted on the stearing stem.. Hope it`s something i just missed ??
  19. ka5ysy

ka5ysy Doug

Oddometer:
    Does your unit use the external antenna or the internal patch. The Garmin external antennas sometime break the coax and will not acquire satellites.

Finally, have you tried to run the unit freestanding away from the bike and buildings? That will give you some idea if it is actually working. Given its age and being a discontinued unit by Garmin, you probably have one that died.

I had a Streetpilot that did basically the same thing and would not find satellites because the GPS receiver failed.

Looks like a Nuvi in your future ...
  20. Budman

Budman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had purchased a K1600GTL last year and enjoyed the bike for a year and 11,500 miles. It just never felt right and I went back to the RT. Ive ridden it about 2000 miles now and Im really glad that I went back. Got to take care of a couple upgrades and I think Ill be set for a while. I have a new VStream windshield ordered as well as Suburban machinery bar risers. I ordered a GPS hood from RBNS Hoods. Im going to get a Wunderlich trunk rack tomorrow. Im thinking about a Russell seat but Im not really very unhappy with the stock seat. Im inseam challenged (30 inches) so Im not sure the Russell will work out. Id like to find a bike with one to sit on it and see what I think before I plunk down $600.

Did about 240 miles yesterday in the Smokey Mountains, Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt Mitchell, and Asheville. What a great ride on a beautiful day. Im not sure it gets any better than that. Leaves will be turning soon, much sooner than last year I think. Some already turning. If you are coming this way better come in a couple weeks, my bet is that the prime time will be sooner than latter.

Anyway its a great bike that absolutely suits me and my riding style. Glad to have that great boxer back!

Bud