Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics?
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    A rare situation where you're better off using your imagination
  3. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm...let's not go there!:eek1
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  5. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Our man Slowphil at Casa Tricepilot for a visit.

Harmon's BBQ, of course, and talking to Ray Harmon himself.

Then, wrenching on the VStrom in the 98 degree Texas heat

[​IMG]

He's got that Lawrence of Arabia look, don't you think?

He has those Mermite cans on the bike. Very functional.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Making sure good prep before crossing soon at Piedras Negras and heading to Saltillo, then to Zacatecas, then to Durango (hopefully to visit with SR), to Maz, to PV, and then inland to Guadalajara and Ajijic & a visit with Kiko (hopefully). After that........? This is all the plan right now.

He's got a date in Panama in October for the Stahlratte and points in South America.
  6. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    That's not the bruise, that's a reflection from across the room ;)
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    :freaky :rofl :lol3

Good one!
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Slowphil suited up - heading off to Eagle Pass and eventually Argentina and beyond.

Let the Adventure begin :beer
  9. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow that sounds exciting!
  10. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:

Technically, that would be underMOOB.

I think I see some nipple. Definitely NOT artistic.

BAN HIM NOW!

What has been seen, cannot be unseen.
  11. Slowphil

Slowphil Big Man in a very very small pond

Oddometer:
    I most certainly will do that, I'm looking forward to seeing your part of Mexico
    Cheers Philip
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    That is correct, sir!
  13. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know you like menudo:rofl
  14. Pheebs

Pheebs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys and girls!

Been having a bit of a mooch through this thread with much interest as we have a rtw trip coming up (advrider chasing horizons thread http://www.chasinghorizons.co.uk) which will eventually be taking us through the wonderful world of Mexico!

Granted, Mexico is a long way off as of yet ( so we will need to keep reviewing the situation as we rock on through but to date have been given a pick and mix of responses on routes. Originally we were planning to keep it on the West coast line, having heard it is stunning and also to avoid major cities and areas. We were then told that there's been a fair few kidnapping incidents and even decapitated tourists found in piles on the beach so avoid that route altogether and blast through on the toll roads, booking in advance.

Naturally we're wanting to be safe and this option has been top of our choice since various other horror stories but we've also spoken to many others who have shared a completely different opinion and have said stick to our original route and go on instinct / the general feel when we're there. We're kind of sad to have to blast through as it all sounds so beautiful... it would be a shame to miss it all.

So... our question to all would be what areas (if any) would you consider to be real no go's and any which are must go's! Are there any favourite routes or suggestions of? We'll be entering and riding North to South!

Also... there's a slight potential we may arrive during the Day of the Dead celebrations. This excites me beyond belief but once again... what are peoples experiences of this? No go's / do's and don'ts?

Thanks people, really look forward to reading your thoughts :)
  15. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decapitated tourists found in piles on the beach???? Sounds like a HBO tv show.......So anyway.......here is a random question.....is Mexico hayabusa friendly? As in street bike/tire friendly. I am just starting my research for my next trip and this is the first question I could think of.....LOL
  16. mark883

mark883 and the mysterians

Oddometer:
    Busa?

Whack the throttle when you get to the speedbumps.

I did see some BMW K1200GT & 1600GT down there last year for the Durango convention, so I'd guess a busa could do it too.

Pheebs-
    If you look at the statistics, you're probably more likely to kill yourself on your bike in Mexico, rather than the narcos offing you.
  17. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    Couple places in the outback of Michoacan and Sinaloa that you would not ever go to anyway (unless you're Sjoerd Bakker) but by far biggest risk is traffic or burro in road. Suerte.
  18. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Decapitated tourists? WTF?

Hey, if you feel the west coast is unsafe, come spend your money over here on the east coast. LOL!
  19. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    If you are going to make a riding plan based on safety, you’re also going need a plan for Colombia, Venezuela, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama, El Salvador and Brazil. Those countries are all just as dangerous as Mexico. <o:p></o:p>
    [/QUOTE]

So true.
    Just ignore the sensationalized tabloid style news . The beheaded "tourist " story is a derailed account of a bit of intra druggisto warfare, the closest tto a tourist in that strory was some foreign content in the drug dealers who got killed , but drug related nonetheless.
    As I keep saying if you mind your manners stay away from the drug scene and keep alert to situations around you you should be okay most anywhere. And do NOT drive at night on the open highways - they are open to all kind of livestock. (maybe check out page 7 under Sticky :hotels inMexico :norton):D
  20. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am having a hard time getting past the " decapitated tourists found in piles on the beach'. thing. :rofl