Nikon D600...

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Mav, Sep 16, 2012.

1. NikonsAndVStroms

NikonsAndVStroms Beastly Photographer

Oddometer:
    Hell it's a stop better than my D700 :eek1

Looks to be about equal (when scaled to the same size) as the D800.
  2. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, according to DXO Mark, it is the second best sensor ever tested for low light. Right behind the D3s (a $5000.00 camera) and just ahead of the D800E. :D
  3. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I am all packed up, two photo backpacks with my D600 and a Nex 5n and all the associated lenses/filters/chargers/tripods. I am heading off to Yellowstone in a few hours for a 5 day stay.

I am a new Nikon shooter, so all I have for lenses at the moment is a 50mm F1.8G lens and a Tair 33 300mm F4.5 Preset that has a Kiev 6 to Nikon adapter mounted. Sure wish I already had a decent Nikkor telephoto.

It is going to be fun to put the D600 through the paces. I'm sure it won't let me down.

All my Pentax gear is staying behind.

I'll update this thread with some photos when I get back!
  4. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto I knoews I be bad.

Oddometer:
    I really like the 1.8g lens.
    Using it on a d800 and it is up to the task.
    Will Yellowstone be fall colors???
  5. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Howdy everyone. I spent the last four days visiting Yellowstone National Park. I passed through the Grand Teton National Park on my way there (stayed in Jackson over night). Here are a few photos taken with my new D600 and 50mm F1.8 G lens. It was very smoky most of the day, but I got a decent shot earlier in the morning.

These were converted using the Nikon software. I'm not familiar with it and it is very limiting compared to Adobe's Camera Raw, so I didn't do hardly any post processing as I usually would. I can't wait for ACR to update for the D600, these images would be much better.

[​IMG]
    28-Sept-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    28-Sept-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    28-Sept-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

As a side note, I LOVE this D600! Images at 100% are outstanding in detail and sharpness, even at 200% there is really no noise and very little loss of detail.

I'm really going to like using this camera.
  6. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Those are some great shots. Thanks for posting them. Still in the market for a new camera, and now I've got something else to consider. Hmmm...
  7. Colorado CJ

Colorado CJ Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. rotten

rotten LOST AGAIN

Oddometer:
    Great image quality love the lens Great value!
  9. brentde3

brentde3 Should be outside

Oddometer:
    Ah, man. I had just about decided on an Olympus OM-D (I already have some micro-four thirds stuff).

Back to the drawing board.
  10. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    Ken Rockwells got an article on his website stating the 600, 800, and D4, are essentially the same camera and given nobody needs the megapixels of the 800 the 600 is the no brainer choice. best DSLR from Nikon all things considered. according to KR..
  11. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    for most action you usually are trying to center the subject anyway? my D700 has a small hiccup working with the SB 900 and with the Best Buy Black Tie warranty due to the 700 is "discontinued" (even though Nikon USA has them back on their website) if I send it in for service, they may "replace" the camera (give me full refund in store credit) as thats what they did with my D40 and D300 which allowed me to upgrade. I really like the D700 but should they want to replace it I'm not sure which way to go. All else aside the D3S looks like the smart move but they don't carry it. I don't want an 800 and even though I thought I wanted a D4 I now think...I don't.

I'd like to have two 700's is what I'd like to have. MX season is over so it's time to send the 700 in for service but I'm afraid they'll deem it "not repairable" and I'll be forced into a 600 or an 800.

so far the 600 makes more sense? maybe get 2 of those....
  12. Mav

Mav Something witty...

Oddometer:
    You, of all people, would be the last person I would expect to listen to Ken Rockwell...
  13. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I know a lot of people don't care for him and I have no opinion either way. I don't donate..:D

I'm just interested in information and it's a source. he does raise some interesting points in that little write up by him comparing the 3 though.
  14. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't always agree with Ken Rockwell. He more or less admits to being full of crap.
    I have a D600 with MB-D14, and I do share his enthusiasm for the camera. The D600
    works great with the AI, AIS, and AI converted lenses I typically use. I have a 300 F4 AF
    from 1988, but I haven't used it yet, so I have no opinion on the Auto Focus capabilities
    of the camera. Kai Wong, on DigitalRev, reviewed the D600 and thought it had trouble
    focusing on fighters in a dimly lit gym. CRP
  15. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    ken who? :lol3

Kai who? :lol3

The D600 as an entry level camera is very, very good. Sony made the sensor and its as good as it gets. Sure its does not have some of the niceties of the pro bodies but for entry level its an excellent contender. Forget Ken and Kai and their wheel barrows. Its an entry level body and a bloody good one.

It does lack some sealing but everything else screams buy me.

[​IMG]
  16. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Hey Colorado, some nice images there, well done mate.
    The DR is reminiscent of the D800/D4.
    I wonder why? :lol3
  17. CRP6001

CRP6001 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered the D600 before reading any reviews.
    I knew it would be suitable for my purposes by examining the specs.
    Kai and Ken are entertainment, like ADVrider is entertainment. CRP
  18. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    that is freaking cool. I work on electronics (kind of) for a living and seeing that is really cool. I'm very interested in my options as I'm afraid the D700 might get pulled out from under me if I send it in for service. It seems to have a problem running the SB900 flash and as I've had the flash serviced it would seem the camera is the culprit. With the 700 now discontinued should I send it in and they deem it unrepairable under the extended warranty (has happened twice before) I might be forced into making a choice. It seems the D3S isn't even sold in the US anymore? That would be my first chice but I am somewhat limited as the extended warranty is from a big box store (Best Buy) and I'd get store credit through them. They don't even carry the D4 in the stores only online and I think I'm only allowed to buy "in store" so I'm kind of not liking my position. No more 700, D3S, don't want an 800 and would rather have the 3S over the D4..I should have bought another D700 when they were $2200....
  19. runpasthefence

runpasthefence Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welp, my D90 took a bath yesterday out in the boat. I haven't been following the development in the camera world, so it was quite handy that this thread was awaiting a click to "shiny things."

I'm an amateur, but I'd been thinking of making the switch to FX for a while. I'm not sure why...probably just because I don't know what I'm missing, and I like new shiny shit. I could probably sell all of my DX stuff for close to $1000, but I'll have to do some serious cost/benefit analysis on making the switch.

Right now, I'm tempted to say I'm more inclined to buy the D800 over the D600. The price point for the D600 just doesn't seem to fit very well. A few hundred cheaper and it'd be a no brainer, it seems. If I commit to FX, I'm thinking the D800 might be worth the coin.

Of course, the more practical answer is to stick with my glass and buy a D7000. I've got a research to do.

I'll keep y'all updated on how my choice evolves, but I've been cameraless for a day, and I'm already frustrated, so this might be a quick decision.
  20. Dave

Dave Huh? Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is outside Jackson in the Bridger Teton NF, right?

If so, my ex lost her P&S Canon camera up by those trees about 8 years ago. If you see it, could you send it back? :lol3