Nascar 2012

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Motorcyclist, Dec 4, 2011.

1. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Wait for it....
  2. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good for Brad,and Ryan Blaney won the truck race in Keslowski's truck!Awesome.I remember sitting in the stands at Fremont Speedway during an All Star race when Dave's wife was sitting behind us with a baby in her arms,wonder if it was him?I feel old....:cry
  3. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Wow, both of the Eury's fired from JRM in one week. Hope the stress doesn't foul up little E's chase game.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Interesting how this thread has gotten stale and the stands aren't full at the track when we have entered the most "exciting" part of the season.

They'd better do something big or nascar ain't gonna be around much longer.

I'd save stock cars like this;

Drop the truck series ASAP.

Leave Nationwide alone for now.

Cup would go to 10 dirt races, 10 ovals, 10 road courses, 5 race chase at the end...fans pick those five tracks.

That's 35 races, number 36 is to be run at any time between Jan 1st and the last race of the year...drivers choice and points for nascar will match where they finished in the race they chose...Dakar, Baja, Aussie super cars, Pikes Peak, Silver State Challenge, the hillclimb overseas...must be a major race, Indy Cars, F1, Outlaws, superbikes, top fuel or funny cars, drag bikes...I don't care. If the rules allowed like Pikes Peak they could run a cup car.
  5. AZ Air Hd

AZ Air Hd Air heads R 4ever!

Oddometer:
    Umm - I might be wrong, but I thought that ADV Rider was about the "sport" of Adventure Motorcycling!?
    So, if watching NAStCAR is a 'sport' - then You All must be athletes. As much as Beer Bonging is an athletic endeavor...
    Just sayin'/asking...
  6. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    There's so much going on right now, NASCAR slips pretty low on my list. I watch 3-4 soccer matches each weekend, tons of college football, and Red Zone NFL on Sundays. Plus Ryder Cup this weekend. I caught some of the Nationwide, but none of Sprint.

In a sense you're right, tho. I never miss a F1 practice, qualifying or race.
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    So then the question becomes, "If you tape F1, why don't you tape NASCAR?"

And the answer to that was obvious to me before I'd finished asking the question. The TV schedule for NASCAR is to real time like your daily horoscope is to real life.

An F1 race is a nice, tidy 2 hours. The only way it runs longer is if the race is red flagged for weather. Singapore two weekends ago was dry. But they had two safety car incidents. The delay was long enough that the race became a timed event (although it actually only ended about 1 lap short of the full distance.)

NASCAR is so sure of itself that it doesn't seem to care one whit how long its races take. Not only do the endlessly long yellows make for horrible viewing, they also make it impossible to set my DVR accurately. The races gobble up enormous amounts of hard drive space. And even if I bother, I don't like shuttling through the interminable delays. So I just don't record NASCAR.
  8. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Interesting...I don't tape any sporting event other than Nascar if I'm not home.

I'll flip between Nascar and other racing if I'm watching live. I find all the other forms of racing boring to watch, they get strung out and the chance for drama goes away.

Number one thing I'd change for Nascar effective now is...no pitting on a yellow flag.:deal
  9. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:

I wanna see a driver smoking all four tires coming into the pits trying to gain every tenth. :deal
  10. ADK

ADK .

Oddometer:
    NASCAR races were originally made long to provide a day's entertainment. Since tv is so big now , a two hour time limit sounds like a good idea. (except for the Daytona 500) :deal :1drink
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    V-6 is interesting. I'm not a gearhead, but since F1 is planning a switch to V-6 next season, some thoughts do occur to me... brace yourselves for blather!

blather>

* The engine note. Lots of complaints about that in F1. Does a V-6 really sound like a high performance car? Some F1 honchos don't think it does and are worried about how fans will respond.

* The speed. Unless they hamstring the V-6's, I'm sure engineers will have the cars up to current speeds eventually. The history of motorsports is replete with examples of engineers overcoming regulations that were intended to reduce speed.

* The brand. Mercedes and Renault want V-6's in F1 because it's a real-world engine size and they see a connection to their car sales. Ferrari is vehemently against a V-6 engine, because they don't use them. But in NASCAR, fans still have huge brand loyalty and it makes sense to have an engine that powers daily cars.

* Reliability. I dunno, engineering and materials are so good these days, I doubt a V-6 would be any more likely to break down. Seems to me the only reason cars break is because designers who are looking for a competitive advantage don't leave a large enough margin for safety in their calculations. I'd love to see insanely high rev limits, though!

* Cost. Every homologation change is expensive. Is this the right time to make teams spend more money? This is another argument being advanced to kill the V-6 in F1.

/blather>
  12. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What percentage of 'daily cars" use a V8 engine these days, even in the US?! I would guess less than 10%, unless you count trucks. V6s are more plentiful and probably 4 cylinders even more.
  13. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I can't sit through a whole 500 miler without sleeping for some of it. They really should start shortening most of the races again, 300, >max 400 miles.

Smaller engines? Definitely. Stay V8's, but only 250 to 300 cu.ins max. That'll take some speed off them, and bring back even more driving importance.
  14. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    I want bigger engines, smaller brakes and less downforce. Bring back the drivers, like when the track got oiled on the road course earlier this year.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I was referring to the suggestion that NASCAR change to a V-6.
  16. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Turbos!:clap:evil
  17. g®eg

g®eg world's fastest drone

Oddometer:
    yay.. truck racing

[​IMG]

heaps more entertaining than NASCAR

:deal
  18. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:

Can't argue with that, love those water cooled brakes! :clap
  19. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    Noticed that the 2013 chevy for Nascar is called the SS, I guess the consumer version is a 2014 Chevy SS, basically a G8 with Chevy nose and rear end.

[​IMG]
  20. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, you mean the race car will be actually based on a RWD, V8 street car?!? :eek1 I wonder if it will be a 2 door?!