Bike that scooterist may like

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by wannabe1, Jul 18, 2012.

1. tastroman

tastroman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to see a SYM Wolf Classic 350. I like the looks of the Wolf Classic better than the Suzuki TU250.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is a cool bike. Both the Ninja 250 and CBR250 are selling well but the price has been creeping up to over 4K on both of them. If Sym could sell this for around $3600, they might just have a winner on their hands.
  3. Warney

Warney Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. wolf kid

wolf kid n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi I am getting a wolf and i would like to know how good it is from their owners and is it worth 3.000 greens and the overall satisfaction of it:wink:
  5. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Wolf 150 IS a Chinese bike. A while back I was dead set on buying one, for the looks alone. Then I joined the SYM owners forum, and found out it had all kinds of quality issues. The rubber and plastic parts were very poor quality, the paint faded really quick, and it also developed rust quickly. I went to the local SYM dealer (Scooter Invasion in Tempe, AZ) and gave one a good looking over. I did not like what I saw. It definitely looked Chinese, with chintzy parts everywhere, and in fact was completely manufactured in China, not Taiwan. I never even heard it run, just looking at one was enough to convince me I no longer wanted one. SYM scooters seem to have a much better reputation than their motorcycles. Another problem with SYM, since Alliance Powersports became their importer, seems to be an almost complete lack of parts. Alliance wants all work and service to be done by their dealers, and I don't do things that way.

I have never seen the CCW bikes, but it is commonly known they are assembled in the U.S. out of 99% Chinese parts. I mean, a brand new bike with bent forks?

I have been dreaming of a good quality small displacement scooter, perhaps 151cc, with a manual transmission. Half my state is desert, the other half is mountains, and the mountains are off limits to me as far as my Vino 125 and Zuma 125 go, because of their CVTs which do not have a low enough gear range to climb steep grades. The engines lug badly and bog down. I also have an '09 Stella 2 stroke with a manual transmission, and it climbs just fine. Very slow on the long steep climbs, but at least it can be kept spinning in it's powerband, because it has way lower gearing than the Yamaha's. Only problem with it is it is made by LML in India, and the engine is not the best quality. I'm afraid to get to far from home on it. I've already had to replace the top end on it once. Next time I'll build a complete engine out of high quality parts. It's the same as a Vespa engine. But a Stella look-a-like, built by the Japanese, with a manual transmission would be super cool, even if it had to have a FI 4 stroke engine. The styling and manual transmission would still be there, and it would be reliable enough to ride anywhere.

Oh, and this is just my opinion, but those Hondas are UUUUUUUGLY. My idea of what a proper motorcycle should look like would be a late '60s Triumph Bonneville. And even though they do not look as good as the originals, I think the new Bonnevilles are still the best looking bikes sold in the U.S.
  6. wolf kid

wolf kid n00b

Oddometer:
    how about it as far as the engine goes i mean do they run fine? the cosmetic stuff is not a big problem my dad got me one on my early birthday but i didnt get it yet so i would like to know if the engine and transmission is ok on wolf?
  7. tugboat

tugboat MicroTourer (tm)

Oddometer:
    Wonder why some Chinese company doesn't do a Yamaha SR500 knockoff? There is a big demand for those bikes with customizer's.
  8. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check into Suzuki TU 250. Lot more usable all around bike.
  9. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TU250 is a good bike, but costs about $2000 more than the Wolf. You can actually buy a Wolf OTD for $3000, but by the time the Suzuki powersports dealer gets through adding things on, the TU250 will be about $5500 OTD. That's for 2012. The price went up for 2013.

For comments from actual Wolf owners, check the SYM owners forum. Most of their complaints seem to be about cosmetic issues, but poor quality paint, plastic, and rubber parts does not bide well for the quality of the mechanical parts. SYM scooters seem to have none of these issues, which leads me to believe that SYM does not have any say so over quality control on the Wolf. The Kymco Agility 125 is also made in China, and I have not heard anything bad about it, cosmetic or otherwise.