Continental Divide Ride

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Rockies' started by BigDogAdventures, Dec 10, 2005.

1. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Mt Taylor district of the Cibola NF around Grants is also closed. A lot of the CDR goes thru there.

This is going out on a limb, but there has been a little rain and based on history I kind of expect the forests to reopen in a week or two.

So check the Santa Fe and Cibola forests web sites for latest info.

There is also a big fire in the Gila NF. Looks like it is east of the CDR. I don't know of the roads thru there are open.
  2. lm002e

lm002e Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Is this south of Grants? Or the forests more to the northeast of Grants? Thanks for the heads up.

Luke
  3. eddyturn

eddyturn Eternal Wannabe Supporter

Oddometer:
    The big fire west of Del Norte should not affect you as of now. The roads are open through the south San Juans in CO. That being said, the winds have shifted out of the north for almost a week now which can change the course of the fires. The Windy Pass fire was the one south of US160 and close to Wolf Creek that would have a bearing on travel but I think it's still a long way off from the CDR route. Park Creek and Beaver Creek roads are closed but the Pine Creek access that is part of the official route was open as of Monday. Of course, check with the USFS who will give you the wrong info but it's nice to call so that they will feel needed.
  4. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Big Dogs Route is not the CDR route. It doesn't even pass through Colorado. He has an alternate return through Western Colorado, but not necessary.
  5. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Big Dog has lots of routes. His most wesern one was kind of along the Great Western Trail but deviated in a lot of places. I thought he did follow the CDR but I combined his tracks (very old) with several newer riders up to Cannonshot. This gave me a very accurate set with all the wrong turns and detours eliminated. They are on GPSXchange.com
  6. MKJ

MKJ Married w/ Children

Oddometer:
    Jerry,
    I stand corrected. I was referring to the 2010 Mex-Can Route. This is the route we intend to take when we are go.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612543&page=5
  7. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that the one starting east of Nogales and going thru AZ & UT? If so his tracks are really bad. He basically followed the GWT. I have been recording accurate tracks for GWT with a few deviations for gas and motels. Check it out on GPSXcange.com
  8. akmnstr

akmnstr Mckenzie River Huskies

Oddometer:
    formerly Anchorage, Alaska, now Brazoria TX
    My wife and I are in Silver City NM and we can testify that although we are getting rain and the Gila forest is only at advisory 1, road 150 is closed. Fire operations are still being conducted there. We are very disappointed about this. 150 runs between the Gila and Aldo Leopold wilderness areas. We took a side trip to the Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument and saw many spectacular views of the Gila Wilderness. I'd like to come back someday with my backpack and explore it. Although this is the first I've seen it the place has special meaning. It is the first wilderness and was established at the urging of Leopold. Leopold also founded the profession that I made as my life's work.
  9. akmnstr

Oddometer:
    Just to add to my post of a few hours ago. A big storm has moved in and now there are flood warnings to add to the problems with fire closures. Tomorrow we will ride north on tarmac (US 180) for a while an take a look at some roads that will lead back to the CDR (159 at Alma). We may have to continue for some time on paved roads or wait for the dirt roads to dry.
  10. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right now the portions of the CDR both north and south of Grants would be closed. This would be any part that goes on dirt roads thru the National Forest there.

I think there are variations of the CDR thru here. I ride there pretty regularly and am not really sure excatly where the official CDR goes.
  11. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just heard the Santa Fe NF is opening back up tomorrow. Going from stage III all the way to Stage I. Don't know about the Mt Taylor part of the Cibola NF. Bet they aren't far behind. We have been getting lots of rain.

We rode some of the CDR in the north part of the Carson NF today, and it was fantastic.

Edit: I have been informed that the Mt. Taylor area of the Cibola NF is opening this week end.

Don't know about FR 150 in the Gila NF
  12. akmnstr

Oddometer:
    We are now in Salida CO. This has been a rainy and slow trip. We have only had one rain free day. Many afternoons we must camp early or find a motel. We have also been challenged by the trail. The last 20 miles of NM heading north tested the limits of our abilities. Also there is a section of "primitive road" (665) north of Del Norte, CO that was also a challenge. My advice for those coming from the north is that if you didn't think 665 was fun, consider routing around the first section in NM.
  13. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the intel. If you made it through the northern NM section in the rain you certainly have my respect - those roads turn into greasy snot. We hit the section of trail just south of 64 a few years ago after it had rained for days and it brought us to a halt.

Planning do the whole ride starting from the south in a few weeks, so by all means please keep the updates coming. Crossing fingers for no fire and no rain.

cheers
    Jason
  14. dracomm

dracomm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On 7/15 the Northern NM section (20 miles give or take from 17) was not muddy even after a heavy overnight rain. The rocky steep section North of Brazos Overlook is very difficult going north.
  15. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 Did the same thing last Thursday after big rains Wednesday. Mud was minimal and not an issue.

Had no problem going down that hill on a light bike. I also went down it on a KLR a few years ago with no problem that I remember.

I would imagine going up it on a bigger bike would be interesting.
  16. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, I'll be on my GSA so if I don't let you know how interesting it is on a big bike around 8/18 maybe someone can come drag my carcass off the hill.

Is there a good alternative to this section other than Hwy 64/84/17?

cheers
    Jason
  17. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can avoid the down hill by taking a series of roads further east.

I think you take 87A instead of 87. This takes you down to the Los Pinos river. Cross the river and ride along the north side for a few miles. Then there is a slightly steep but not rocky uphill. Then there are pretty good dirt roads out to CO 17. You can cut west to pick up the CDR up FR 250.

This would be a much better route north to south. But to tell you the truth I don't think there is much difference going south to north. You are trading a rocky downhill for an uphill.

Be sure to check a map and plan your route. If you PM me I can send some GPS tracks.
  18. jprhode

jprhode Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Perfecto, thanks. I was looking at doing exactly that but happy to hear the climb out from the river isn't too bad and also that I'm not going to run into some dude's gate. I know there is a section of the river area around there that is private but no idea where that part is.

The little campground along the river there looks pretty cool too. Supposedly fantastic fishing.

Thanks again.

cheers
    Jason
  19. akmnstr

Oddometer:
    My wife and I finished the ride on the 25th and are now homeward bound to TX. We decided not to go to Roosville for our finish, but to ride into Glacier NP on the Going to the Sun highway and returning to the park entrance on US Hwy 2 giving us 2 more crossings of the divide. The park is awesome but filled with vehicles, a real culture shock to see middle America out on vacation in their RVs, Harleys, or whatever. It is a possible alternative ending but be warned you may come away thinking America is doomed. We did two side trips on the way. The first was to the Cliff Dwellings National Monument in NM. Very nice, but it was a 2 day diversion. The second side trip was a day in Yellowstone. Much like Glacier, America was there as well as Japaneses and German tourists. I do want to visit again but in September or October next time.

I should add that there is a challenging section of trail just north of Helena MT. There are some rocky and steep sections, we found them to be challenging and fun. Navigation in this section was also a challenge even with a gps and the mountain bike maps. We never got really lost, only slighty bewildered.
  20. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you download the GPS Tracks? No reason to have any trouble navagating if you have good Tracks.