2012 Moab Adventure

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Rider23, May 31, 2011.

1. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    looks like May 11 to the 21 :D
  2. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    I'm meeting with a guy that spent 20 days in Moab last year and will be getting some track info. :D
  3. RealtorGordonB

RealtorGordonB Plated Dirt Bike :)

Oddometer:
    I did Moab in March April 2011- it was the time of Jeep Jamboree and maybe the economy has slowed it down a bit, but there was vacancies all over town and for my style of riding , the Jeeps were NO ISSUE. I was riding a KTM 530exc and passed hundreds of jeeps- had a blast on that trip.

I have been there 5 times since December 2007- it is awesome, if I had my way.... I'd own a condo there and go at least twice per year- spring and fall.

If you want the cheapest accommodations in town- book in at the Lazy Lizard Hostel, you can get a 2-3 person cabin for $30/night. I have parked my camper there for $7/night- I like having a shower everyday :)

If you want an amazing stay, go on VRBO.com and get one of the new condos 2 story 3 bedroom 3 bath at $150-$200/ night - sleep 5-8person - condo with garage for the bikes and hot tub and pool to soak. Includes washer and dryer- BBQ etc and all the dishes to make some of your meals cheaper. 4 of us had one for a week- Awesome.

Great restaurants in town, most on the main strip are very good.
  4. hewhohesit8s

hewhohesit8s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back from a 21 day trip in CO mainly. Only spent one day in Moab. Want to go back. I need to work out some things here, but if I can swing it, I'd do it. Figure if Ted is taking the 950, I should be ok with the 530.
  5. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that great info! I'm quite impressed with what you can get for that price and it may be the way to go. I was thinking of camping every second night but would love to ride all day in different areas and have a nice relaxing evening :D
  6. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:

I don't think that Good Ted is joining us but Evil Ted is going :evil

But in any event you are welcome to join us :D
  7. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Kind of spooky, but before my last visit to Moab I checked out this site:

http://bedbugregistry.com/search/hotel/l:Moab,-UT/

I ended up camping in my trailer. :(:

I've been leading an annual trip to the area for 25 years. I've found the best weather is the first weekend in May. Give me a shout if you happen to move up your dates and I'll show you around.
  8. RealtorGordonB

Oddometer:
    There were 9 of us mostly Edmonton area guys staying at the Lizard in March- that was my 3rd time there in 2 years and never any problems/bedbugs in the 2 cabins I've stayed in for a week. In March we had 2 rooms and 2 cabins for about 8 days and no bed bug complaints. Biggest complaint would be it's a low end place- shower building is fair- but the showers are hot and free flowing- awesome after a biker day.

The last time I checked , the next cheapest place in Moab area for regular season was $50/ night. Or camping along the river etc. My best stay was the new 3 bedroom condo- nice to stay at a beautiful place with awesome hot tub etc. and cheap when splitting with a group.

Camping in trailer is what a bunch of the guys originally planned, but with the gas prices , it was cheaper to stay at the Lazy Lizard and trailer/pickup truck the bikes down and leave the campers at home.

I'm quite sure you won't have to worry about bed bugs at the Lizard. The cabins are rustic and small, bunk bed, electric heater(dry out clothes), air conditioner, table, a few chairs and bench. Great place for dirty bikers to kick around and have some beers. Just outside town and at the end of a dead end road- property has high fence on 3 sides and cabins are in at the back, so 9 locked bikes left outside was not a concern and no issues for us.

The main building has a kitchen and BBQ's I have never used, but I do use their computer(wireless internet) and watch cable TV. There is a crappy 2 person hot tub I would not use.
  9. RealtorGordonB

Oddometer:
    The Lizard is on the South end of town. Moab area is huge- you may not believe it until you ride it as many times as me or the other guy who has been there 25 years running.

2500 miles of designated offroad is the stat I heard. That's around 3500 - 4000 kms(how wide is Canada?).
    And then bikes add a whole new dimension to the amount of offroad available.

We trailer our bikes to the different areas for the big loops- or trailer 1 or 2 bikes and have jerry cans in the pickup so we can be full of gas at the start points that can be 30 miles out of town- when doing White Rim by this method- stock tanks are empty before the loop is completed.

I'd call this inspiration and give you a sense of what to ride- 1000 miles of Moab
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=426966
  10. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    I really hope I'll be "fully back" to go there with you guys!
  11. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  12. RealtorGordonB

Oddometer:
    looks like we have an ALberta Dual Sport.ca group forming to go to Moab around the 3rd week of April - right after Jeep Week.
  13. DDT Rider

DDT Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I take my family for a southern Utah tour every couple/few years...and have been there a dozen times myself...envy doing that on the right bike...

The reservations might be full already, but one of the most scenic camp areas I've ever been to is inside Arches National Park; The Devils Garden. Any of the sites are really kick ass...site #40 was my favorite. They do have a couple group sites, I forget if you need 8 or 10 folks to qualify.

If you do s search for the park link, there is an online reservation system that is pretty efficient. If you think you might want to check into it, I'd check ASAP. I'm sure there'd be some sites available now, not sure if the "best" are gone. I liked #40 as it was sizable and had trees (we hammock camp)...

Enjoy...Jim
  14. Hosebag

Hosebag Difficult, but useful.

Oddometer:
    You're going to love it, it's remarkable :D

[​IMG]
  15. rinho

rinho Rinho Féroce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    Hi,
    I guess I won't be with you... I want to start the season travelling with my wife, to prevent her not having any vacation if I have a trouble, like this year (had my accident in June).

Still want to go there, probably in september
  16. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    pm'ing evil Ted:evil
  17. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    I'll give you a call tomorrow night Sean =)
  18. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Just returned from 6 days of riding in Moab.... PM me or Mark96....we have 1200 photos and a current memory of the fantastic riding.
  19. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:

:thumb
  20. Rider23

Rider23 Evil Ted

Oddometer:
    BackRoader thanks for the offer =) I will be hitting you up for info in near future along with all the other inmates that where kind enough to offer advice as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk