The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    I never said anything about idle balance, just the routine throttle synchronization on camhead and previous boxers. The new water boxer does not require this.
  2. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was using the current none udjustable idle sync as an example of how they currently know where the valves should be. I. E they can do it now so they can do it for the whole setup on the new engines. I already stated you can and need to adjust the off idle on the current models because it's mechanical.
  3. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am trying to track back to my question to BMW Rep from NJ for him to recommend me to go with Standard GS with low seat option. I had shown my 30" inseam limitation and need for a lowered suspension to him. With Standard, I barely got the bike off the stand and was tippie towing.

Someone here mentioned that Dynamic ESA is not available with Low suspension for the WC. I searched google and could not find the answer. I wanted to confirm this.

Called my local dealer, he said with current model ESA is not available with low suspension, but he could not confirm same holds true for the new water cooled GS.

Does anyone have any answer, or have talked to the BMW rep and gotten any answer whether Dynamic ESA is available with Low Suspension.

.... I wish I was 6 foot tall, and then I wouldn't have had these problems.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:

It looks like it, but it depends on the diameter of the swingarm. I am guessing yes.

Jim :brow
  5. Treadless

Treadless avoiding gravity storms if at all possible Supporter

Oddometer:
    above the soil's surface on the left coast

Have you had the opportunity to mount the h2ohead? I found the seat and seating position much more accommodating to those of us that were short changed in the leg department. And the overall ergos fit me much better than my '05 even with the changes that I made to it. :baldy You may find that the bike may not need to be lowered.

Oh, and about your question, I have no idea about a lower ESA version.
  6. Dude69

Dude69 Usurper of Gov'ts

Oddometer:
    30" inseam.. you should be fine on a standard GS. Mine tops out at 29" and I rode an 08 GS and able to ride 800GS and taller bikes...

Motard stops are the rage... ;)
  7. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is amazing. I couldn't even get the F800GS off the side stand. My dealer always had to remind me that 800GS just not or me, but 1200GS is better option.

I saw one one gentleman at the Long Beach show, about my height and probably same inseam as mine, mounted the bike and was tippie towing. I went before he did, and I was nervous. He said even if he does not flat foot, he's okay with the I pipe tow.
  8. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, I was able to mount the bike, albeit with BMW Rep from the back to make sure if I lift up and can't touch the ground I didn't wanted it fall. Bi was on the toes an not even the feet balls.
  9. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    5'8" 28" inseam, and I can easily ride an R1200GS Adventure. I rode an R1200GS for several years!

Jim :brow
  10. oalvarez

oalvarez Resident Raggamuffin Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could easily ride a GSA too (5'10/30") but I surely wouldn't characterize righting it off the side stand as easy, especially when laden with panniers. .
  11. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    There always are options for the f800gs like a lower seat, dealing with the fork and the suspension. you can gain about 7cms
  12. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    F800Gs is way too tall for me. Not an option. I found R1200GS to be lower than 800GS.
  13. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Back to my original question - in the new water cooled R1200GS, is Dynamic ESA available for low suspension? Dealers don't have this info until March 2013 when they go to Morocco. Has anyone gotten any word from BMW while at the show?
  14. Lcolton_BMWVC

Lcolton_BMWVC Poor College Student

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say thats gonna probably be a no. Since the ESA option has been available, it has never been able to be combined with ESA. That goes for the RT, R12R, R12GS, and even now the F700/800GS's. I would not count on it.

**I will check on the build site to see if both options can be added together, in the morning...
  15. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Prices now announced in the UK:clap

R1200GS - £11,395 - includes ABS, Hand guards, L & R Pannier Fastenings but everything else is an option

R1200GS Enduro - £12,435 - c/w Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro-riding modes
    Daytime Running Lights
    Cruise Control
    Cross Spoke Wheels
    Hand guards
    L & R Pannier Fastenings

R1200GS Touring - £13,815 -
    Heated Grips
    Tyre Pressure Control
    Led White indicators
    Enduro ASC with Enduro ABS, Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro & Enduro Pro riding modes & Dynamic ESA (semi active suspension system)
    LED Headlight with Daytime Riding Light and twin bar rear light
    On-Board Computer Pro
    Preparation for GPS
    Chrome plated Exhaust system
    Cruise Control
    Hand guards
    L & R Pannier Fastenings

The Touring is going to be the big seller; 85% of all previous R1200GS's had the Dynamic & Premium packs on & the Touring is the equivalent.
  16. Lcolton_BMWVC

Lcolton_BMWVC Poor College Student

Oddometer:
    Shows how much I know. On BMWs order site today it let me add options 191 Dynamic ESA and option 499 Low Suspension.

It is still early for a deffinative answer, but it appears as though BMW has finally figured out ESA and low suspension... :clap
  17. Montauk

Montauk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Holy Smokes Batman! You da man. You have given me hope.

I like to at least flat foot as much as possible. With enduro riding especially, you will not always have a leveled surface, mostly it would be very uneven.

Flat footing on my current bike, I can relax while stopped and sitting on the bike for good 20 minutes.
  18. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    If life is hard for those with dachshound length legs it's not so much easier for us who are on the opposite end of the scale.
    A cramped riding position is not so much fun if you have even a half desire to "iron butt" a trip.
    I have lowered my pegs about 50 mm and also made them pivotable, makes a big difference on a long day in the saddle.
    Ok it's dead easy at the red lights :D
  19. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Can you tell us how this pricing compares with the camhead GS?
  20. AdvStrider

AdvStrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's virtually identical:wings