Trials Boots for ADVing

Discussion in 'Trials' started by RaY YreKa, Jul 20, 2009.

1. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I like my MX style, all hooked-up, super-protected boots, but for most road work it's hard to get good feel for the back brake and I need to mod the gearshift to take into account the larger profile of the boot.

So, my question; do any of you trials riders use a solid, well protected boot that has good feel while on the bike, that could be used as an all-purpose DS boot?
  2. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:
    I think the closest you can come without compromising *all* ankle support and shin protection would be the Sidi Discoveries/Aerostich CBTs. For obvious reasons, Trials boots are very flexible at the ankle.

Personally, I've made the switch to wearing MX boots all of the time. I wear Sidi Flex Force and Sidi Crossfiles, which both have a hinge at the ankle (easier shifting/braking) but offer excellent armored support and are quite comfortable (albeit heavy) while walking around. I had a backwards slide-get-off in June that twisted and sandwiched my lower leg between a rock wall and the bike, but instead of a break I only suffered a mild sprain. I'll happily trade a little awkwardness for good protection.
  3. Squanto!

Squanto! Master of Silent Death Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of Gaerne Balance trials boots that are fabulous Trials boots and comfortable enough to go hiking in. That said I would be hesitant to wear them on the road or in an off road (Dual Sport) situation. They are just too flexible and really lack impact protection (as do most Trials boots).
  4. agmoto

agmoto Gôremā

Oddometer:
    I use the Alpinestar no-stop Trials boots for almost everything motorcycle related. They are much more comfortable IMO than standard MX boots. They have a bit more flex\give to them, but feel plenty protective to me. The only time they ever let water in, is if the water I'm standing in is higher than the top of the boot. Otherwise I've yet to have my feet get wet in them. They were pricey at just under 300$ or so, but I feel they will last for quite some time. To compare, the Gaerne's are known to be a bit more bendy when compared to the Alpinestars. The Alpinestars also have a thick bottom that is a bit more round as opposed to the flat of the Gaerne (from what I've seen). Comfy for walking, riding, and sitting around. I dig em!

Andrew
  5. jjustj

jjustj Long timer

Oddometer:
    Back in Colorado. Cedaredge or delta or.....
    all uses, but will be getting some Garne SG 10 s soon for the dual purpose 450 exc, smacked my ankle a few weeks ago and decided MORE Protection is needed, ill get used to feeling the brake pedal ( I hope).
  6. Gordy

Gordy SUPPORTER

Oddometer:
    The Gaerne balance has no ankle rotation protection, The only MX/DS boot that I have worn that offers both protection and the ability to feel the brake is the Gaerne SG 10. You will like em!
    I am sure that there are others, but that is the only one that I have been impressed with. The SG 12 is supposedly even better for feel, but i had to draw the line at the five bill price tag.:huh
  7. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb
  8. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    +1 The hinged ankle makes a big difference. I bought and resold three pair of MX boots before finally getting the SG10s. Nothing else came close in terms of feel and fit. I have wide feet also, which excluded some other good brands like Sidi and Forma. Nobody carries them locally, so I scored a pair on fleabay for a smoking deal.
  9. wolvertone

wolvertone Save a mile-Kill a metre!

Oddometer:
    I'm brand new to trials, and wondered what I'd do for boots.

Then I remembered, my old riding buddy gave me his fathers Alpinestars Hi-Point motocross boots that he bought back in the 70's or (80's?). You know, the ones with the leather strap buckles and metal shin guards? On any Sunday, Malcom Smith, etc....

Well, I put them on and they are perfect, at least for a novice. Uber thick leather, supple and soft, lots of flex in the ankle and thick sole. Not really that heavy.

Best of all, free!

I've seen them on eB@y from time to time, so might be an option for someone.

[​IMG]
  10. JTT

JTT Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those Hi Points are lovely! They'll work to get you started in trials, but you will eventually want to convert to a true trials boot. In trials you do a lot of walking sections on slippery ground and will need the lugged sole as well as finer feel on the controls eventually.

I just converted to Combat touring boots for my touring use. The resemblance to the Hi Points were a large reason for my decision!
  11. wolvertone

Oddometer:
    those have a fairly aggressive sole, and are easy for walking in.

If you could get a pair cheap, it'd take some of the sting out of all the startup costs... until you got better.

Plus, they're already broke-in!
  12. 2Ply

2Ply Curt Long - 2Ply

Oddometer:
    Plus 1 on the No-Stops. In 35 years of Trials, I think I've tried almost all of them by now (including the early Dunlop Rubber Boots of the 70's) and the Alpinestar No-Stop is currently the only one that fits my lower leg and doesn't form folds in the leather at the ankle nor toe area that other boots do. Those eventually bruise my feet at the ankle or just above the toes.

But to answer the original question, I have never felt the need to compromise and go with more protection and less flex, but then I only own Trials Bikes now and none of them are Street Legal so faster road riding is not in my program.
  13. mrkartoom

mrkartoom Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I have a set of Gaerne Balanced oiled boots that I got for dual-sporting. If I am doing any serious off-road I slap on my Sidi Crossfires instead for more protection, as the Gaerne's don't offer much. The Sidi's are the most comfortable mx boot I've ever owned, but even still I wouldn't want to walk far in them. The Gaerne Balanced I can walk all day, so it's a trade-off. Now that I have my first trials bike I have more use for the Gaerne's.

I also have a set of Novogar trials boots that I purchased "accidentally", but that's another story. They are a good bit stiffer than the Gaernes and I'm starting to use them more for dual-sporting. Not the protection of an all-out mx boot or the comfort of the Gaerne's, but a decent in-between boot.

Hey 2PLY. :wave
  14. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    I like them a\for everything, but now finally found a set of the original 1970s Hi Point MX boots which are perfect for trials thru street riding and light MX which is all I do. I originally bought them to ride my Supermoto around soince the regular MX boots now are soooo frig stiff. Love botht ehGaerne Balance and the Hi points. When i go anywhere someone wants to buy the Hi points though......they have the uber cool chrome shin guard.
  15. Sniper X

Sniper X De Oppresso Liber

Oddometer:
    Central New Mexico, 7420ft above sea level
    Oh craqp! Didn't see these until I went thru my whoile post! Those are like mine but mine still look brand new.
  16. wolvertone

Oddometer:
    I know, don't they feel awesome? I love mine, and I wear 'em dual sporting too.
  17. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Gaerne Balanced oiled boots
    That is my Trials boot and my DualSport boot, Have two pairs
    :clap
  18. fiep

fiep Long timer

Oddometer:
    hmmm, I started trials riding with hinged MX boots, don't work
    MC boots have scaled soles, to keep your knees and ankles from getting twisted, when you slide a foot on the ground
    and MC bots have stiff soles
    trials boots have knobby soles like hyter aggressive hiking boots, to keep your feet ON the pegs, even on the short end of the pegs without slipping
    trials boots have flexible soles
    not sure about the H-Points, but even in the day there were quite a few enduro boots on the market, lighter than MX boots with hiking boot soles
    they would work for trials, or nowadays BMW Santiago or the like

anyways
    on road, for dual sporting and for trials I have A-star No Stop, they fit my feet better than the Gaernes, I would love to have the waterproof membrane the Gaernes have, but ... oh well
    off road I stick with MX boots
  19. cueball

cueball should'a walked it first Supporter

Oddometer:
    lake serene, ms. at least it was 'til i moved in!!
  20. mung

mung Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have the No Stops for the trials bike but no way in the world would I wear them for regular off roading. Nowhere near enough ankle support and foot protection. For off road I will take my Tech tens every time.