I hit a deer this afternoon 2 up in N. AZ

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by ript, Sep 8, 2012.

1. JeffS77

JeffS77 cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    wow crap I did not even see it the first time I watched the video..glad you and the wife are ok
  2. GISdood

GISdood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One camo-ninja deer down... several hundred thousand or more to go! Glad to hear you and your other half walked away nearly unscathed.
  3. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I think it great that the OP not only wasn't hurt, but that he gets to chop up and eat the d***** thing.
  4. Effervescent

Effervescent Sexiest ADVrider '20

Oddometer:
    WOAH!

On the fourth viewing, I finally say something.

Glad all is well.

-Eff

PS Hero (not Hero 2), right? Mounted to top of helmet?
  5. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn't even see the deer at all until I watched the video again. Good job keeping your cool. Glad it wasn't worse.
  6. ript

ript redneckjedi

Oddometer:
    Hero 2, mounted on the top of helmet.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Now, Klim vs Rukka.... :evil
  7. Argus16

Argus16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lucky bastard.
    You were given a gift.
    Now go make something of your life.
  8. Entrepre-neer

Entrepre-neer Ultimate Tight A$$

Oddometer:
    Just watched the video!! I've been knocked off course more than that getting hit by bugs. Scary how well hidden it was!!:eek1

Seriously though, glad you and your wife are ok!!!! :clap

That fuzzy rack will look good on your wall and the rest will look good in the freezer.

I gotta get a bigger bike the next time I take on a deer so it's not such an even match. :rofl

[​IMG]
    http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19250577&postcount=17
  9. ript

ript redneckjedi

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Glad you survived your encounter as well. I'm not sure i'd have fared so well had he jumped like yours. Grats on finishing the rally! did you get bonus points or time for petting the wildlife? :D
  10. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The weight of the big GS does have its advantages.

This isn't the first time I've heard of GS owners coming out well from animal impacts. I knew a guy who hit a large coyote doing about 70mph. He had a nasty tank slapper, but pulled it out. Upon inspection, there was coyote hair wedged deeply into the bead area between tire and rim. :eek1 Obviously, the coyote was toast.
  11. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    I hit a huge dog which jumped out at me. I had like .2 seconds to react so I didn't. I hit the dog which was so big that its hair was embedded in the bash plate meaning it was wider than the GS's ground clearance. Like I say - a BIG dog.

I didn't even have a tank slapper. All I felt was a big bump. The bike tracked perfectly throughout the front wheel, then the bash plate then the back wheel running over the animal.
  12. swann

swann Just practicing...

Oddometer:
    Amazing! It was really hard to see the deer, had to watch it again. Wow. Glad it didn't take you guys out!
  13. Royalwapiti

Royalwapiti McGillicuddy's pal

Oddometer:
    Glad to see you made it through this. They kill riders up here all the time.

I will be on Lake Mary Road helping my son with a elk hunt in November. We'll be staying at the Happy Jack Lodge. I was there in August scouting and and we stayed at Stoneman Lake at a friend's cabin. Your post hit home with me, my favorite vacation area.
  14. DurtKlod

DurtKlod Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow! I just came across this. I watched your video over and over and other than a little wobble right at the beginning, I would have never known you hit anything.
  15. WhichWayNow

WhichWayNow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :deal

This is well worth repeating. When one is startled and starts running, others will usually follow in the same direction, even if that direction is straight into your path.
  16. LuluOfDenver

LuluOfDenver The peanut gallery.

Oddometer:
    So, I hit a deer about two weeks ago. Actually, I guess I should say a deer hit me. I was riding a little twisty 2 lane highway and was trying to keep an eye out for them. I had seen a number of them on that stretch, but at the wrong time, was looking out the wrong way. He came at me from the left, and I barely had a moment to realize he was there before he hit me. His antlers hit my left hand/hand guard and some part of his body hit my left leg.

He ran off to the right, apparently not particularly harmed. My hand swelled up pretty well over the course of the evening and my hand guard was totally tweaked and will need to be replaced. But, other than a hit and scary wobble, and a crap ton of adrenaline, it ended well.

I have a friend who swears his deer whistles on his car make a difference and keep them away. I have a Stebel horn on my bike and have used the "train" to scare wildlife away, but it doesn't work for this kind of incident. I'm thinking of installing a deer whistle. Anyone have any opinions about them?
  17. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    I'm glad you were okay.

Gotta love those big heavy bikes.
  18. Gundy

Gundy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad you are ok. Deer hits are a real problem here in the area surrounding Valley Forge....thanks for the reminder and yes, much better to just hit the brakes anytime you see them near the road. They are very used to cars and will graze along the edge of busy roads, but then they hear a bike (unfamiliar noise), get spooked, and often make a run for it, sometimes right into traffic....

They instituted "deer culls" the last two years. Sharp shooters go in with night vision and take a few hundred out per year. Forests are seeing the first new growth since the mid 80s. Far fewer car hits too...
  19. LBourque

LBourque G/S nut

Oddometer:
    Glad you two are OK. I live in Cornville and always do the Happy Jack, Mormon Lake loop just for giggles. Been stopped in the middle of the road by elk,especially during hunting season. You were very lucky!
  20. Loutre

Loutre Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer:
    Wow! I think you owe big time to your heavy beemer. I didn't even see it the first time I watched the video. I understood something went wrong when you turned around.