Richmond VA Commuter Tag

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by meltonbmm, Aug 24, 2008.

1. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    Many of you have been playing VA Tag O Rama. Its been a lot of fun. Not all of us have the time in our busy lives to ride across the state. Lots of us would enjoy grabbing a tag on our way to or from work. Hence, the name "commuter" tag.

Any inmate can play this game. You do not have to live in Richmond or even the state. If you are retired and don't have to work. Or you are independently wealthy, great you have more time to ride than the rest of us. Play along.

The geographic limits to the game are the following:

City of Richmond
    Hanover County
    Henrico County
    Chesterfield County
    Powhatan County
    New Kent County
    Dinwiddie County
    City of Petersburg
    City of Colonial Heights

Rule #1 "One tag at a time and county roads are acceptable (no dirt) but the tag must be findable. Include clues in your tag. Don't make the clues useless, not everyone is a Jeopardy contestant wanna be." Retro

Rule #2 File photos are acceptable for setting a tag, BUT are unacceptable for claiming a tag. (This ain't tag JoMomma style.)

Rule #3 No whining.

We want this game to move as quickly as possible. We want a tag in the morning and a new one in the evening. Claim the tag going to or from work. Post your new tag immediatly when you arrive at work or come home from there. (Tag hogs will be prosecuted by negetive peer pressure. The game must move forward.)

For those of you who are new to tag in general. This is the way it works. A photo is taken of a bike in a scene. It is posted on this thread. Clues are provided for the tag's location. You solve the clues or recognize the location from the pic. You ride out to the location. Put your bike in the same scene.Take a pic and identify the location in your post's subject heading. If you are the first to post your pic on the thread, then the new tag's location is yours to determine. The cycle repeats itself.

This is your opportunity to share with other inmates your favorite haunts around Richmond.

I will post the first tag at 7am on Monday morning.
  2. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    Round the Yankees a circle he did ride.
    Twelve hundred horsemen raised the Southern pride.
    Father in law gave chase
    But failed to win the race.
    [​IMG]
    BE CAREFUL: Traffic is heavey along this Ave. that has two other mounted men. Make sure you figure out which is the right monument before you ride.
    Do not park your bike where mine is. Find a safe place. As long as you can get your bike and the horseman in the same pic its your tag. Sorry for the poor pic. It was early this morning.
  3. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    At least medical care is near by if you don't follow meltonbmm's warning! :evil

I like the game! I'll be in the truck this week, but hope to catch a tag soon. I've been scoping out a few cool tags on my occasional commute on the bike. As soon as school starts back, I'll be able to ride more! :clap

- Jimmy
  4. pplassm

pplassm Brace for collision! 40488

Oddometer:
    Can't read photobucket at work.

Which loser is it?

:hide
  5. mikeDR650

mikeDR650 Yo!

Oddometer:
    Haven't tried this yet. What is the process? I suppose I need to find a (free) website like Photobucket, create an account, post the photo, then copy & paste the link here?
  6. J2Jonner

J2Jonner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tonsolitis has me down and out at the moment, but if it's not claimed by the end of the day I will see if I can make there without falling over..
  7. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    MAJ:GEN:J.E.B. Stuart equestrian statue Monument Ave....
    [​IMG]

I should have a new tag up before 5pm....
  8. SRMN8R

SRMN8R Down & Out

Oddometer:
    Looks even better in the daylight!

Good job Michhub! :clap

I've been wasting time before heading to Appomattox just to see who'd get it! :rofl

Hey, I'm going to have a trailer full of atv's this afternoon - can I use one of those to tag??? :lol3

- Jimmy
  9. Michhub

Michhub Major Medical Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    "After the Battle of Cold Harbor in June 1864, Grant and Lee shifted their armies to Petersburg; but Grant did not wish to abandon the Richmond front entirely.
    He had Gen. Benjamin Butler position a small force from his Army of the James here
    at <this place> to protect the pontoon bridge which allowed Union forces to move back and forth across the James River.
    Federal detachments launched attacks here on July 25 and August 13 1864. The Army of the James continued to use this
    key river crossing at <this place> until the end of the war."

Additional photo clues:
    https://michhub.smugmug.com/photos/358813152_yCYq8-X2.jpg
    https://michhub.smugmug.com/photos/358813172_8cbiD-X2.jpg
  10. FOXedupONE

FOXedupONE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh no you didn't Melton!:bash

Richmond Commuter tag??:poser

:lurk
  11. mikeDR650

mikeDR650 Yo!

Oddometer:
    He needs to go to "TA": Taggers Anonymous!
  12. motocav

motocav toy addict

Oddometer:
    Damn. Why am I at work when I could be out messing around on the niner. I think I know where that next tag is.
  13. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    Michub is going to dominate this game. He snags the first tag and posts the new one before rush hour begins. He is like greesed lightening on that KTM. I thought I was seeing an orange sunrise in front of ol' JEB Stuart. This game is getting off to a fast start. Before you all leave work let me give you a new destination to stave off that nagging wife. You will still make it home for dinner!

[​IMG]
    Nice tight turns on the entrance road. Beautiful rural landscape and history to boot. Good job. You get the thumbs up ADVrider salute.Thanks to mikeDR650's fast internet, I was able to get this tag.
    [​IMG]
  14. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    This is a small triangular shaped piece of ground, bordered by Patterson Ave. on one side. If you like to cut your own firewood you will find the 2nd road. The 3rd. road is a coral that horses are kept in.You will find this VA historical marker next to a Rescue Squad.

Most Richmond Civil War History is on the east side of our city. (Mich your a lucky man to live there.) Grant and McClellen were perpetualy concerned about their supply lines. To equip a large force ports for ships were needed. So the James and York Rivers were used by the union.

On my side of town (west) there was little action. But the marker does tell you about a union cavalry raid. Get the pic and name the raid.
  15. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to see you start one in Charlottesville!:thumb
    You will have the whole town mooning backhoes. :kat :poser
  16. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    This game is going to move fast. :D
    Check your computer one last time before you leave work.:lol3
  17. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    Yep, Its a hereditary condition like alcholism.
    :loaded
  18. J2Jonner

Oddometer:
    Dahlgrens Raid Sign, Bound By Patterson, Horsepen, & Three Chopt.

Attached Files:

19. J2Jonner

Oddometer:
    This one is perhaps better to the original Tag photo:

[​IMG]

Will have the next one up soon.
  20. meltonbmm

meltonbmm Kodesh2

Oddometer:
    :clap WOW. That was fast. Were you following me?:lol3

I live right around the corner. Come on over for a beer!

But there is still daylight. And I know you are posting the 4th tag of the day.

This is puttin VA Tag O Rama to shame.:lol3

Slow down boys. We don't want to cause another Civil War.:wink: