SW MO - BS thread, RIDE RIDE RIDE

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by HillbillyNinja, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Gray Dragon

Gray Dragon Geezer rider

Oddometer:
    Welcome to our little hole in the wall.

HillBilly Ninja grew up around Mark Twain NF, I'm sure he knows several trails in that area. As far as street riding there are several nice (read not straight) roads in that area.

I'm up in Joplin but I can make it down there with a little planning.
  2. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    he aint lyin! But then you already know that..:deal
  3. HillbillyNinja

HillbillyNinja Long timer

Oddometer:
    My Grandfather had a cabin near EagleRock when I was growing up. There's lots of great trails and fire roads and access roads to ride around on in the area. If you're into street riding, the roads through the parks are usually very empty and every bit of the quality of the more Famous Roads! I currently don't have a DS bike but expect to talk the wife into one this spring. I've got my eyes on Yosso's bike, but if that fails, I see a KLR in my future. Oh, and I've got a couple of fly rods:deal I'll bring the beer!
  4. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
    I had thought we had all agreed to tell the out of stater's that our roads suck and they shouldn't bother to come visit!:evil Just kidding of course, but we have some amazing scenery and roads to ride in Southern MIssouri and Northern Arkansas. The Ozarks don't get the press that the other two mountain ranges get and that is fine with me. Branson is crowded enough being the Hillbilly Nashville, the last thing we need is for our twisty bits to end up like the Dragon!:lol3
  5. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What all do i need to do to make sure I'm legal riding in the National Forest? I've never ridden on public property. And the laws may be different from Texas.
  6. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
    When you see a Park Ranger, you haul ass in the opposite direction! All legal!:lol3 :lol3

Seriously though, you need to have a spark arrestor and a valid drivers lisence doesn't hurt. There are a few trails that are designated for horses or hikers only, but they are usually clearly marked on the maps and trailheads. Avoid those because you can get into a bit of trouble there, plus you look like an ass to the non riding public. Most trails however, are open for anything and as long as you're not a total hellbent hooligan you will be ok. I've never in all my years of riding in Mark Twain been stopped or asked to show my spark arrestor. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, it has never happened to me or anyone I have ridden with on a regular basis.

If you plan on fishing, you had better have all your ducks on a row. MO conservation agents take that stuff very seriously and will stop and search your coolers/gear/car for violations. I was once stopped on the Jack's Fork river in a canoe by a ranger in full camo hidding behind logs...He went through my tackle, lisences and coolers to make sure I was ok. They will enforce wildlife laws especially on out of state people.
  7. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chadwick riding area is in the NF and a permit is required to be legal
    there dont know about other spots. I think the one you get for Chadwick
    covers you through Mark Twain but not sure.
  8. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How do you get one of those?
  9. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    Local gas station.

I've heard that if you get caught without one and it's $1000.. no second chances.
  10. wayno

wayno Long timer

Oddometer:
  11. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
  12. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
    Now I'm concerned that I'm some outlaw biker guy! I'm going to call the Cassville ranger station(where I stop to get all my topo maps when I go ride and ask about trail conditions...) and find out what the skinny on this is.
  13. DrLewall

DrLewall ADV Has gone to SHIT

Oddometer:
    and then report back here and let us know?? :deal Being a foreigner, I sure would hate to do time abroad just for tresspassing without a permit! :evil
  14. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    I was once stopped on the Jack's Fork river in a canoe by a ranger in full camo hidding behind logs...

What part of the river was that on and when did it happen?
  15. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
    That was on day three of our 4 day float. WE put in at Highway Y and if I had to guess, we got stopped between Fish Trap Hole and Alley Springs. This happened 4 years ago! Are you the ranger in camo?
  16. NechesBobcat

NechesBobcat Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ditto! This is all stuff I need to know. I start enough trouble around here. Don't want to start any more in MO.
  17. Gunslinger1

Gunslinger1 GIVE'R

Oddometer:
    Are you the ranger in camo?[/quote]

No.......I have spent a ton of time on that river.....and didn't realize that went on. I know they do it on the Current trying to keep up with the drug use.....
  18. CalculatedRisk

CalculatedRisk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer:
    No.......I have spent a ton of time on that river.....and didn't realize that went on. I know they do it on the Current trying to keep up with the drug use.....[/quote]

Unfotunately it does. Jack's Fork is pretty sparsely used compared to the current river, but it's a trout fishing stream so it does get patrolled pretty heavy for that. I love JF river and Black river. Two of my favorite to float down for a few days.

You couldn't get me on the current river with a gun to my head....too many floating boomboxes and rampant drug use and way overcrowded.
  20. HillbillyNinja

Oddometer: