The Complete KLX250/KLX300 Long Term Review Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by bmwhd, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ZIGGYND

ZIGGYND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not anywhere near these areas, but I do own both an '09 klx250s and an '09 klx140. I've gotta pull the tank off the 250 this weekend for some carb tweaking and I can see how it fits on the 140. I kinda doubt the 140 shrouds will work with the 250 tank though. If you're interested I'll give it a shot and can throw some pics along with the results up when I'm done.
  2. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Got my bike (2006) back today from its suspension upgrade. Used .44 front springs from Race Tech with 120mm of 7wt oil. Compression settings at 14 clicks out. Rear shock got a new 6.2 spring with compression at 10 clicks out, and rebound at 6 clicks out with 100mm of sag. All of those are baseline settings which I will start from.

It's December in Iowa so a day of off-road riding is out of the question right now, but I did mess around on some trials logs, a small foundation ledge, and other things in my backyard. Seems to be a different bike!

[​IMG]
  3. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    Quick gas range question for you all; I just got back from Death Valley and I'm hoping to find a way to get some more range out of my bike. I have a 2009 KLX with a 331 and most other mods. It has the IMS 3 gallon tank, plus the 1.1 gallon aluminum tank that goes on the left rear. My range is probably around 175 or so, never actually ran it to dry.

What is the best way to increase range? I would love to not have to strap on a rotopax type mount. For the 2009+ is there a bigger tank than the IMS 3 gallon?

I would feel much better heading way out into the desert if I had a 250+ mile range, as is now I get a bit worried taking off out there.

Thanks.
  4. brieninsac

brieninsac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe you have the biggest gas tank you can get for the KLX. I guess you could try and work on improving the gas mileage. I get 51 mpg based on my mods (below). I recently got a Kolpin gas can (1.5 gals.) for extra miles. I've seen many put two of these on their bikes.

Here's how I did mine.
    http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/klx-250s-71/safe-transport-kolpin-its-side-39358/
  5. Pauls2ndblessing

Pauls2ndblessing Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have on beautiful KLX there bud, glad to here the bike is feeling like a new one, I'll be getting some suspension work done sometime in Jan/Feb :) Looking forward to it!

What kind of differences are you noticing? I did read that you haven't had much time but I'm eager to know!

Does anyone know if there is a way to bleed the air on an 09 since it's short "bleeders" up front?
  6. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    Front end dive under braking is gone. Logs are easier because the stinkbug stance is gone...way too much sag with the stock setup. I need a decent day so I can go ride it hard offroad and see what I have.
  7. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    The Acerbis 3.7 gallon tank will fit the 2009+, but the fit is not quite as nice as with the 06/07. https://gsnorcal.smugmug.com/gallery/5326416_wmUMY#!i=325391696&k=swZcE
    Plus that's a hefty price to pay for just 0.7 additional, unless you can find a buyer for the IMS. Acerbis tank does offer some nice radiator protection. I really like mine. I've pulled 200 miles all loaded up on one tank (with a few oz to spare). As mentioned above, maybe work on jetting to fine tune and improve the mileage. Good for you for acquiring one of those Bake 1.1 gal aluminum tanks.

I see guys doing a long Idaho ride using fuel bladders. Strap to the bike or around their neck, and empty it into the bike asap.
  8. Lutz

Lutz Fuzzy Rabbit

Oddometer:
    The pic above is the 3.7 gallon Acerbis tank. I have that exact tank on my '09, but it is not a straight bolt on...some minor details to work out. It is also available in green. It doesn't drain the last 0.5 gallon or so without tipping the bike to the side repeatedly, but at least the gas is there. I've gone about 180 miles without running completely dry...but close.
  9. Jon_PDX

Jon_PDX Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very cool.....I like it :thumb

10. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:

I had heard that those tanks can be made to work, but it seems like a lot of money and effort to get not much extra gas. From what I've read (may or may not be true) you end up with a realistically usable amount of like 3.5 gallons at best. That's only a half gallon more than my IMS that's already on there.

I wish IMS would make a 4.7 gallon like they do for the WR.
  11. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds I'm alive.

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
    I also doubt the 140 shrouds will work. Maybe the 250 shrouds? With a bit of cutting? A guy could work with that.
    Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
    Post up pix of all the problems too. There are some clever people here that may have solutions!

Thanks
  12. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put the .44kg MotoPro springs in the front a couple years ago and got rid of that front end dive. It used to feel like I was going to go over the bars when pulling up to a red light.Good info on all the suspension starting points, but what do you weigh?
    What's that sticker you have on the front fender?? :lol3
    Dan
  13. Bultaco206

Oddometer:
    I'm 220 lbs in riding gear. I ride this thing like I do my racebike and I've got a similar setup in that. The high-speed hits on this KLX were brutal.

That sticker? :evil
    Dirtleg likes this.
  14. IDRIDR

IDRIDR Take me to the River

Oddometer:
    If you haven't valved it...consider. I did the spring first. Then RaceTech gold valves. mmmmm :D
    Nice improvement. 200 lbs dry. Acerbis tank. 0.46 fork springs. 6.0 shock spring.
  15. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    Couple pics from my recent trip to Death Valley.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Feel free to PM or email me from here for any information about the tensioner. I can attach the instructions for installation which include adjustment process too, but that information is also posted on the site too.

I'm always open to messages or even phone calls. That's part of the fun of doing the tensioners. Fact is that's how TNC and I got together to do the first 250 tensioner - he contacted me and asked if it was possible - it was and we did.
  17. Dan888

Dan888 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great shots!! I like that type of desolate beauty.
    Glad you made it out of there alive. :D
  18. Shwafish

Shwafish Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I already went to the website and read the instructions. If I have any trouble when I eventually have to adjust it I will ask but it seems like you kept it pretty simple so hopefully I can't even screw it up.:rofl
  19. Eastbayview

Eastbayview Ride On

Oddometer:
    I installed one a few months ago. Very easy to adjust with the engine warm and running.
  20. inroads

inroads Go West old man

Oddometer:
    Is a MCCT a should do? I know that on pre 2003 DRZ's it is. Has there been some failures out there?
    Or is this just,to be on the safe side, install on the KLX?