Touring Box ideas for LONG Vespa Ride this Summer

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by rajavw, Jan 27, 2012.

1. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A long distance ride is in the works, hopefully this summer. Any ideas for a sturdy large rear box and front box would be appreciated.

I'm wondering if anyone has put a 24 Gallon Action Packer on the back of their bike as yet?

It may be necessary to install a much larger rear rack.

rajavw

Attached Files:

2. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an idea for your rear rack:

put one of this:
    [​IMG]

then one of this:
    [​IMG]

and you have the back cover. how much crap do you want to bring? remember that is a 58 L top box from HT http://www.happy-trail.com/Luggage/Aluminum-Top-Box-58-Liter.aspx there are other options, but you get the point, for the front it will be nice to have something just to balance the weight but do not block your head light!!!

Or you could just built of have somebody to built you some stuff for your liking.

Damasovi
  3. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Enfield uas is blowing those out for 550 bucks .

Also [​IMG]

http://sites.google.com/site/rtwxtz660/alluboxes make your own.
    [​IMG]

Beyond that you can mount old hard travel luggage you can find in a thrift store.
    [​IMG]
    and also try http://www.geartrade.com for dry bags . They sell back countrys returns for up to 70% off. I got a 35 L dry bag back pack for 45 bucks . Normally 100 bucks with tax locally. Maybe mount the tools tube on the front end. If you really want to carried lots of stuff look on a cragslist search engine for your area and see if a cheap vespa side car comes up. I ve seen them come up every month or so . At times they can go for as little as 100 bucks to 800. Depends .
  5. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    I had a GTS250 and added the Givi Maxia on the back. Whenever that was on it the front end wobble would get really bad to the point that taking even one hand off the bars was risky. I wondered if adding weight to the front would have helped.

So, be prepared that a large top box might alter your ride. If I were doing long rides on a Vespa I would seriously consider the trailer option.

On the plus side, I took 2 or 3 trips of about 750-1000 miles, much of it on interstates, and was greatly surprised how comfortable the Vespa was and how well it handed the distance.

Good luck and looking forward to reading some ride reports from you journeys.
  6. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    That ride says "Super Geek" all over it and yet....it is so compelling that I WANT ONE!! :rofl
  7. oldhippie1

oldhippie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is your Vespa a 250 or 300? Where do you plan to ride?
  8. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a 200 cc 2 stroke. Manual transmission.

I've got a 1 month hall pass. Since I'm in the middle of California, I have 2 options in mind at this point.

1. North to British Columbia, via PCH Highway 1 for 2 weeks, then return.
    2. South to Baja California, Cabo, Ferry to Mainland for 2 weeks, then return.

rajavw
  10. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the the Link. I really like this type of hard-core ADV aluminum box. I'm wondering if it could be mounted lengthwise, so it won't stick out on the sides.

Since there is a Welding Class being taught at my school, I should just ride over to the shop one day and talk to the Welding Shop instructor about making me an aluminum box and mounting plate. -- Now that's a brilliant idea!

rajavw
  11. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also [​IMG]

Thanks for the photos and info.

This Correos Box, Solo Seat, and Rack is appealing. I've looked into this. Unfortunately, they are not available in North America.

If you know where I could get one, please pass it my way.
  12. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Brooktown Geezer

Brooktown Geezer scooter guy

Oddometer:
    With that much time you could get to Hyder, Alaska and back, and that would be taking it easy! The roads in British Columbia are fantastic, and the scenery is too. Wherever you decide to go, I hope you are planning to post a ride report!
  14. gogogordy

gogogordy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think that would be quite do-able.
  15. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    I made my own box using acoustic guitar body techniques. Worked great on my Alaska trip in 1978 and many trips thereafter. Wider at the front and narrower at the back for aerodynamics. Flat top with cleats to work as a table and tie stuff to while on the road. Quick release to take into the tent at night. Light, strong, efficient storage.

I put my tent, sleeping bag, cloths bag, and foam pad on the front rack. Put it all in a garbage bag during bad weather.

[​IMG]
  16. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    If you like single wheel trailers just search the adv and also the batte scooters for post on them. Simple to make .
  17. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    hugemoth,

The lengthwise setup on your Rally 200 along with the extra spare beneath was ingenious. If I could modify my rear rack for this type of setup, I'll be on the right track.

BTW, how long was your journey to Alaska?
  18. hugemoth

hugemoth Bad Motorscooter

Oddometer:
    Total of about 17,000 miles that summer. That included riding all around Canada.
  19. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thats quite the mileage, how many miles did you put on that bike when you had it
  20. rajavw

rajavw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo of the present chrome rear rack.

Will remove Leather Tail Bag in order to reinforce the rear rack to facilitate a large Touring Box (24G Rubbermaid Action Packer).

Attached Files: