Converted to dual-sport? POST PICS!!

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Sinistersculler, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Pugsley/Hobbfather

Pugsley/Hobbfather Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great colour scheme!
  2. Volksg

Volksg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

front michelin T65:

[​IMG]

Rear, michelin T63:

[​IMG]

some random pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

distance from the ground, about 36/37 centimeters....

Now i will raise the rear shock in 4cm, put some windscreen and its done, a cheap dual sport....
  3. Mats

Mats Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. aposaric

aposaric Garden mechanic ;-)

Oddometer:

Hy,

I am planing to get the Dunlop Trailmax for my zzr 600 conversion. I have 17" wheels, so I found front 120/90 x 17" and the rear is 140/80x17" I am also planing to put the slimmer 120 on the front and reverse it as you did. I am wondering how does your rear tyre fits the wheel on your bike? Tyre that comes stock on my bike is 160/60 and I am wondering if it will be possible to mount the 140 width on my stock rim.

Thank you

andrija :freaky
  5. Volksg

Volksg Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. OldLevi

OldLevi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Aposaric,
    I think on a rim width160 is a 140 tire too narrow. Ask on a tyre expert. But mounting is passable.
  7. aposaric

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the reply, I will try to ask around, but no one seems to know if it works or not for now

cheers

andrija
  8. dpforth

dpforth no inline fours

Oddometer:
  9. aposaric

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the link :-) This solves it hten, I shouldn't go under 150/60 on my standard 5.0 rim, or I can find 140760 or 140/70 somewhere, will look into that.

Thank you very much

cheers

andrija :freaky
  10. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
  11. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    They kind of look like the anakee 3s.
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like a good foul weather road tire.Not sure if I'd rely on them offroad.
  13. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I put a similar tread tire on my SV650. Shinko street tire with larger grooves for when I want to do easy gravel.
  14. KEN PHENIX

KEN PHENIX "CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer:
    Yeah me too.
    [​IMG]
  15. Yokomo

Yokomo Trials & Enduro Rider

Oddometer:
    I remember seeing that. You did some groovy work on the Ravens. :clap
  16. beat

beat Double Dutchie

Oddometer:
    apperently there is a ducati dealer in Holland that does a litle bit more than just selling bikes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. duxrneet

duxrneet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dutch. Of course!!! :rofl
    Looks great, though.
  18. dakman74

dakman74 moto-butcher expert

Oddometer:
    Sold my last "adventure" bike last Fall (a somewhat modified TW200), and was looking at maybe getting another TT/XT that was street legal, then ran into a few guys selling stripped-down shafties (an XS1100, a CB550, and such) that were sort of the minimalist adventure bike i had in mind, but actually capable of hanging with the 85 mph speeds on the highways around here.

So scouring craigslist, I find a low-mileage 82 Virago 920 (and yes I know about the starter issues) that had been sitting for about a year (because it was beginning to give him starter issues...shocker there!) and was stripped down in the process of becoming one UGLY bobber...long story short, the guy trucks it over...it had some TERRIBLE homemade straight pipes made out of galvanized car exhaust tube and pinched at the end to kind of resemble fishtails, I told him it's going to cost me about $150 to put factory exhaust back on...he knocks that off the asking price, so I hand over $350 cash. :D Oh yeah, and a homemade solo seat with about 3 dozen screws in it to "look cool."

Get it home, start stripping it down to fix a few minor things and clean out the carbs (actually were pretty clean, diaphragms in good shape---surprisingly, inspect the vacuum lines, fuel lines, etc. and it's coming along fairly well. I need to get some pictures up but I don't do photobucket.

Ebay is my friend...bought a factory exhaust for $100, a seat that looks like it'll be close to what I wanted anyway for cheap, a DT100 rear fender, an enduro dual-cats-eyes taillight, oh yeah and an 18" Seca wheel that matches the style of the Virago (for more dual sport tire choices than the 16"). I've also been looking at the ridiculous prices for the XV920R tanks (with the knee indentations...cafe racer builiders love them, apparently) and I think I might try a Seca tank instead with the indentation...about 1/8th the price, same look, and I've been told they fit.

The forks actually have a lot of travel, but I have to see if I can find the mention of...CR250R springs(?) on here to replace the stock ones for more offroad capability...and I believe I read somewhere that someone swapped an XR250R rear shock into a Virago, I have an XR400R shock that I could rebuild and see if it would work (same geometry frame) but right now I can't remember if I can remote-reservoir the shock since I don't think it'll fit otherwise.

Anywho...let's try and keep this going so I can feed my addiction! hahaha :freaky
  19. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the forum.I must inform you of a forum rule, without pics it didn't happen. :deal :D
  20. dakman74

dakman74 moto-butcher expert

Oddometer:
    Yeah I know...I'm just so used to forums that have easier download functions, like Thumpertalk. :roflAnd I tried to put a small pic of it as my signature...