XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. BHW

BHW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Black CRF450 front fender from Cycle Gear - $19.99

Black Krylon Fusion spray paint from WalMart - $5

seat cover and tank graphics for an XR600R from West Coast Graphics via eBay - $53.00 (or something close with shipping)

had seat cover installed with new closed cell foam by upholsterer -$25.00

MSR bars came with a crossbar pad in the exact same colors (coincidence...had no idea I was choosing those colors at the time)

Side panels are not taking spray paint well at all. The headlight cowl went smoothly and easily. But I've cleaned the side panels with acetone, ammonia, and sanded them with 220 grit, then 800 grit sand paper. There are a bunch of spots where the paint just runs right off, will not stick. I resanded those spots and tried again...paint just won't stick. I stuck the side panels back on and said the hell with it for now. I'll get back to that problem when I regain some patience.
  2. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Those look good. Ride it like you stole it.

John
  3. FatherX

FatherX Supervising the Heros

Oddometer:

Rhino Liner :wink:

I saw someone who did a whole KLR??? in Bed Liner looked...Durable :nod
  4. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    F9 if you get another bike you will have problems to figure out with it too. Every bike I ever owned gave me something to figure out at one time or another. Be patient, get a multimeter and a manual and do some troubleshooting. Very few $$ to do and eventually you will figure out the issue. The link you posted would be a good place to start.

Plus there are some really smart people right here to help. If you get a different bike you will have to go to a new thread and get denoobed all over again :D

Good luck with it.

John
  5. FatherX

Oddometer:

true dat!

Looks like I spend the winter in the basement with a book and a bike.
  6. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Might keep you from becoming father10 :thumb

I'd start with Northern Dogs suggestion and add the pulse generator to the list. I have my spare engine torn down awaiting parts. I could send you the pulse generator to swap into yours if you want to try it.

John
  7. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the input on the countershaft splines. It is much appreciated!! :freaky
  8. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

No, He would be ... Father X :lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  9. FatherX

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the sound of that....

just finished watching Footloose :wink:

:crash
  10. r00t4rd3d

r00t4rd3d ADV Rider

Oddometer:
    Hit them with some primer.
  11. jscompto

jscompto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'm switching back to a dual sport setup in a few weeks whenever i get my engine back together. got a ? on tires (fairly cheap) and what size gearing i should look into getting. I need both tires and both sprockets, so i'm trying to save as much money as possible.

I will be riding about 75% street and 25% offroad. Any suggestions from all you experts?...thanks
  12. mrfixit54016

mrfixit54016 Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer:
  13. Olderslowerguy

Olderslowerguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking of adding CRF 450 USD forks to the L I'm now building. For those who have made this swap, what is involved? Pretty straight forward, or is there mulitple mods necessary? Thanks!
  14. tjrockit

tjrockit One day closer...

Oddometer:
    For your reading enjoyment. These guys have been debating it for a while. :lol3
    http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44976
  15. Sourjon

Sourjon TAT'erd

Oddometer:
    Hey Joel! I have IRC GP110's that I run when I am in the pavement/traveling mode. They are probably more like 90-10 and are great on pavement, not bad on gravel, OK on dry dirt and scary on mud or wet grass. The front just won't wear out. The rear 130 lasts 2500-3500. But they are cheap and Cycle Gear has them in stock here in Louisville. They have the Dunlop 606's too so that is the two I use. Pretty good prices and no waiting and free mounting if you want.

John
  16. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what happened to me several months ago, right after a top end rebuild.:ddog
  17. FatherX

Oddometer:
    Thanks again

Looking for a meter today/tomorrow

The problem with idleness is I find myself searching through terabytes of other riders and their XR650L mods. :0-0
  18. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:

OSG,

I am about to start this same project on my new to me 2002 XRL. So here is the break down. It's a long one. Buying a pair of CRF 250/450 forks. This is the easy part. Then you need a lower triple clamp. You can use a CRF clamp but then you will need an EMIG stem at $150.00 so you can use a CRF upper or wait for their upper and lower set to come out at $600.00. I called just this past week. OR get a RSWRACING top triple clamp (retains the ignition/fork lock, speedometer) and you swap the XRL stem into a CRF lower clamp. He is also coming out with a set for $350.00 using the XRL stem. The CRF stem is too big in diameter to use with the XR bearings. Now the triple clamps are done. Do you want to run your stock speedometer? Not with a CRF upper clamp. Then you need a CRF-X front wheel and speedo drive. Computer you say, then it's a CRF-R wheel. Axel's are different for the X and R. You do have to run a CRF front wheel as the axle is 20mm and the XRL is 17mm. No, I have not found any bearings to make the XRL wheel work. You'll need a CRF brake caliper mount, brake rotor, fork shields and disc guard. Depending on how lucky you are with sourcing all of these parts I know I am looking at close to a grand for this fork swap.
  19. Nasty Rider

Nasty Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    John
    Hows your engine work coming along. I was looking at switching out the second gear have you done that??
  20. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed my CigarMike centerstand. It took all of five minutes with a 3/4 socket and some Locktite. The stand fit fine on my '94 and doesn't seem to interfere with anything. Too cool for a test ride, but will take her out later in the week.

The bike is easy to put up on the centerstand, appears plenty stable and well built. A good value in my opinion..

Thanks to CigarMike for a great product.