The G650 GS Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LarryGee, Jan 29, 2012.

1. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    I'd take it to the dealer so he can sort this out under warranty. You are covered for three years. The only thing I can think of is a short in the fan circuit.
  2. LarryGee

LarryGee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does the fuse blow if you let it idle on the center stand, or, if you don't have a center stand, does it blow if running straight up> Like, at a light?
  3. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    These bags are very cool for off road work where, you will only be accessing the contents at the end of your day. Also nice because they won't get "dented" or banged up if you drop the bike or skim a tree.

Would you ever be somewhere, like in a populated area where the bike would be out of your sight? Do you have any concerns about the security of the contents? That's where the hard bags come in handy. Otherwise, I think you have a winner.
  4. CHAOSHUMOUR

CHAOSHUMOUR THE UNSANE

Oddometer:
    Hey guys & gals.

Good to find a thread looking at the G.

I am in the process of getting off the Buell XB12R to a Tiger 800XC, but the smaller half is eyeing off the G to trade the Buell 9S in for. On road I would not want anything else, but we find that as we travel the tarmac, we tend to look sideways down the dirt tracks and start to yearn.

So change is a happening!

I always research, and I have found with the GGS, there does not appear to be a great deal of gear/accessories/aftermarket for it. It is all aimed @ the F650 & F800.

So...

The lass does not want to carry A LOT of gear (*I do most of the hauling), and doesnt like the idea of panniers. So for storage this leaves 2 options - Tank and Rear.

The BMW tank looks like a good bit of kit, so that is a no brainer.

The issue is the rear. So far I am looking at 3 options:

Bags Connection Cargo Bag: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/922/845/
    Dry Spec D28: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/7025/845/ (I am looking at this AND the D38 for the Tiger)
    KRIEGA US-30 - http://www.kriega.com.au/bikepacks?...e=flypage.pbv.tpl&product_id=40&category_id=7

Some of it will be get the bike and go to the shops and fit. Wondering if anyone HAS tried these products??

But I am keen to see what else people have fitted to their bikes (guards,pegs,protection, communication) etc etc

CHAOS.
  5. beerdavis

beerdavis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It only blows on the side stand not if it is upright at a light. I don't have a center stand. I will take it to the dealer soon and let them try to figure it out. I just wanted some ideas of what could be causing this.
  6. ironmark

ironmark ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer:
    CHAOS, I'm in the same boat. I've ridden tens of thousands of miles on the Tarmac and finding the desire to explore the dirt roads stronger in recent years. I've taken the Harley down many jeep trails, and despite the thumbs up from the dual sport crowd I just don't think the ol' girl likes it, so I've been hunting for a GS as well and am anxious to hear what other folks are using for panniers!
  7. Barance

Barance Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For panniers I use Caribou cases (Storm/Pelican cases) mounted on Touratech racks. I have 36 litres now but have just ordered some 26 litres. Caibous are std Pelicans but with a few mods such as locks, lanyards for the opening lid and also stretchys inside to hold the gear in. I hope my 26 litres will arrive next week!

Also use a set of soft Wolfmans Tetons which are good for a small trip in drier weather.

Top box is also a caribou mounted on thier top rack and a Wolfman enduro tankbag. And a SW Motech Bags connection tent bag as a roll bag on the back seat if needed.

GS is excellent, love it, this is my 4th adventure bike and this one is the best !
  8. LarryGee

Oddometer:
  9. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Added a few farkels today. Thought I would tell you my thoughts.

The BarkBusters went on pretty easy. The instructions were in english but the pictures to show you the details were too small and dark. I need to play with them a little more to see if I can adjust them upwards more. Problem is, there is not a lot of room to adjust before they hit the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You have to remove the ABS switch housing in order to install the bar risers that come with the kit. You don't have to extend any of the cables. The kit also comes with it's own set of bar end weights.

[​IMG]

Next up were the foot pegs. These come from Touratech and there are two models. One model retains the stock distance between footpeg and shifter. The other model moves it forward so the footpeg is closer to the shifter. I got the stock replacement. When standing on the pegs, I have to have my heel on the peg to reach the shifter. I wear a size 10 shoe. If I had to do it over again, I would get the one that moves your foot closer to the shifter. The foot peg should be in the middle of your foot when standing.

Stock -

[​IMG]

Touratech

[​IMG]

Finally, The shifter -- I had bent mine when I dropped it once. I was surprised at how soft the metal was. Additionally, the stock shifter toe part doesn't compress. So, if it hits the ground it bends. The Touratech toe part has a spring on it and folds in when it hits the ground.

Stock -

[​IMG]

Touratech -

[​IMG]

There you have it. Have fun farkeling !
  10. pyoungbl

pyoungbl Colonel Blood

Oddometer:
    In prep for a TAT ride this summer I decided to 'find' some storage room for stuff like tubes, bead breaker, tire irons, tools, etc. Since I have Wolfman racks fitted the logical spot is something attached to the left side rack, under the left 'muffler'. The first thought was to use 4" PVC but since I have scrap aluminum and a TIG welder I decided to go that route. Just installed the final product: [​IMG]
    You can see the 1" X 1/4" mild steel strap welded to the rack. This is primary support for the box, secondary support is through the plate on the left side. The plate will be bolted to the box and to the rack, using tabs I welded there.

[​IMG]
    This is clear of the swingarm arc as well as the possum scraper and will be mostly hidden by the Wolfman bags. Of course, no good idea survives the first road trip so an upcoming trip to FL will be the test.
  11. ghostrider.y2k

ghostrider.y2k ride enything but HD

Oddometer:
    I run out of room in the garage so I park Her bike in living room.
    [​IMG]
  12. havocdog

havocdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At first I thought this was going to be a how-to on how to turn the patio table into a tail rack:D
    Really nice job on the alu box.
  13. raftn

raftn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Your choice of parking space is excellent.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  15. Sotz

Sotz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone

First post and first adventure bike. Recently got a G650GS and trying to squeeze some miles to get to know the bike. Im enjoying the ride, though must say that I would need a bit more time to get used to the riding style.

No modifications or accessories yet, and Im still trying to figure out what is actually needed, what fits, what works, and trying to not fall into the trap of getting inappropriate gear.

initial observations - I didnt expect that the seat can actually get noticeably hot while riding. Im not sure if its the heat of the engine or if its just our weather here (asia - start of summer). Front suspension also seems to be on the soft side. At the break-in maintenance check, Im considering having the fork oil replaced to something thicker (bit odd - when i checked the manual, i couldnt find the fork oil specs.)

cheers!
  16. LarryGee

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the GS thread. You are smart to take your time to get to know the bike before spending you money on "stuff". I will tell you however, even with experience, you wants and needs are going to change over time....

Anyway, the fork oil in your GS is 7.5 wt. Some people say they notice a difference with 10 wt. If you really want to see a difference in your front end, consider changing out the shock springs. Good Luck.
  17. pasomonte

pasomonte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont know of any precautions but I would get some speed bleeder screws to make it easier. Also it takes a long time to bleed them because the circuit is quite long in the ABS unit I suppose.
  18. pasomonte

pasomonte Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, the 2011 does not have an adjustable seat and I wasn't aware that the 20122 did.
  19. ironmark

ironmark ODAT ADV Seeker

Oddometer:
    Ah yes, a fine piece of artwork indeed for the living room! :D
  20. ghostrider.y2k

ghostrider.y2k ride enything but HD

Oddometer:
    Only one known US bike with red/black seat.:D