War and Pieces- Soviet Sidecar Rig Resurrection

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by MotoJ, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Biebs

Biebs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MotoJ - I glad to see you back though we lost you!!!!!

WOW!!!

I love your pics and attention to detail!!

Keep it up I am excited to see this on the road!!!!!:eek1
  2. edthetermite

edthetermite Ozark Hillbilly

Oddometer:
    MotoJ,

I just went through your thread for the 1st time and have to take my hat off to you. Good job thus far!
    For never having tore an engine down prior to this you seem to have quite a few useful tools. Especially those fancy bearing pullers.

My 06 Ural 750 looks like a Lamborghini compared to that M72. They all are really industrial garden tractors; built solid but nothing pretty about them. The rings in the newer Urals are American, at least they were a few years ago. I canned the electronic ignition in mine and went to a switch controlled dual points setup. Old school stuff has it's appeal for me.

Threads like yours are addictive but, more importantly, also very educational. It takes a lot of extra time to stop and photo everything and then upload and comment on it. Your labor is appreciated.

All the best in getting that beast fired up in the near future. And an extra large slice of raisin pie is certainly earned. :lol3
  3. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    You ain't kidding. I had a near miss with someone skidding out of control into my lane this morning. Flipped the bike when the sidecar wheel went over a culvert. Ended up upside down in the water. Got a couple friends to help me flip it over, used a tow strap to pull it out and drove it home.Handle bars were bent down, small scratches on the fender, and some mud, but nothing broke.

[​IMG]
    After we flipped it upright.

[​IMG]

Enjoying the build! Can't wait to see it completed.
  4. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap! Glad you're OK!
    Try and keep the rubber side down from now on, OK?
  5. matman1972

Oddometer:
    Oh I try... The prison detail supervisor that used his tow strap and truck to help pull it out was impressed after he saw the flip that all it took was pulling the handlebars into position, and turning around the mirror and she started right up.

I do remember thinking as I was pushing my way out from under it that I was going to put it up for sale and get a lightweight dirtbike. That 1000 pounds is a bitch to manhandle!
  6. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Ha! That's what your new electric winch you're gonna mount on the rig will take care of, right?

I have a KLR 250 that has barely been uncovered since I started this project. It might have to go!
  7. matman1972

Oddometer:
    And, I had a rope puller sitting in the garage 20 miles away!
  8. Pete Swede

Pete Swede Adventurer

Oddometer:
    But your are a man when you can handle the bitch... :bmwrider

Just like the Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster...
  9. Pete Swede

Pete Swede Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MotoJ... There's some freek back at Russian Iron that put up a video about riding M72:s the native American style... The bike looks like yours... But i can't be, or?... :ddog
  10. matman1972

Oddometer:

You think he's holding out on us?
  11. matman1972

Oddometer:
    And they both made my brain feel like it had been smashed in by a lemon wrapped around a large gold brick.

MotoJ, this is really making me see how little they change these beasts from year to year. Not a lot of differences.I am still trying to find a way to justify two rigs to the wife.:evil
  12. Pete Swede

Pete Swede Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tell her that suspensions made before 1958 gives her a beautiful.. :kat
  13. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    Lookin' good MotoJ!

You know, I have a M72 needing some tlc; whatcha doing when you are done :wink:
  14. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Thanks Pete- I forgot about that vid!

This is my ol' gal before she was put out to pasture. Evidently this was 4th of July shenanigans. Don't know if beer was involved, but it's entirely possible!

I actually know the guy in the red shirt. He worked for the PO and got the bike running initially. When it broke down again he had had enough. That's when it started it's vigil at the curb....

<object height="360" width="640">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ZzHWe6qkAo&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>
  15. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:
    Moseyin' out westwards for a visit!
  16. RomaDakota

RomaDakota Experts agree!!

Oddometer:
    The pivo will be chilled!
  17. MotoJ

MotoJ Mobtown Hacker

Oddometer:

Na zdravi!
  18. Matman72 sorry about your mishap, as the former owner of your rig i was amazed after a getoff in n. Ga mountans on an off-road event[ it rolled 4 times ,towed up the hill by a passing jeep] it cranked and i finnished the event urals take a lickin..................
  19. matman1972

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you Jon.
    She's a trooper. I bought her from you as an introductory to sidecars, and after 24000 km in one season, shes not leaving my possession. Love the bike.
  20. Leaf

Leaf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How's it going? :3

:lurk