Dranrab and Nirak's SEUS Scooter Tour

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Dranrab Luap, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:
    From the time I was old enough to start riding a bicycle, I have had a serious case of two wheel wanderlust. I used to lose all track of time when bicycling and end up the subject of neighborhood search parties on a farily regular basis. My first motorcycle, which I got when I was 15 or 16, was a Honda Express moped. I adventure rode that thing all over the place. I wish I had pictures of it loaded down with fishing rods, nets, buckets etc. I kept it for about a year before I stepped up to a REAL adventure bike in the Honda XL100.

I rode fairly regularly up until my second year of college. My bikes were always too small for distance travel, but I ran them through the ringer locally. Like many of you, I gave up riding when school, work and family took on a higher priority. As I neared retirement from the military I bought a Honda XR650L as my reentry bike. I dabbled in a couple of bikes that were not particularly well suited for the distance travel that I envinsioned myself one day enjoying. As a retirement gift I bought myself a Suzuki Burgman 650 and my first multi-day tour.

The Burgman makes for a very capable, very comfortable tourer right out of the box. With the cavernous underseat storage, the great wind protection, and very good economy, performance and range, it literally needed nothing. I bungeed a backpack to the passenger pillion and took off for eight days. The trip was all I had hoped for and more. I met several people along the way some of whom have become very good friends. Groundhogger on this forum is one of them.

Since then I have taken quite a few multi day trips, and each one of them has a special place in my heart. On each of the trips I found myself experiencing things so powerfully beautiful or moving, that I always wished for the company of a loved one to share the experience with.

My daughter Karin has always enjoyed going for a quick ride on the bikes I've had. I asked her earlier this summer if she would want to ride her own bike on a trip with me. She seemed very excited about it. I set her up with a safety course, and she has since earned her M endorsement. She took a quick trip up to Memphis with me about a month ago to participate in Komet's honor ride. That was a great experience, but the pace of things was such that we didn't get to stop and smell the roses too much.

On August the 9th Karin and I will begin our 5 day tour through the southeast US. I'll be on a Burgman 650 and she'll be on a Burgman 400. I placed one condition on Karin when I payed for her class and invited her along. She had to chip in on the ride report. So this should be a bit of a different twist on a ride report. The same ride reported from vastly different perspectives. Climb aboard and join us if you will. It should be fun.

[​IMG]
  2. Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In for a Burgy tour! :lurk
  3. Goldburg

Goldburg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm eager for your reports. What's the plan? Are you coming through Rocky Mount, NC? (it's eastern NC...) If so, stop by for a break and a home cooked meal. I've got 2 650s in the garage - one for me and one for the wifey... 2 more in the driveway would be really cool.

The 650 is great for touring. I've got a good bag for the passenger seat and just this past weekend I was forced to add an additional cooler for a few miles - to cover a full day MSF class. What an inspiration! I've seen those hump bags on ebay and the GIVI ones, but i made one with a standard 6 pak softsided cooler. I was able to lock it in safely and it really looked like it belonged (except it was purple - I'm shopping for a black one right now). Just a suggestion for a longer trip...

I'm subscribed!
  4. TomN

TomN Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooo sounds good :clap
  5. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    In. :lurk

Have fun. :thumb
  6. vidd

vidd how was your lamb?

Oddometer:
    count me in
  7. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the invite, but we are just going to hit the far western side of the state on Tuesday and Wednesday. It looks like day one will take us to Moody AL near the Barber Museum! Day two will find us doing the tourist thing on Lookout Mountain and in Chattanooga, coming to rest in Tellico Plains at the KOA there. Day three will have us riding the Cherohala and maybe hitting Smoky Mountain National Park. Day four will take us into western SC and northern GA. I'm not sure where we'll land. Day five is the run home across the FL panhandle.
  8. Goldburg

Goldburg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I understand you wanting to see the mountains, and those western NC roads have great views. I want to do those myself on my Burg soon.
    I don't understand why no one wants to come to see our flat part of the state.:huh
  9. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  10. Hedge36

Hedge36 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :clap
  11. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed Supporter

Oddometer:
    In!

:wave
  12. Dranrab Luap

Oddometer:
    If any of you are at all interested in the above referrenced Burgman tour I took when I retired, here is the link to my ride report. http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5329

I periodically go back and read it. It takes me back to my roots and also reminds me of how I have evolved. Unfortunately the pictures have disappeared.
  13. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    :stupid
  14. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Instead of the KOA in Tellico, try out Hunt's Lodge. Nice place, recce'd it last fall for a possible BYOB location. Good rates, very clean, and as a bonus Jack and Lori both ride. Pick Jack's brains for the hidden gems for riding in the area, he's a walking GPS. Or hit up Mike at Tellico MC Outfitters for local intel, he's a good troop.

http://www.huntslodge.com/

The cabins are a good deal, too.

Have fun guys. :ricky
  15. nirak

nirak a fine mess

Oddometer:
    Aloha! I am new to the ride reports, so I hope I'm doing this right :D

.... I was insanely nervous that my first time on a bike was going to be 5 days, hundreds of miles, out of state, and in the heat of Aug. The only time I've spent behind the wheel is the 2-day/18hr. safety course where I learned to ride on a 250 Ninja, topping out at a mind-blowing 25mph. Then Memphis happened. I had the pleasure of being part of the Komet gathering and meeting an array of ADV riders.

My first official ride was about 450 miles each way. That trip was full of firsts for me. My first time driving at interstate speeds (skeery, but then a total rush :D), my first time to meet an ADV rider other than my dad, first group ride (and it was a BIG one), first time to ride in the rain, first time to muttpartk, and first time to get sooooo disy from winds knocking my head around that I saw more than one horizon...... :eek1

Whew! Glad we got all that outta the way before this trip. Oh, and I officially have a license now, so I'm legal to drive, no more of that permit crap.

I had a birthday last week and a good friend decided to upgrade my gear as a gift.... Best present ever (besides tuition, thanks dad!)! Ok, I'm geared up and have one kinda long distance ride under my belt, so I think I'm ready to go!
  16. the darth peach

the darth peach eats crackers in bed Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3
  17. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Both of you suck at this.
  18. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    So, what time are "we" heading out tomorrow?
  19. Truckin_Thumper

Truckin_Thumper low profile

Oddometer:
    :D

This will be fun!
    One Luap, One hAwT Nirak and the Jomomma crew....

P.S. Wait til next month when I am on the TAT......:clap
  20. Solo Gato

Solo Gato long in the tooth Supporter

Oddometer: