Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by FrankS, Nov 28, 2009.

1. GSman

GSman Ride far to new places...

Oddometer:
    If the unit did work for a while with the new digitizer, it could possibly be a cable connection issue, but I would not exclude the odd faulty new digitizer. These things will typically live for a long time or die quickly, and the mortality ratio for new parts is infinitesimal after QC testing, but not quite zero...
  2. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    Came about this post in a Google search for Torx size...LOL Seems like a good thread. I already took mine apart but figured while I wait for the new digitizer from Hong Kong I would order the Torx set.

Okay so your probably wondering how I took it apart then. Simple I dremeled a small flathead eye glass screwdriver to the size...LOL I have tons of eye glass screwdrivers (a side of the family owns a huge Hardware chain in MI so stock holders get grab bags at the annual meeting of products)...LOL So I don't NEED the torx but for the $8 on Amazon for a nice set why not order them. I've needed them for OTHER electronics (seems to be the norm now).

I think I paid $18 included shipping from Hong Kong direct from manufacture. I believe its the manufacture selling them hence the cheap price. If I recall the ebay listing it said includes the screen too which the first post says is an extra $50. So that might of changed now.

I got my Zumo in 2007 till 2012 it lasted, that is much longer then I thought the GPS as a whole would last. I have had to replace the battery once and the GPS mount once. I did notice that one of the buttons had a light crack around it...probably will dab the inside of the button with black silcone but you probably will want to look at those while you have it apart. You could not notice the crack from the outside.

If I can get 5 more years out of this unit then I would say that it paid for itself. If I recall the wife paid $580 on Black Friday for this.
  3. modette

modette Rider

Oddometer:
    yep, and so cheap I kick myself for not ordering 2 or 3 of them (due to slow shipping to have on hand).
  4. Craigzz

Craigzz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I just replaced the lcd/touch screen combo in my Garmin Zumo 550, but I have a problem. The clamping bar that holds the touch screen lead to the circuit board is currently hiding and can not be found. Any suggestions on how to attach to board without sending back to Garmin. Anyone have an extra one? The lead is not held in place with electrical tape which won't last too long.

Thanks,
    Craigzz
  5. wheels

wheels Practicing to retire

Oddometer:
    It's not clear what your asking. Go to page 1 in this thread and look at all the pic's.
  6. Craigzz

Craigzz n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I need the small plastic piece that flips over to lock in the touch screen [digitizer] lead to the circuit board. It is the small brown/tan piece that locks in place when it is rotated toward the board with the lead in place.

Thanks,
    Craigzz
  7. wheels

Oddometer:
    gunnr, I had an issue after replacing mine which may help. I noticed the + on the screen was always being pressed, so I slipped a piece of a negative or something as thin, even your fingernail where the screen mets the case lip and this relieved the pressure that was pushing on the lens. Maybe take the cover off and recheck the fit.
  8. wheels

Oddometer:
    Got it, Mine didn't come loose when working on it.You might find one at an electronics store or on line. You sure you can't find it?
  9. cnj3

cnj3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Made purchase and installation with no problems. My screen is not as bright as oem. I adjusted brightness to 100% but it is hardly visible in sunlight. Device works fine, just cannot see it. Anyone encounter this problem?
  10. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I found that too. I have done a couple screens. Suppliers were in denial in both cases. Not a lot one can do except get Garmin to replace as far as I can see.
  11. Curtis in Texas

Curtis in Texas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 450 froze up about 4 years ago and I paid Garmin the $150 for a refurbised one. Took about a month to get it. I used it once or twice to make sure it was going to work for my big ride to Canada from Texas three years ago. Had a heck o a time dowloading the CDR Trail into it. So I broke it down into little sections and out on a SD card.

Long story short. We got going on our trip and the touch screen on the refurbished unit quit. Not more than 10 hours since I got it. It quit completely one night when we woke up in our tents to a hail storm. It never worked again.

I bought the cheapest Garmon 1440 Wal Mort had in Kelispell to help me find my home.
    The 450 dried out some months later and now will show maps, but only if I don't drive more than 45 miles and hour. It won't keep up. The touch screen on the replacement has never worked again. So I have relegated the thing to speedometer duty on my Ducati Elefant because I can't convert the KPM to MPH fast enough in my head to stay out of trouble. And the Italian Mistresses Speedo is off anyway. Just like my Italian Wife. There, but not wuit there, if you know what I mean.

So you are taking a gamble with the $150 echange program. And since I didn't really start testing it until after my 30 warranty expired I was told by Garnin that they will be happy to exchange my refurbished 450 for another one. For another $150. Now I'm not even sure if they will support the 450 at all.

So, I'm going to try changing out the digitizer screen and see if I can at least get some more features working on it.

I get the oddest look when I have both the 450 and 1440 running on the Elefant. I tell them one is for speed and one for maps.

I had given oup on getting the 450 working again until a friend mentioned he had read this E Bay fix here a few months ago.

So I'm going to try it too!

Thanks a million.

Curtis
  12. cnj3

cnj3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re comment about screen not light enough. Purchased another screen/digitizer from Goodsupply 0889 and just installed it. This screen was different from one of the other Chinese that I purchased. Screen from Goodsupply 0889 is as bright as new
  13. rags111

rags111 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to share! Just replaced my 550 digitizer and works like new!
  14. mylifeuncut

mylifeuncut Are we there yet?

Oddometer:
    My 550 touch screen gave up recently after 5 years. Following the directions in this thread I had little problem getting it to work again. I ordered this part

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390300800710?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

from ebay. The cost was $21, which included the freight. It was the exact correct part and arrived quickly (from China) via FedX,

The only problem I had was when I over tightened a screw and striped out the head of said screw. I guess I will never learn. As stated by others the response of the new touch screen is much faster than the original.

Thanks to the posters of these directions.
  15. 10/10ths

10/10ths Road Trip Fool Supporter

Oddometer:
    .....Fired right up.

Haven't ridden with her yet, but immediate impression is it fixed the problem. I bought the $50ish screen/digitizer combo. T6 screws, easy-peazy.

Thanks.
  16. tankhead

tankhead Path less traveled

Oddometer:
    Just finished mine. Went to Home Depot to buy the Torx tool. Got back and my 450 has phillips head screws. Took it all apart. Put in the screen and digitizer but had problems with the cables and connecting them back to the terminals. Also one of the 8 black screws just did not seem to go all the way in. Turn it on and calibrated it. It works like new but I always worry about electronics and me screwing with them. I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Yes the screen seems faster. Thanks goodsupply.
  17. Reaver

Reaver Hasta luego

Oddometer:
    Course mine quit mid Atlantic Canada trip last fall. Caused a lot of stress with "her" as I wanted to go left and she insisted right. Zumo wanted no part of that decision and just said "you are here". Later I proved I was right but that really wasn't a good relationship thing to do in hindsight. :huh

Ordered two digitizers from goodsupply0889 in Hong Kong that were the perfect size and came with the adhesive although I had to install it onto the back myself. Delivery was longer due to the holidays and he sent a two page "english-as-a-second-language" email asking for forgiveness (I think) but anyways we're shovelling snow here so whatever.

Very happy, installed as per OP instructions and I even have a spare for next time.

And there will be a next time. :lol3
  18. RyzaMd

RyzaMd n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks to the guys who started this, I can proudly say I have mastered the electronics! 12 screws, 2 plugs and a seal and its working again, Goodsupply came through with the goods and I know where I'm going again. Stoked!
    Cheers!
  19. bumper1871

bumper1871 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you

I did it and it works.

I can't get the screen calibrated perfectly, but it's so much better.:clap
  20. Gadget_65

Gadget_65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I did it! :clap

Thanks to FrankS and Pretbek for taking the time to take and post the photos and instructions.

I bought the correct sized digitiser from goodsupply0889 on ebay from Hongkong for AU$24.98 with free postage. It arrived in 11 days with one public holiday in Honkong and one in Australia. I had to buy a smaller set of torx screwdrivers to get a T6 size for the case.

What I found was:
    • The black frame described in the posted instructions was silver on mine.
    • The backing case on mine didn't have the cutout section in the middle.
    • As for cutting the digitiser off the frame gently with a razor, you might has well use a bowie knife and a mallet because that sucker is going to crack when you look at it too closely. It is, as has been said, the bit that is getting thrown away anyway. Just take care of the metal frame.
    • I took both connecting ribbons out to do the replacement and had a little difficulty getting the LCD (wider) ribbon back in place. It has a long white lever running its full width that lifts to open and presses back down to lock the ribbon in place. It took a few tries to get it back in right.
    • Powered it up and digitiser works perfectly straight away. No need to callibrate.
    • New digitiser does seem faster to respond and is much clearer.
    • I had notice a discoloured section around the middle area of the old digitiser just before it failed. That appears to possibly be delamination between the layers in the digitiser glass.
    Thanks again to all that contributed info to this thread.

Cheers,

Ian