Need some suggestions for light weight summer glove?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by leeinmemphis, Mar 25, 2012.

1. fcaeiro

fcaeiro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me the BMW gs are the best
    [​IMG]
  2. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
  3. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I got these DEERSKIN (not elk) gloves: http://deerskingloves.net/316BK.asp [URL updated 2014-01-20]
    [​IMG]
    Very fast shipping, great fit ('L' for my ~size 9.25 hands) in width and length, smooth leather (gloves and gauntlets), easy to operate zippers and rummage through pockets with (can't do that with my other gloves), no obvious seam defects, and most important: gauntlets fit perfectly over Atlantis cuffs (neither too wide nor too narrow, gauntlet length is just right).

I used them for one hour today, including some downtown stop-and-go traffic. I was just a bit too optimistic about the weather warming up today (it didn't): these are a bit cold on the interstate at 39ºF (and I expected them to be).

Nitpicks: the cuff elastic stitching is on the inside of the wrist, so the palm bunches a little bit at the bottom outer edge. This is just barely noticeable and does not impede the grip or control. Finger and thumb length is perfect except for a few extra mm on the pinky.

I also got the 110T short unlined elkskins, but the tan color turned out to be yellow/orange. John, the owner, immediately offered to exchange them for a more natural looking pair, and I'm going to take him up on that.
  4. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You certainly cannot beat the price on those. Perhaps it's worth $20 just to give a pair a shot. do they seem to be secure on your hands? I don't see any other closing mechanism (velcro or the like), I do worry without the additional closures, they could come off in the event of a slide- thoughts?
  5. theboxers

theboxers Getting Out There

Oddometer:
    Just found out that the size 12 air n dry is the largest they will do.:(:
  6. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    DEERSKIN, not elk

I've only worn them for one hour so far. There is no velcro nor snaps, but they are definitely not loose. I sized them so they would be a snug fit, and they are, including the fingers, without being uncomfortable. I hope they won't come off if things go sideways, but given the leather thickness (or rather, thinness) and lack of padding or reinforcing features they definitely are a compromise as far as protection goes. But I was looking for thin light weight summer gloves.
    Given the price, these might have sizing variations from pair to pair, and I was just lucky - I don't know. I also don't know yet whether the color will rub off due to sweat or humidity. That's why I also got the tan ones - except the first pair wasn't tan. We'll see how the exchange works out.
  7. gfloyd2002

gfloyd2002 Title Free Since '12

Oddometer:
    These, from same company, may be more to your liking: http://glove-s.com/034BK.asp#Motorcycle_Gloves
  8. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    The 34BK might offer more more protection, but a) having thinsulate doesn't make it sound like it's a summer glove, and b) 40 bucks is getting into Aerostich territory.
    But good that there are choices.
  9. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my second pair of Held Namibs; first ones lasted 20k miles. Love 'em.

[​IMG]

Perforated between the fingers.
  11. NJ Moto

NJ Moto Glory Bound

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jim. Interesting that they have CE certification.
  12. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    I use cortech scarab gloves, and they've done me well all year round. I haven't gotten to try the new version of them yet, but my first gens have awesome knuckle vents.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2
  13. eatthepeach

eatthepeach Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Check out Helimot's summer gloves: https://shop.helimot.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=28. I haven't tried them but I'm on my second pair of their Buffaloes and I doubt I'll ever buy gloves from anyone else.

Before I had Helimot gloves I wore Helds (not the Air). They're great gloves, but nowhere near as nice as Helmut's.
  14. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    I exchanged the second pair of gloves, the elkskin work gloves, I ordered from glove-s.com/deerskingloves.net because they were not tan but yellow/orange. Shipping was again lightning fast, but the color is almost the same as the pair I sent back, and quite different from the catalog pic. If this is the lightest 'tan' pair that they can find in stock, then they should probably rename the color from 'tan' to yellow.
    The picture shows the gloves next to my grey bike cover and the BMW 'mandarin' yellow/orange side case:
    [​IMG]
    The leather feels nice. It is quite a bit thicker than on the deerskin gauntlets (see earlier post), and the gloves and especially the seams feel stiffer. Due to the thicker leather the fit is less conforming especially at the finger tips. I haven't tried these gloves on the bike yet.
  15. Joey Stalin

Joey Stalin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sorry for knocking your choice, but those look like they'd pull off the instant your hand touched the pavement, and there's no impact protection to speak of. the impact protection is debatable to some extent, but if the gloves don't stay on your hand then they're basically useless. unless you're not riding on the street or have some other use for the gloves.
  16. misu

misu n00b

Oddometer:
    great thread...

i'm down to choosing either revit monster in XL or a held agadir in 9.... are the held worth the extra $60-70?

anyone have both and can compare/contrast?
  17. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    My experience of Held has been 100% high-quality. Can't comment what value you can put on that compared to your alternative but never been disappointed with Held gloves, Namibs or Warm 'n' Drys.
  18. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Ever so slightly off-topic: How are the Atlantis 3 gloves performing in warmer weather? I guess I could use a thinner pair of waterproof gloves.
    Or maybe I'll just soak the deerskin gloves in scotchgard.:D

(Side note: 3M phased out the original scotchgard with PFOS fluorocarbon (bad for the ozone layer, bald eagles, and your liver) in 2000. But reading the current MSDS, the suede & nubuck spray definitely has some fluoro-organic compounds ("Copolymer of perfluoroalkylsulfonamidoalkyl acrylate and alkyl acrylate modified fatty acid") - so maybe soaking unlined leather with this stuff is not such a great idea?)
  19. dirtbum

dirtbum ...Lost

Oddometer:
    +1!
  20. HILDI1685

HILDI1685 None

Oddometer:
    Just ordered done agadir's from revzilla. I will let you know how they do in the Ohio weather!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2