Any Honda Dominator NX650 owners out there ?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KeithDommirider, Jul 31, 2007.

1. dstriffler

dstriffler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just recovered my seat, and made a new passenger strap. But the metal fittings on the end of my old passenger strap were rusted and falling apart, so I couldn't use them on the new one. What can I use? I think if I just put holes in the new strap, they'll pull through and rip it apart.
  2. dstriffler

Oddometer:
    Heres a pic of what I'm looking for, I circled it in red. I have the bolt, just not the metal that helps hold the strap.

[​IMG]
  3. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Find an upholstery place and have them pop in a grommet.
  4. Timieh

Timieh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heee Guys:D

Got a little problem, swapped my engine with a other one on my Domi,
    But now when he is warm.

He is working idle, then sometimes he misses 1stroke sometimes the engine even turn off....

Also when i'm riding and stopping at an intersection he switches off, The carb is from the other engine and was working fine, even as the elektronics.

Should it be carb setting's ????:huh

Bst regards:ear
  5. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sounds like it is. The different Domis had different carb settings and jets. And the symptoms you are describing sound very much like air leaking, make sure that especially the carb insulator is without cracks.

And I take it that the swapped engine is also from a Domi, one from a SLR650 or FMX650 will not work because of different pulser bosses :D
  6. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Do you really want that strap?
    The Euro models never had it, they had a rack instead.
    I took mine off, made it much better looking IMO.
    Mine is arouund somewhere, if you really want it and I can find it you can pay the postage and I'll send it to you.
  7. dstriffler

Oddometer:

That would be great! The postage shouldn't be too much, since its just a strap. I'd like to keep it on there since my gf uses it to hold on to sometimes, and it makes a nice handle for moving the bike around in the garage. Let me first check at an upholstery place, to see what they would have. They're kinda expensive, but they should have something that will work.
  8. bigtrailie

bigtrailie Pursuing happiness

Oddometer:
    A canvas shop - any place that makes awnings or does boat covers would have the equipment to install a brass or stainless grommet. Check with "tack" shops (places that work with leather, saddles, bridles or other horse stuff).

There's a tack place that I go to locally. They have done everything from replace zippers in Cordura riding jackets, replace velcro on leather riding boots, make some quick disconnect buckle straps for soft saddle bags on my dual sport bikes. These places usually have some old-timers working there who are amazed to hear about knuckle-heads like us who ride off into the woods for days and days. Good folk.

No matter which way you go...it's likely to be cheaper than internation shipping from Europe.
  9. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have an '88, where can I find a rear sprocket, and which brand front 650R is best? What other Hondas cross over to the rear? Thanks.
  10. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    XL600R XR600, XR600R all fit the same front sprocket.
    XR600R rear is the same.
  11. dstriffler

Oddometer:

I got mine from JT sprockets - they had both the front and rear in varying sizes. I dropped 2 teeth in the back, from the stock 45t to a 43t. Off-road its not as good, but on the highway its a great improvement. I might go back to the stock 45t when it needs to be changed though.
  12. Pasoren

Pasoren Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all! I have a 1994 Domi, red/black, and I only have the colour code for the black parts, not the red. It's similar to the bike in this post: http://advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20160603&postcount=2563. The black colour is NH-217M, the red colour is not R-201...

Can anyone help? I have checked all the plastic parts, but cannot find any colour codes.... I have found some replacements pieces that needs paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  13. dstriffler

Oddometer:
    I've searched cmsnl.com, and for the earlier years they don't even have complete sets of plastic in one color. I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that anytime you buy fairings and body panels, you're probably going to have to paint them. I believe color rite makes the paint. They have most colors.
  14. scrambler66

scrambler66 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,

the color code your are looking for is
    Honda R134 Fighting Red :clap

http://www.colorrite.com/product/honda-r134-fighting-red-1335.cfm

http://www.motorradlack.de/?s=r+134&x=0&y=0&lang=de
  15. Pasoren

Pasoren Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. dstriffler

Oddometer:
    I just recovered my seat, and now the front of the seat is way far away from the tank. I know the cover is tight, but the seat never fit well against the tank to begin with. Anyone have this problem?
  17. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Could you heat the vinyl and seat a little, maybe put it into a very warm place like a furnace room.
    Then put a board across the front and back of the seat and some weight to take the banana out of the seat?
    Once its cooled it might stay straighter.
  18. dstriffler

Oddometer:

Great, I'll try it tonight. Do you think the seat is bent? Is that even possible?
  19. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Not bent but the vinyl under tension probably pulling it out of shape.
  20. dstriffler

Oddometer:

Problem solved! The upholstery place had a grommet that worked. Thanks anyway!