Triumph Tiger 800

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by ScrambDaddy, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Can you actually get one without ABS in the US ? I was told by my dealer that all the bikes coming into the US had ABS.
  2. internalcombust

internalcombust What a blast!

Oddometer:
    I agree, no need for abs.

I got a 2012 with no abs. It was their one and only. They said all others will be abs models. I think mine was an early release.
  3. Weekend Warrior

Weekend Warrior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you get the seahorse case and what model / size is it. I have been thinking about the same setup with the CJ designs rack.
  4. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    ABS definitely decreases the risk of something breaking if it stops you from slamming into a cage that suddenly cuts you off on a rainy day.:D I've owned a number of bikes with ABS (BMW, Yamaha, Honda, HD) and have had no system failures yet...
  5. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Here is my story. On a trip with my Roadie ABS two weeks ago and I have a wardrobe malfunction allowing cold air to run up my jacket sleeve. I pull over onto the shoulder to adjust my gloves. I brake normally and feel the ABS kicking in. Shit, the shoulder is covered in pea gravel. There is also a bridge coming up real fast with no shoulder to ride on. My Tiger tracked straight and came to a stop with a few feet to spare. This was a case of not just staying up, but also stopping sufficiently fast enough to avoid running out of shoulder. No level of riding skill would have allowed me to stop that fast without ABS.
  6. internalcombust

Oddometer:
    When did everyone stop being able to stop quickly in the rain without a computer to help them? I have been riding in the rain for years and never wished there was a computer to stop for me. The trend of more and more electronics on bikes is making them more like cars, and not the raw, close mechanical connection that makes motorcycles so fun. I suggest getting a bike with no abs and not clamping the brake levers as hard as you can in the rain. For me abs isn't a solution it is an annoyance to be turned of. I realize some people use and enjoy it, if it works for you I understand and respect that, but I will take a big pass on traction control, abs, and tpms to tell me when my tire pressure is low.
  7. blacktiger

blacktiger Tigers R great.

Oddometer:
    I take it you have no dirt riding skills.
  8. internalcombust

Oddometer:
    Fixt that for ya.

Apparently.
  9. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    You are both correct. I did say I have a Roadie, right?
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Maine is a nice place. Where there are no swarms of taxis driving like kamikazes suddenly cutting you off to stop and pick up a passenger. If I lived there I wouldn't even need front brakes... :rofl
  11. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    I respect your preferences as well. One thing about rain though, you know when it is happening and adjust speed and braking pressure accordingly. I was once in Kentucky and a friend hit some coal dust in the road, same unexpected deal as my pea gravel. ABS saved him as well. I have encountered diesel fuel on the road, as well as tar on a very hot day that becomes very slick. Some times you don't have time to adjust like with rain.
  12. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    The ABS won't activate until the rider has crossed the threshold of safe braking. It never takes away from available braking if the rider has sufficient skill to not lock the wheel. I don't personally see a downside to it.

That being said, only 20% of my bikes have ABS. The lack of it does not stop me from riding.
  13. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    message deleted
  14. marloweluke

marloweluke The Flying Dutchman

Oddometer:
    I don't personally see a downside to it.

+1 I have been riding bikes for over 30 years and have gone down on the road at least half a dozen times. I know that two of those times I would not have gone down if I had ABS. For that reason I do have ABS on the bike. It only has to save me once from a down fall and it will have paid for itself. It's got nothing to do with not being able to brake in the wet or losing touch with the mechanical connection with the bike. Tests have shown again and again that on an ABS equipped bike even the most experienced rider will stop quicker on a questionable surface then on a conventional brake system, let alone in an emergency. Only after several non-emergency trials can an experienced rider beat the ABS equipped set-up. As stated above, there really is no downside as mechanical issues with the ABS seem extremely rare.
  15. Seb1234

Seb1234 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    seeing nice seats here and there, I'd like to share mine.
    I'm very happy with (my passenger too), and I really appreciate the higher part at my back, especially when riding fast.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pics here http://coeur2tiger.blogspot.com/
  16. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    It's not worth discussing it. There will always be people who think that they will always and in every situation brake better than an ABS computer. That might or might not be true for them. I know it's not true for me. I get tired on long trips, stiff, cold, have moments where my concentration takes a break, or where I'm just plain in a mental lock. It happens rarely, but when it happens I'm grateful for every little help I can get.

So, ABS or not for others - I don't care. I know my preference, and I don't believe that all here who say they don't need it right better than I do. Some will, some won't. Some will handle situations well, some won't. I don't care. It's not my skin.
  17. spacekadet

spacekadet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gosh you guys are so confused about why some rides want to disable ABS :(

It's got absolutely nothing to so with any of the circumstances described, i.e. on-road riding. The first time you try a steep off-road descent and find the ABS overriding your command to lock the wheels, you will understand why some riders must have the ability to disable ABS. Why do you think that feature is providing on purpose-built ADV bikes? Why do you think experienced off-road riders are looking for ways to disable it?
  18. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    I agree. First mistake was not seeing the gravel. Another skill dirt riding imparts to street riders: terrain reading.

Mistake two: Were you going 100 mph when you headed for the shoulder? For something as minor as cold air discomfort ... I would have chosen a safer place to get off the road. Always scan terrain before leaving pavement ... and with ABS or NO ABS, stay off the brakes. Basic, lads. :D

That all said ... I love my ABS on my Tiger 1050. Only my 2nd bike with ABS and it's very good. No idea if serious off road riding would cause any problems for the ABS or not. It's early days for this.

Keep an eye on Burren Rider and a few other dirt riding 800 Tiger riders. Let's see how they do. I'm betting the ABS will survive OK. On a big heavy bike ABS is nice ... but not essential to survival. Most of us made it this far without it after all. :freaky
  19. jimjim

jimjim Just another FF!

Oddometer:
  20. internalcombust

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3 Ever heard of deer?

Modulating the brake input seems to work for me in varying conditions.

Riding in dirt it is an issue.

It is worth discussing because some people are questioning its need and effectiveness. We can disagree and still discuss, seems fairly civil so far. I would say that your argument for abs is the best I have heard yet. On long trips I do find myself at less than 100% after long hours in the saddle. Good point. Still don't want it, but good point.