Radio control nuts

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by RC Pilot, Apr 15, 2009.

1. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    Hacker is on the VisionAire. Tried this morning with a 13x6.5. Man that motor is smooooth! Very smooth, zero vibes, very silent. The 13x6.5 was good but the motor came down cold - I think it can do more. Going to try a 13x8 and a 14x6. Also have a 12x8 I will try for the heck of it.

[​IMG]

If this motor lasts I will be happy.
  3. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just put this guy on order....$220 shipped to my door.
    Not real crazy about the paint job but that is an easy fix.

[​IMG]
  4. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    That the 1200 from HK? I just saw it in email this morning, looks nice!
  5. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yup...seems Dynam is coming out with a 1500mm one as well.....looks like I will have two.

Always liked the 110
  6. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    Loving the DX9 :D. Wireless trainer and voice functions are awesome. I know I'm only scratching the surface of what this radio can do so far as I only have 3 and 4 channel planes.

[​IMG]
  7. biggziff

biggziff Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer:
    I want the 9, but I can't justify the cost over my 8. The wireless trainer is tits, but I can't find much else I'd use.
  8. Jimmy the Heater

Jimmy the Heater Dirt Farmer

Oddometer:
    The 8 is a damn good radio. I don't own one but I've used one and to be honest I like the feel of it better than the 9 even though they are supposed to be almost identical. Something in the handgrips and resting your fingers on the back panel of the 8 just says quality to me.

I'm also borrowing an original DX7 (non S version) and both the 8 and the 9 are light years ahead of that radio in fit, finish and programming. I can certainly see not needing to upgrade over the 8 and if I owned one, I don't think I would either. However it was time to dive into the Spektrum side to compliment my Tactic radios and this was the logical choice for me.

Out of curiosity how many flyers out there run multiple protocols? I'm putting Tactic in my scratchbuilds for the cheap, locally available rx's and going with Spektrum because of the large selection of really good BNF craft out there.
  9. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Been flying helis for a few months. I'm at the 4 channel single rotor fly bar level right now. I'm logging a lot of collective pitch time on Real Flight but still in crash mode with my Blade MCP X. That little guy is currently in the closet licking it's wounds until I get better on the sim. Decided to try fixed wing but my local helicopter flying haunts are not really fixed wing friendly so I joined the local flying club, with the added benefit of a great flying field and instruction. I have this in the mail to me and should arrive mid next week.

[​IMG]

These trainers are darn hard to come by these days. Amazon came up with a stash earlier this week of the non-SAFE version and I snapped one up. That SAFE technology is impressive, but I already am learning with a buddy box and instructor. So hopefully I'll solo the Apprentice next weekend.

I also have assembled a FlyZone Beaver thinking it would be a decent high wing trainer, but I've since decided maybe not so much. It can wait until I get proficient flying the Apprentice.

[​IMG]
  12. a65l

a65l Safeguarding our Precious Bodily Fluids. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brought one back from the dark side! Although it seems to be easier for helo pilots to learn fixed wing than it is for fixed wing pilots to learn helos.
  13. CousinLarry

CousinLarry Ridin Dirty

Oddometer:
    The apprentice is a great airplane. I've been buddy-boxing a friend of mine on it. Very very easy to fly.
  14. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Dark side? I still got the car tire on my FJR.:rofl
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought the 7s....just could not justify the costs for more....and I really don't think I will ever need the extra stuff. I do miss my old Futaba however....but no one else that I could find does the model download to an SD card. You can put 12gig in a fricken phone, but having more then 10 models in a radio....you would think you are asking for the moon.
  16. biggziff

Oddometer:
    I agree. I had a 7 as my first Spektrum and it was fine, but the 8 is a much nicer radio.

I still have a bunch of nitro and electrics on FM, but am going to cull most of them and put orange receivers in the rest....sell off all my Futaba stuff.
  17. RC Pilot

RC Pilot I am not anti social. I am selectively social! Supporter

Oddometer:

Both are very good planes (I have both), but definitely get some time in on the Apprentice first. The Beaver is not a hard plane to fly but being pretty scale it does take a little more attention and likes coordinated turns.
  18. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just got this thing together and all I can say is wow. This is a twin, that shipped to my door for $220. With lights and retracts. Now I have not been able to fly it yet...just too windy with a front coming in, and the mornings are just too cold for me at the moment. But the fit and finish on this plane is just amazing. The stickers actually look like they are painted on, and in person this planes paint looks much less cartoon-ish. I think with some weathering it will be very nice....I was going to do it in a night fighter but changed my mind on that. I find it amazing just how far foam models have come....and the price we get them for.
  19. XpressCS

XpressCS Must. Have. Lumens..

Oddometer:
    Thinking about buying some new lithums for this beast...

[​IMG]

And a couple new tail servos... :clap
  20. biggziff

Oddometer:
    That guy looks pissed!