Tell me about a VFR please.

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by GPrairie_Rider, May 1, 2012.

1. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:

Thanks LM, I will keep that in mind. And let me find that link and let you guys figure it out. It does sound suspicious to me. But hey what do i know. haha

Okay so im learning, a white is a Limited Edition for $2600?? http://www.stumblehere.com/classifieds/Honda-Interceptor-VFR-800-US2600-522751

Looks like i might be goin to Nebraska: http://omaha.craigslist.org/mcy/2940469667.html

Chris
  2. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    My '08 is set up to travel... lotsa solo multi day trips camp out rides and long weekends w/ GF on the back..I am very happy with it. i especially like the 5.8 gallon tank as i easily cruise over 200 mi per tank. Plenty of pep and a comfy ride for me..no plan to change anytime soon.

[​IMG]
  3. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I won't get into superlatives about it, but I really love my 2000 VFR! I had an ST 1300 prior, and the ride is like night and day...the ST was a pig. I've done some minor suspension mods, and put a Givi top box on it. It also has a high mount Staintune exhaust that sounds absolutely bad ass:evil. This picture is after packing up after an Olds Cool rally at Tellico Plains...the bag makes a great back rest...:lol3

It's not the fastest or the purtiest, but it's the one bike that will stay in my garage...:deal

[​IMG]
  4. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree the VFR is the best sporting street bike motorcycle ever. :D
  5. sparkymcgee

sparkymcgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]From a trip last year...LA to Big Sur to DV to LA.

[​IMG]
  6. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

:eek1 :eek1 :eek1

Holy cripes, that's no lie!
  7. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

:huh :ear

Please tell what came to $36,000.00 and over how long a period?

Thats...it's...well...too scary for me to even contemplate!
  8. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    sorry for the confusion, 36K references miles. so through the service intervals a bit over 2 times, a quick add up had me over $6,000 in shop costs. IIRC, the service plan was $1,300 for 3 years, unlimited miles. Also got tire coverage. That particular bike was replaced by Honda with the '07 I pictured a few posts back for other reasons, with another 3 years coverage. Note the clear turn signals. . .. And yes, it has '04 asphalt tank and plastics.

6th Gens are great bikes -- but the 16K valve check is time intensive -- figure on 8-10 hours. It adds up quickly. :cry
  9. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I've been tempted by a VFR but it's the service costs on that V4 engine that put me off.

Quite a few owners put them up for sale at about 15,000 miles, I think the OP should watch out for that.
  10. RocketJohn

RocketJohn Hook 'em Horns! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go for the preferred 5th Gen
  11. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent all rounder, no complaints once I squared away a couple of wiring issues (melted starter relay and associated wires). Had several trouble free long trips, not seeing much seat time now that I've started dabbling offf pavement, though.

[​IMG]
  12. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been meaning to say this in the VFR thread, but it's all the same. I went to some local dealers last weekend and sat on the following: Triumph Explorer, Tiger 1050, Tiger 800, Sprint GT, FZ8, and a few Beemers and none did for me what the VFR does (the Sprint comes close). I rode mine 7800 miles across 21 states in 15 days in March this year, have put over 22k since I bought it in July of last year with minimal maintenance. It is the total package.
  13. vulgar1

vulgar1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had mine about 6 months, 2K miles and I love it. I have 3K miles in trips planned for July with the GF. I came from a 1994 ZX600 so this was a big improvement. Mine has a Corbin seat, Two Brothers exhaust, and I added the factory top case to the already existing side cases and R&G frame sliders. All the rest is in gear and gas. I really love this bike. I commute daily in it and get out for rides whenever I can find time. Its a great jack of all trades.

[​IMG]
  14. Gadget Girl

Gadget Girl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The VFR was my dream bike- fully faired, single sided swingarm, luggage, and that dual high mount exhaust makes for the sexiest piece of a@@ I've ever seen!

Why I've kept him and love him is because-
    Like others have said, he's fun in the twisties, even though I'm a relatively light rider (150 lbs at my heaviest) and still wonderful for those longer rides.

I've put over 52K miles on him now since I got him in '08 with 1,700 miles on him and only done one valve check at the recommended 16K. The mechanic I use said that all the subsequent valve checks he's ever done on VFRs after the initial one (if it was done correctly) have come back right in spec and didn't need the subsequent adjustments.

I rode him 52 miles each way to and from work in all weather year round for about 3 years until I moved closer to work. I miss riding as much daily. I'm working on getting up earlier to make a hill run before work now. It's soooooo hard not to hit that snooze though. lol

He's comfortable for really long rides. We've gone out to Oklahoma in triple digit weather and up to DC in pouring rain. We've run out to Houston, TX when the thermometer on the dash read 14 :eek1 .

It's a great 2-up bike! We take the kids on back and head out wherever for a day of riding. I have the Corbin seat and my husband has the Sargent. We each prefer the one we have.

DOWNSIDE-

Be ready for the R/R to die and take the stator with it around 40K miles. Both of our bikes lost them around that mile mark. It's an easy fix you can do yourself, though routing the stator wires through the engine is a PITA.

What I've changed/added. Zumo, Corbin seat, Givi touring windscreen, Lightech carbon fiber mirrors (damn they look cool), luggage, powerlet in steering column. I think that's it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. daveoneshot

daveoneshot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thought I would revive this thread as I'm now looking at VFR's .....keep all these wonderful praises coming folks, I am going to be 72 this season and a VFR may well be in my future.
  16. GPrairie_Rider

GPrairie_Rider Dirt Junkie

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a XR650L cheap. But i am still in the hunt for a VFR since i sold my GSXR. I want something with hardbags and higher handle bars. Long trips killed me on the GSXR.

Chris
  17. Phineas

Phineas Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer:
    too many people are worried about the valve adjustment intervals on the 6th generations. Unless you're in the canyons or on the track the VTEC is engaged very little of your riding time and they see very little wear. Mine needed adjustment (from the factory I assume)during the 16k service but there hasn't been one out of spec since. I didn't check them between the 48 and 96K mile service. The bike has 98K now. There's a guy on VFRdiscussion that's never checked his.

I'd get a VFRness from TooSlow on the VFRdiscussion website right away and if you plan to travel before you know the bike pick up a stator and an rr to keep in the saddle bags. It takes longer to remove the plastic and stator cover than it does to change the components. On my second set I soldered all the connections and haven't had a problem since.

I missed low end torque when I first got the bike. I'd always ridden fire breathers before...but it's fast enough and it's enough of everything. VFR teach you what "balanced" means. It took me 20K miles to fall in love with the bike but now I'm looking for a low mileage replacement, hopefully a 2007 candy red one. The motors seem to last about 150K but I want to be prepared.
  18. pres589

pres589 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had my 2004 VFR since 2007, bought as a brand new left over, and have put 45,000 miles on so far. It's an all around great bike but I do get annoyed at having to pull bodywork to do a lot of services. I modified the inner-fairing that runs between the sides so it's easier to get an oil filter on and off (cut the center out) so that made life easier. Like a lot of EFI bikes these days, mine has some lean miss issues that aren't terrible but can be annoying, certain region's fuels seem to make it worse.

I've never had it to a dealership for major service. I need to, or I need to get serious about doing it myself. I had a wiring recall done but that's it. At this point I need to change plugs, fuel filter, air filter (thinking about doing a home-made panel filter change to the original one, Honda skimped on the size of filter material in what looks like an attempt to tune the bike, plus a factory filter is something like $50 and I think I can do better by modding it), a valve adjustment would be smart, and I believe I have a hydralic cam chain tensioner "clacking" and I don't know if there's some magic brand of motor oil that can fix it. So I may pay dealership pricing to get the valves done and the tensioner at the same time. I'd also like to get the previously mentioned VFRness and add some kind of voltage gauge.

The SS-Swingarm makes tire changes pretty easy, so that helps.

I'm 6'5" tall and the bike from factory was a bit unconfortable. I added Gen-Mar bar risers, an MRA windscreen that I then hacked up to way shorter than stock so I wasn't getting buffeting wind right at my head anymore, peg lowering blocks, and a Sargent seat. The Sargent is pretty decent but it's shorter than factory, apparently, so it wasted a lot of the gain on the blocks.

The bike has left me stranded one time; the stator burned up. I replaced it with aftermarket and so far so good but I think when spring rolls around it's time to get serious about refreshing some things with a real focus on the electrics. I may also add a Powercommander or if I go crazy a Microsquirt doing just the FI stuff. VTEC engagement is not a big deal on my bike, it just gets a little louder and there's a bit of a jump in power. Kind of nice actually.

I do like the bike quite a bit although that BMW R**R thread has some temptation to it.
  19. SnappNBrrap

SnappNBrrap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My opinion....

best all around bike ever made, Period.

if you could have only one ==> VFR800
  20. Ponies ate my Bagel

Ponies ate my Bagel Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer:
    About the 6th Gen wiring harness recall, you can call Honda:

Motorcycle Division
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    1919 Torrance Blvd.
    Mailstop:100-4W-5B
    Torrance, CA 90501-2746
    Telephone: (866) 784-1870

Give them the bike VIN and tell them you just want to see if the recall issue has been taken care of. If it hasn't that could be a haggling point even though it shouldn't cost you anything other than some time.