Mar. 28-31, 2013 Death Valley Noob's Rally

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by nsfw, Nov 15, 2012.

1. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    Very good info here. Things I've seen fall off include license plates, tail bags, loose beers, chain guards, and plastic body panels. Tighten those fasteners! :lol3
  2. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    :clap

1x990 + 1x449 = mixed :lol3
  3. MotoMujer

MotoMujer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

^^^ The tips -- very good stuff! :clap
  4. bigtodd

bigtodd Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer:
    Tim, let's get that list of yours put on poster board and put it up all over PSR. One of the best and concise "how to prepare" for any extended on/off road trip I've seen in a while. All of us would be and will be better off down the road to constantly remind inexperienced and first timers of these important points on a regular basis.

Of course these comments are coming from a HUGE noob that thinks his 600lb bike is a dual sport. :D

EDIT: First timers; reach out to people you know on the attendee list and ask questions. Don't know anyone, reach out and make some friends ... ASKING QUESTIONS is a good thing!
  5. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim, good 411.

Todd hinted at it, but the fact is, many of the bikes riders choose are too big for the kind of riding they do. And like you say, when the going gets tough they are quickly worn out. I find that the process for bike purchase is backwards - most riders decide on a bike they like/want and then figure out how to ride it where their friends go. What should really happen is they gain experience with a trailbike, then choose a bike based on the kind of riding they really want to do. No one bike can do it all well.

I think the best advice there is just getting out and getting some time on before you have to do the really long treks. It will not only prepare the rider physically and mentally, but they will find out what's wrong or what can go wrong with their machine.

BTW, I always carry a tow-strap. Had to tow a blown-up bike 5 miles out a sandwash one time. It wasn't my bike, and it wasn't fun, but we made it. :lol3
  6. Buster714

Buster714 I'll ride anything

Oddometer:
    I have a 500lb rated paracord imitation line in my garage I figured I'd throw in my pack for a towline. It's better than nothing, but is that rating good for a real world adv bike tow?

If BigT breaks down we'll have to call a jeep. :lol3
  7. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes, that will work fine. I've used a 500 lb rated webbing tie down strap to get towed and had no issues.
  8. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    the tow rope is good but the tow-ers are exhausted..........:rofl
    [​IMG]
  9. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:

I think you would have a hard time holding onto a cord for towing. Maybe have to give it a try. Usually the 'tower' attaches the 'strap' to his bike and the 'towee' wraps it around the bar center and then to a grip to hold onto it so he can let go if necessary.

I carry a 18' length of 2" nylon strap with a loop sewn into one end. It would get a GSA down the road but not through a trail. :wink:

A tow-rescue is really a giant PITA. :D

My tow-strap is always zip-tied to my cargo rack. I hope I never need it.

[​IMG]
  10. prince_ruben

prince_ruben Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of bringing of GS but I better practice with the XR650L before the ride!
  11. JAB

JAB Unsprung Weight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Towing is a challenge. Another approach is to attach the strap/rope to the footpegs. Keeps the pull of the line lower and is less likely to pull you over.
    Rig the towing bike on the right peg and the towed bike on the left peg.
    Keep the speeds safe and the throttle smooth.
  12. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Practicing with either bike is a great idea. Just make sure you are usung good form and technique.
  13. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:
    I need to get out and wear out the stock tires, no way are the Bridgestones going to cut it!
  14. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    let the guys with the GSs know to leave the bottled beer at home
  15. slidewayes

slidewayes slidewayes

Oddometer:
    I'm just A little confused How many camp spots am I singed up for? SLIDEWAYES 33,34,35,36
  16. sopascat

sopascat not much of an adventurer

Oddometer:

Not camp spots, people. You and your 3 guests.
  17. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 :thumb

There's an article in the latest issue of dirt rider on this subject.
  18. tbarstow

Oddometer:
    Not if you're a noob.

Big bike noobs - knobbies are worth the $$ for this trip. They will pay for themselves when you don't break your mirrors and windscreens.

Death Valley Noobs: Put a new set tires on your bike for this trip.
  19. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Crap! Is this thing booked up? I saw a waiting list :eek1. Is this a record for this now Joel?
  20. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:

:cry ron, lots of work, i was surprised too and got overwhelmed after 2 weeks. hit me like a tsunami, but glad to see lots of people stepping up to help, giving good advices, and answering questions.

if psr build another bathroom for men, we can open up the list to 50 more people; or we can switch the women's with the men just for that weekend .....maybe not:annie

come and join us.