Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen, and John McAfee walk into a bar.
    Who picks up the tab?

LarrytheDRguy!
  2. miguelito

miguelito Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, LarrytheDRguy, you got swarmed by the hive purty good here, and you deserved at least some of it. The rest was just gratuitous hive fun mostly at your expense. They're not bad men. They're not weenies either. They're motorcyclists who ride south of the US border which informs their posts here with something missing from the US news coverage of Mexico and US State Department bulletins. I think the take-away for you should be the Lonely Planet blog Craneguy posted:

According to FBI crime statistics, 4.8 Americans per 100,000 were murdered in the US in 2010. The US State Department reports that 120 Americans of the 5.7 million who visited Mexico last year were murdered, which is a rate of 2.1 of 100,000 visitors. Regardless of whether they were or weren’t connected to drug trafficking, which is often not clear, it’s less than half the US national rate.

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/blog/20...s-safer-in-mexico-than-at-home/#ixzz2F2LhOFk1

Other than that, you might want to weigh in on subjects you actually have experience with like "riding the hell" out of states that have an mean elevation of 30 meters. That's something I'm sure people would be interested in.
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto

And how would that be. :deal Selling blood again! :rofl

BTW, I will be leaving an another three month adventure to Central America beginning December 30th. I hope to actually make it to Panama this time!
  4. Road Dust

Road Dust Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Going to be one of the best rides that you have ever done. Nothing like sitting in the hot Florida sun, unbelievable humidity making it hard to breathe, and bike over heating from all of the stop and go traffic. On a good day you can average 5-10 mph. Just when you think that you are not going to be able to survive it, the afternoon thunder storms come in. You don't have to worry about getting wet. You are already totally soaked from all of the sweating that you were doing.

A real man's ride. Be sure and don't miss the beach roads in Miami. Something that you will never forget. If you time it just right, you can even ride with the Love Bugs.

One of my favorite roads in Florida is Hwy 41 / Hwy 90 between Naples and Miami (not I-75). Every time that I have ridden it, there was not that much traffic and it was not that bad of a ride. Decent "cruiser" road. Relax, take your time and enjoy the wild life. Just don't try to pet the gators.
  5. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What could possibly go wrong :dunno

[​IMG]
  6. Road Dust

Oddometer:
    LarrytheDRguy,

We have two rides scheduled in Mexico for next year. July will be in Morelia and then Mazatlan again in November. Both are endurance rides. Come down and join us and test your riding skills. That way, the next time you post on this forum, you might actually know something about what Mexico is really like.

Be glad to have you ride down with me on either or both rides.
  7. Road Dust

Oddometer:
    The only real problem is as you stated. OLD bearded guy, which means that the hot chica keeps her dress on at night. Only if I had started riding in Mexico when I was much younger.

[​IMG]
  8. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    Trevor, don't park so close to the wall next time
    [​IMG]
  9. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I do like this better than my way!

Here's the ride from Durango to Mazatlan. Great road, but a bit more traffic than Mex 16. You have to allow for trucks coming the other way and cutting corners. It might not look like it in the vid (my view is a bit different to the camera's) but I'm taking pretty conservative lines when I can't see what's coming the other way i.e. peel in a bit early, and don't run it wide coming out until you can see there's nobody in your lane...

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCrw4qWlaM0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bCrw4qWlaM0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
  10. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Exactly where on the bike is that mounted? Crash bar?

Also, I was trying to picture in my mind what mounting on the other side of the bike would give in terms of passing the trucks.
  11. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet that Tenere was sweet on that road.
  12. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    Love that road. Looks like you we're loving it, too.

Have they finished resurfacing it? Last few times there were sections of grava suelta.
  13. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:

Trice,

here's the camera mount... BTW that crack is a new addition, you like :D The camera got a bit of a nick in the fall, but seems ok. It's mounted on the crossover bar between the crashbars so it's about 2" in from the crashbar itself, and tight to the bodywork.

[​IMG]

Yeah I might try switching sides at some point and see what it looks like.
  14. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are just a few of short sections of rough tarmac, but 99% of it is very good.
  15. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a favourite Australian saying...

16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    He could make a fool of himself with gators, but all it took to kill him was a vengeful stingray.
  17. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Crikey!
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I was reading the thread backwards (most recent post first) and saw his post come up out of context and was thinking the same thing. I have some Facebook friends that are cross dressers and do the evening show at a club called 801 Bourbon on Duval Street in Key West and my first reaction was that somehow they were over here on ADVRider keeping you characters entertained. :lol3:eek1

Nothing whatsoever against folks of an alternative lifestyle but not exactly my idea of a retirement plan :evil
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Heart attack while in the act en Mexico. Works for me! Clearly the kind of legacy that my family is expecting from me. :evil
  20. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    PJ,
    I have seen your friends on Duval at the Bourbon. They do a pretty good job cross dressing. I haven't seen their act though. That just seemed like a waste of my time. Not my kind of bar.