Why you should buy a Ural

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Biebs, Jul 11, 2012.

1. crswa

crswa n00b

Oddometer:
    My wife and I are looking into buying a Ural and are debating whether 2WD is worth the extra cost. We're not planning to do any hardcore off-roading and my understanding is the second drive wheel is only useful for getting the rig unstuck (mud, snow, sand, etc). What's the consensus? 1WD or 2WD? How often do you use 2WD?
  2. roscoau

roscoau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Go for the 1WD. 2WD is a waste of time for 95% of people, it just sounds impressive...
  3. Duckworth

Duckworth Taking the high road

Oddometer:
    I have 1WD. I can manage fairly rough stuff, and reverse is enough to get me out of trouble. Plus, the rig is lighter, simpler to work on, and perhaps a tad more stable since the sidecar wheel is about two inches forward compared to a 2WD.

If you intend to do serious offroading and really go looking for trouble, then 2WD really shines. If the roughest stuff you tackle is state forest jeep trails and logging tracks, 1WD will suit you.
    TurTal likes this.
  4. deltamark

deltamark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dammit, now I want one! :1drinkWill the side car hold a 110 lb. Newfoundland dog?
    TurTal likes this.
  5. matman1972

matman1972 Lost in the woods.

Oddometer:
    It holds my 105 lb lab..... Yes she is overweight.
    I pull out the seat button and put down a pillow my daughter made that fits the bottom. I put a recessed tie down like you use in a truck bed to attach her harness.
  6. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I could live without 2wd if I had to, it can be handy at times, but rarely "necessary", It won't make a huge difference in where you can go, but it can make marginal conditions much easier. I use it mostly in the winter.

Like AWD or a 4X4, most of the time you don't need it, but sometimes............................................
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    TurTal and cateyetech like this.
  7. Norms 427

Norms 427 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buy a Ural to ride to Alaska. I did. The Alaska Highway is made for Urals.

This is Mount Robson. Let me tell ya, it doesn't get any better than sitting on the front porch of this little cabin smoking a cigar n sippin' hooch while the setting sun does its evening light show on snow-capped mountains.

[​IMG]

Along the Top of the World Hwy:

[​IMG]

This was the best trip of my 65 year life (so far) and the Ural definitely was a large part in helping to make it so memorable.

Oh, and in 17,000 km in 18 months I haven't had a single significant issue, just a couple of little things not even worth mentioning.

TurTal likes this.
  8. Norms 427

Oddometer:
    Someone, PLEASE STOP ME! I can't control myself when it comes to pictures with my Ural!

Why you should buy a Ural? ... so you can ride it to the Yukon Territories and Alaska. That's good 'nough reason for me!

Alaska Hwy near Fort Nelson:

[​IMG]

AK Hwy, Folded Mountain:

[​IMG]

What is freedom? .... riding Olga, on the open road, on the way to The Last Frontier:

[​IMG]

Took a ferry to Kodiak Island, the furthest point southwest on my trip, and this is where the little dirt road ended:

[​IMG]

Can't wait to go back.
  9. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    That orange is sharp.

How many miles that Alaska trip was?

Top speed?

I see you were coming from Wash. and not deeper into the states, but still a significant undertaking, right?

Cool beans.

I guess the other way to look at the 1wd vs. 2wd could be like with trucks-- it will always be worth more in the end, or someday when you trade again, sell, etc. A rusty 4 x 4 truck always brings more than a similar rusty 2 wheel drive..
  10. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    My Credit Union begs to loan me money. Screw those too big to fail banks!
  11. Norms 427

Oddometer:
    Orange = to be seen better.

Yes, I am fortunate to live so close to the 49th parallel.

The trip was a little over 10,000 km. I cruised about 55 mph on this trip, fully loaded. Top speed? ... :huh :lol3

12. steelhorseadv

steelhorseadv I just wanna RIDE

Oddometer:
    Our "T" was purchased to let our 80 pound chocolate "lab" Brutus join our motorcycling adventures. What a great choice the Ural was. We just returned from some of the finest motorcycling in the country on Michigans far north U.P. Brutus and his Ural continue to bring smiles to everybody's face but mostly to his. Make no mistake it is his motorcycle. Reason enough for me to buy a Ural.
    TurTal likes this.
  13. MartyL

MartyL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You get laid more with a Ural...
  14. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    "in".

:deal
  15. rider33

rider33 Traveler

Oddometer:
    1v 2WD:
    I have a Patrol w/2 wheel drive. There is a road near me with multiple water crossing in the 3-6" range. I only switch it into 2WD when there have been heavy rains and 3-6" turns into more like 6-10". I'm pretty sure I would not really need it even then but there is no way I want to find out, mid-stream. Basically unless you are doing heavy off road riding in deep stuff I doubt it would be necessary. The exception to that as Windmill points out is snow. In snow and ice it can be very, very handy which is why I bought it

Dog Size
    My lab is 85 pounds and he has plenty of room. I've also had 6'6" guys in there who are pushing 250 so I doubt a 100lb+ dog is going to be a problem. Actually one of the not-so-obvious benefits of a Ural is the amount of stuff you can carry. A well equipped touring bike might be able to handle a few weeks worth of kit. A Ural could carry a month or two's worth to say nothing of a weeks woth of groceries, a keg of beer, firewood, tools to build a log cabin and just a out anything else you can think of. If no one is sitting in the chair there is a whole lot of space for carrying stuff and that's before you even open the trunk.
    [​IMG]
    TurTal and cateyetech like this.
  16. 9Realms

Oddometer:
    Are the wheel bearings "old school" and not sealed?

Even with sealed bearings, I really hate water crossings. It wont bite you today, but 8 months from now, when it's dark, and raining, and ccccold... :puke1
  17. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nope, they are special deep groove sealed bearings. I ride every day here in the wonderful wet northwest, plenty of slush/snow riding, even an occasional water crossing, and mine are all still good at over 70,000km.
  18. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:

Can you post photos of those sealed bearings and maybe a link as to where we could purchase them?...

Thanks and be well... Ara and Spirit
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Ara,

They are the 6204-RS series deep groove bearings also used by BMW, Triumph, and Harley Davidson.
    The 6204-, RS, RSR, and 2RS will all work. They should be on the shelf of most MC dealers and auto parts stores.
  20. BeemerChef

BeemerChef Wandering Homeless

Oddometer:

Thank You! We will be in Leavenworth, WA, Wednesday... giving One~Pan cooking Classes (3 days) with Snow Peak / Overland Journal. Stop by if you can. We will have the new "Terra Explorer" with us. (Gear-Up Special Edition).

Stay well... Ara and Spirit

[​IMG]