Chain Link Length

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by notrivia, Mar 29, 2013.

1. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Did you fall and severely impact your head? If not that's like saying I wore a string bikini and nobody laughed at me when you only wore it in your secluded back yard barbecuing. My chain us used as designed every time I ride...big difference
  2. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

I might have it kicking around somewhere. I'll look. If I have it, it's yours. All you'll need is a master link. ( I prefer clip style)
  3. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I don't want to run it. Just test it
  4. Dirty in all

Dirty in all Adrenaline Junkie

Oddometer:
    Now we're into a whole new subject. Some tool company decides it's better to run a rivet on your chain instead of a clip to sell more rivet tools. Probably brothers with bad blood, one owns the tooling company and the other the clip manufacturing company. I can tell you how Ive seen rivets come loose. Not once have I seen a C clip come off, especially if you safety wire it on like the racers do. Not to mention I can find the end of my chain and keep track of the stretched links that need replacing.
  5. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    My point was that anecdotal evidence is not nearly proof enough to call my post "nonsense." You have a total of five clip links and none of them failed. That is hardly an exhaustive study.

Look around the internet; it is full of stories of failed clip links. Sure, a failed rivet link will pop up once in awhile, but you can't deny that it happens far more often with clip links. Clip link guys commonly counter that it's most likely because they were installed incorrectly. That's fine and all, but they seem to be installed incorrectly quite a bit judging by how often they fail compared to rivet links.

Riveting a chain is easy, and it's cheap insurance in my opinion. Other than the initial cost of the tool (I got my Motion Pro riveter for about $70 if I'm recalling correctly), I can't see a real downside to riveting over clip.
  6. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Look around the internet? are you serious? for all you know those people who posted up about having problems with the links work for motion pro and make a commission selling rivet mushrooming things..What are you going to reference next ? A you tube video of some guy using a grinder to shorten a length of chain. Anybody with common sense knows thats a big no no. between the heat generated effecting the tensile strength not too mention brittleness if cooled too quickly and the abrasive grit thrown all over the rest chain you're just asking for a premature failure of the adjoining links. But you have people all over you tube and even here swearing its ok.:deal
  7. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Wow.

You keep using clip links. I'll keep using rivets. It's your bike and body; not mine.

Let me ask you a question though. Do you truly believe that clip master links have roughly the same failure rate as rivet masters?
  8. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Amazing how so many millions of riders survived the highly dangerous clip master link era, innit ;-}

This thread is fun.

And getting funner.
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you use a clip master link you will die in a firey crash! :deal well maybe not:lol3
  10. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    I can honestly say Ive had one failure and it was right after I installed a new chain. I most likely did not seat it properly as I was in a rush. It popped off within the first few minutes after I rolled backwards down a hill. Most everyone I know runs the clip style without any incidents
  11. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your honesty in this answer, and hate to be the guy who pounces on it... But you DID say earlier that you had "no problems ever." Having it pop off is a major problem. You were fortunate enough that it popped off when it did, but it could have been worse.
  12. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

Just a data point -- many folks, including myself, upon reading "I hate to be the guy" immediately see a mental imagine of you, rubbing your hands together in glee, ready to pounce on any inconsistancy posted . . .

It is a great deal like a post that starts out with, "I'm not a dick, I'm just being honest."

YAY internet arguments!
  13. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:

Google rivet link failure...Im sure lots of people who are unfamiliar with them have fucked up the installation Everything everywhere has failed somewhere at sometime. You need to compare failure rates of clip vs river vs screw before you can declare victory:deal
  14. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    You can think what you want. That wasn't my intention, nor was your mental image at all correct. I hesitated posting it at all, and reworded my post several times before clicking submit.

The only reason that I posted it was because it was more than merely an inconsistency. What he posted was in direct contradiction to what he said earlier. Surely he knew he was typing a lie when he replied to my post calling it "nonsense" and then telling me that he had "no problems ever," only to later tell us of a chain failure he experienced himself directly caused by his clip master link. I would be remiss not to point this out.
  15. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I just did that Google search. I also Googled 'clip link failure' as well.

Here are the search results from 'rivet link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=riv...me.0.57j62l3j60.2387&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Here are the search results from 'clip link failure:' https://www.google.com/search?q=riv...12,d.dmQ&fp=c9959bc17d1cb8e0&biw=1366&bih=677

You'll notice if you filter through the results that clip link failures are overwhelmingly overrepresented in both of the searches. I'm not arguing that rivet links don't fail. They obviously do. I'm just saying that I believe clip links fail at a much higher rate than rivet links. I don't have a study to back up my beliefs because AFAIK an unbiased study does not exist. However, stories of clip link failures FAR outnumber rivet link failures, which is enough evidence for me to rivet mine. I'm not aware of any drawbacks to rivet links, so for me, it's an easy decision.
  16. kenny61

kenny61 old and crippled

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm an to each his own type of guy. As long as your jsut saying you prefer rivet style and not trying to tell me Im going to die if I use a clip link for even an emergency I can respect that.:freaky

Now can we please get back to the original topic... OP have you received any replies yet on your emails?
  17. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Agreed. To each their own. Agree to disagree. :beer
  18. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

I hate being a rare statistic, dammit. :lol3

The only chain failure I've ever had in over 40 years riding was a rivet link chain (done at a dealer). The one time I decided to have someone else other than me replace a chain. I have always used the master clip chains.

For me, the drawback was an incorrectly peened/rivet job. Something that ended up stranding me. The most annoying part, was I had a spare masterlink and clip tucked away in my tool kit that I have always carried, but never needed. I couldn't use it to fix the chain, because the failure of the riveted link somehow boogered up the ajoining links too much.:dog

I totally hear you, and am not arguing or trying to change your mind, of course. Just speaking mine. :D
  19. Boatman

Boatman Membership has it's privileges ;-) Supporter

Oddometer:

Any replies from EK, Regina or Suzuki yet? Surely they would want to nip the conspiracy theory right away.

:lurk
  20. 06CCDMAX

06CCDMAX Johnny 2-Stroke

Oddometer:
    You still didn't say if you measured a length of your new chain to see if it's out of spec or not. I'm sure it is. I'd be surprised to hear there ISN'T a chain conspiracy in this day and age.

And on Clip vs. Rivet.. It's usually a master-link that fails. I avoid the hassle altogether. Cut chain at the end of an outside link on one side, and inside link on the other like you were going to half-link it. Then just attach the ends with a cotter-pin. = No master link to fail. :clap