KTM LC4 (640) Thread Index

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by meat popsicle, Jul 9, 2005.

1. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    You try the decomp lever? Tired battery?

2. Tseta

Tseta Lost

Oddometer:

The short answer is that there is a mistake in the 2007 parts catalogue. There was a change somewhere around 2004 when the single bearing cush hub was changed to the double-bearing design.

More details in the latter pages of this thread, especially these (1, 2, 3, 4) posts.

Cheers,

Tseta
  3. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The battery is fully charged yea and decomp does not help I'm scratching my head big time. Wishing right about now there was a dealer nearby!
  4. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    Check the groundstrap from the battery to the frame...
  5. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the one under the right side faring? all looks ok there. strange thing happened just now though, i pulled in the decomp lever and it started to turn over, then gave up. now back to just click click.....cant understand[​IMG]......grrrrr!
  6. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    No, the strap runs right off the battery and bolts under the left side panel..

The clicking you hear is the relay and is usually caused by insufficient voltage going through to the starting system... This could be caused by a short, a loose ground {as mentioned}, a bad battery or something wrong inside the starter itself {worn brushes, water}... Or something wrong with the sprague, freewheel or starter gears... First thing I would try jumping it off a known good battery and see if it spins...
  7. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i see...getting a bit late in the game here its high time i cracked that beer... but will try jump her in the morning.
    ill let you know how i get on.
    cheers for the advice!
  8. djchan

djchan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does it turn over with the kickstarter?
  9. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the engine turns over yea but im also having issues kick starting. not sure why.... ive removed the carby for a good cleanout as this was overdue anyway, so as my shed is lacking decent lighting im going to put it back in when day breaks and see how i go.
    cheers
  10. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    oh and if i try to jump start from a car am i right in thinking to not have the car running and connect the neutral to the bikes frame? is this safe? dont want to risk anything here....
  11. Uncle Crumpet

Uncle Crumpet Long timer

Oddometer:
    How old is the battery?
  12. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    battery is about 12 months in, still should be strong. i have recently had some shorts in the headlights wiring, but ive since rectified. im gunna try the jump start option in the mornin and see if that works. if so then ill go for a ride and see if its charging ok. if not....F knows. im not much chop when it comes to electrics....
  13. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    A weak battery will also make it hard to start as the lower voltage will give a less than ideal spark...

If your carefull you can fit the positive on the jumper cable right to the battery and then grab something on the frame that will give a good negative feed... Sometimes if the jumper clamp is clubby it may be better to fit a short length of wire to the battery and then attach the clamp to that...
  14. ErikY.

ErikY. Here, Now.

Oddometer:
    Could be the autodecompressor lobe is worn. I went through the same thing and I did everything you've done ie: electrical/carb/choke, or are thinking about doing to fix it. Starter wouldn't fire it and kickstarter eventually didn't help either.

Note that the autodecomp is a complete different thing than the manual.

Erik
  15. Tonicu

Tonicu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, Laramie. :hmmmmm
    I had already followed that procedure you suggest, but after trying again the result is still the same, tapping noise from the valves/elephants feet. Could it be de auto decomp kicks slightly in, therefore causing a false read?
  16. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Correct.
  17. wherearewe?

wherearewe? Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well, after cleaning out the carb i managed to kick her into life, and running fine. even after a while after shutting down the e starter turned it over but very weak. now after a ride its back to clicking..... gotta be a short somewhere.. but yet to find it.
    thanks for the help tho ill let you know the seed of this annoying problem once i find it!

cheers
  18. Superpacman13

Superpacman13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ever removed the passenger pegs? Mine have tried to kill me a couple times, and they look fairly integral to the subframe of the 640A. Any input is appreciated.
  19. dnrobertson

dnrobertson Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer:
    nearly the first thing I did when I bought the bike 3 years ago. (removed pegs and brackets). No problems, but I did get the sub frame strengthened about two years ago.

I never thought they were integral to the subframe myself. (But my wife says I don't think a lot :D )
  20. Low594

Low594 Adventuring Creep

Oddometer:
    I removed mine, since I dont like passengers and my box frames needed to be bent to work with them on. Its been over a year with no issues. Mine just hangs off the subframe and doesnt support anything.