Gold Point / Death Valley October Rally

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by jrozar, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    methinks I may have just uninvited myself.
  2. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh no I think you will fit right in......

The only question is who gets "Buck" ( the doll ) after this years ride and has to keep it till the following rally in April.
  3. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, cool. 17 days & a wake up..(still not counting tho) :jive

For those that looked at the calendar and counted,:deal we're leaving Wed a.m. :jive
  4. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do any of the big city venues at Gold Point have wi-fi?

Such as the saloon? :evil:D
  5. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    I hope so. Yeah, I'd like say that I can ditch work for 4 days or whatever, but that is not the case when you own your own business.
  6. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it does... Herb has it.. I think

7. DarrellM5

DarrellM5 n00b

Oddometer:
    Are there any rides planned that don't go into Death Valley National Park? Looks like it's closed due to the government shutdown along with all the other National Parks.

Hopefully it will be open during the rally. If not, maybe the dirt rides could still happen.

I'm hoping to come to Gold Point, which will be my first adventure bike event, especially since it's only 105 miles from my house.
  8. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PreRun

With the recent roads being closed in Death Valley from the severe weather a month back a few of us are headed up this weekend to prerun the area to ensure we have some good rides!

Don't worry we will have routes for all levels.

More to come after this weekend.
  9. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks for checkin' it out - hope the route "to the snow" is still available!

(spoken like a true Floridian:D)
  10. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    KLR CRISIS (CRIE-SEES with suthern accent) 24 hours before FL departure to business meeting in GA then west (and house sitter coming).....resolved :lol3

Loaded bike and found kickstand TOO LONG, the bike sank. It was explained to me this bike and DR650's are sprung stock for a 150 pound rider on a long travel suspension, and loaded to the hilt its not steady when parked. i don't have time to get resprung or REAL rear shock :eek1

Once out of deer in high beam mind mode, I scratched my head and had to pause and think.

hmmm... this stand has extra length hehe
    [​IMG]

Look what I found - I haven't used this dewalt since I demo'd my bathroom for remodeling.
    [​IMG]

I cut and GEEZ I find the kickstand tube is hollow wtf? I need a temp "foot" for the trip. An old " MX handguard" mount (in billet!) is in th spares bin...this is good news
    [​IMG]

Just in case, I'm taking the plate I use on my sportbikes when I park on soft FL hot asphalt
    [​IMG]

Let's roll westward.............:clap:freaky:evil
  11. stoke

stoke ocean minded

Oddometer:
    That is awesome :clap

150lb rider? Really?! You think the ones built for export would at least be modified for us "more substantial" western riders.
  12. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^^^thanks

I'm heading out on a month excursion around the east/west coast soon as house sitter gets here.

If you all are out and about wave if you see me please, I'll stop. I have a couple of small ADV decals on the bike and I put a pic of the bike and I in a lame "ride report" thread i started here: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=924721
  13. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    can't wait.....hope the roads to dv will be open by oct 17th.
  14. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got home from the pre run.....

Arrived Saturday morning, met up with three other riders who showed Friday night and we rode a 168 mile loop.

today we split in two groups and a 190 mile loop to Tonapah and the Bishop loop through the White Mountains...

Tom & his son TJ ran the Bishop loop today while Brian, John and I ran a Tonapah loop.

Things were looking good!

The 168 mile loop on Saturday will remain unnamed....but I heard Death Valley was full of visitors. Someone saw street bikes, dual sports, Adventure bikes, three separate caravans of Jeep & Range Rovers and four minivans with foreign tourist.

Everyone please make sure you RSVP your meals with Herb, there are no grocery stores for miles....so he buys for everyone's rsvp'd meals a week prior.

There are still RV spots available, one cabin, one rustic cabin, and yes plenty of room around for tents.
  15. steveWFL

steveWFL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great news!

sent by Tapatalk, but there has to be a better way
  16. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  17. nupit

nupit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has a date been set for a ride to Bishop?
    I'm going to be in Bishop that weekend, and would like to meet the group and tag along if possible....Thanks
  18. jrozar

jrozar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thinking Saturday... Depending on how many riders show we may do one each day.. Much easier to run three separate runs a day with less riders and do all three everyday

19. M1Jeep

M1Jeep Long timer

Oddometer:
    My DR is prepped and ready to rock. Is it Wednesday yet? :freaky
  20. Shooby

Shooby Long timer

Oddometer:
    Amendified

Reiterateafied