Kevlar "Jeans"

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by 390beretta, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    You could call it uality control, I call it manufacturing variances that are allowed.

Anyone over the age of 30 has bought enough jeans in their lifetime (and I learned this with Levis by the time I was 20) to know that you take a stack of whatever size you think you are into the dressing room, assess each pair, and buy the ones that fit you correctly (if any). Levis easily change pant-leg width, inseam, and wait by as much as an inch from pair to pair (rare to be that much, but I've seen it), so they just aren't something you buy off of the rack without trying them on. But then Levis are more mass-produced than something like motorcycling jeans that have Kevlar in them. The variances will most likely be wider on high-spped production runs with pants like Levis comapred to pants that have Kevlar that is most likely hand-cut.

Now I'm not saying that riding jeans don't have variances, as really everything does in manufacturing, but I would believe that riding pants are more true to the size the maker intended (which isn't to say one maker's 32" inseam is the same as someone else's, or even the same across same makers' different product lines).
  2. RxZ

RxZ Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer:
    I agree with everything you just said, except the first sentence :D I did say it was either QC or variance in manufacturing :deal

3. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Oops, wow - you really did write that, lol :lol3

Yeah, well, now y'all know my stance on it. :D

If I had the luxury of trying on quite a few pairs of boots/shoes in my unique size, just to see which felt better, I would as well - just because of manufacturing variances.
  4. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    40 years, and you still haven't figured it out? Too bad, it's a great talent to have. :deal

:rolleyes

All gear is risk assessment. What I wear on the track versus what I wear on the street versus what I wear in the dirt, it all differs. I could go out every time in full leathers, airbag suit, hard armor, bubble wrap and anti-grav boots, but at that point, I'll just take the car.
  5. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Marine3

Marine3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There must be another thread on Kevlar jeans since the last comment here is April 2013?
    I will look for a new thread. I wear Hood K7 jeans from UK.
  7. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Hood jeans in the UK. IMO the BEST jeans money can buy
  8. rusche

rusche Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently got a set of Speed and Strength jeans. CE knee armor, kevlar in the right places. Stretchy at waist and boot ends. Very comfortable, knee armor isnt bulky to be bothersome off the bike. Im sure theres better protection out there, but I find these comfortable
  9. Hollywood9t

Hollywood9t Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pandomoto. I have a few pairs of jeans and a Jacket from them, good quality nice fit.
  10. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really wish more manufacturers would realize that there are actually tall people out here who would be happy to buy their products if they would only realize that 34" inseam is not tall.... 36" would be great...
    Specularius and CaptCapsize like this.
  11. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    I wear em knowing that they aren't 'real' riding clothes, but look and feel a lot better running around town, running errands, riding to work, etc.

I always have boots, jacket, and some elkskin gloves on with em. I'll deal with the potential issues of the Draggin Jeans if/when something happens. If I'm going 'out riding' I'll wear the protective stuff

M
  12. CCitis

CCitis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Check out resurgence gear. 36" inseam is standard. I am tall, the Heritage kind fit me very well. Not cheap, but very comfy and CE hip and knee armour that is quite secure. Kevlar lined... Definitely feel better than nothing.
    Navy Chief likes this.
  13. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    My wife has been looking for some. She can't wear blue jeans at work, so she's looking for a black pair, preferably with some armor panels.

Right now, she is just wearing her riding jacket and polyester type dress pants when she rides to work, so this would be a big improvement.

I usually wear jeans for riding, so I have found a few pair that are lined with fleece of flanel. Not great protection wise, but a little better than regular jeans.
  14. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have several pair of Sliders in black. My wife has some too.
    High Country Herb likes this.
  15. 325891

325891 Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    Tough to generalize, I think. I have a couple of pairs that are as you suggest. But on the other hand, my Pandos offer as much protection as any textile pants, and probably more than most. Riding jeans have come a long way quite quickly, thanks to those lovable hipsters.
  16. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the lead, I will check them out.
  17. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have not seen these riding jeans in person but they have some styles that the ladies may like. I think one of the US Moto mags did a brief write up about them.

http://m.uglybros-store.com/

I can vouch for Drayko as I own two pair that I purchased via Revzilla like 5 years ago. One pair the waste button started to pull out so sent them a customer email via the Drayko website. They sent me a new pair of jeans! They did not even ask for a receipt. And they were shipped from Australia. Good stand up company.
  18. Navy Chief

Navy Chief Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those look like they appear like fairly normal jeans and are decent quality, unfortunately it is yet another company that makes nothing longer than 34 inch inseams....
  19. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wear 33/36 in Levi’s and a I found the Drayko length to be long enough that when I sit on the bike they don’t pull up but maybe half way on my Sidi’s Just to give you some idea of their length.
    Navy Chief likes this.
  20. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    Wearing my Dainese kevlar jeans when riding short distances to work at slow speeds. Much easier to live with in the office.