Anybody have a Moto Guzzi V7?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by MotorCade, Oct 20, 2012.

1. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, talk about living up to your forum name!
  2. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Digging this tiny bike and big sunny skies.
    BugSpatteredJacket likes this.
  3. LostViking

LostViking Long timer

Oddometer:
    That picture makes me want one,

Nice shot of a nice bike,
  4. sfrider300

sfrider300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nice shot. what are the bags?
  5. bigtex

bigtex Rocky Mountain High

Oddometer:
    Bags are Moose Racing "Expedition." Semi-rigid, semi-waterproof. We'll see if they semi-work.
  6. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    touche'

haha, i didnt realize that was his bike above. from the description, i thought it'd be a bit different looking than that one posted above.
  7. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    Congrats Bigtex. What # is it? Number 347 with Wolfman soft bags. Great bikes!

[​IMG]
  8. Murphy Slaw

Murphy Slaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, you can say that again. If Toby Keith records one of my songs, I'm in........

:D
  9. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    I removed that rear fender extension that houses the liscense plate light and reflector and purchased a pair of LED lights from Cycle Gear that replace the top two bolts .

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole in the plastic plate holder and routed the original wires up into the brake light housing keeping them out of sight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Soooooo, that about ends the free or cheap mods. Eventually I will end up with a Stucci fairing and some pipes, but I'm happy with the way it has cleaned up.

[​IMG]
  10. Frankbonatelli

Frankbonatelli always on the road

Oddometer:
    Did a 9000 mile rounder June 2012, from BC Canada to Grand Canyon USA and back on my v7 Scrambler. It was a round about journey connecting a few hot spots like Canyon lands trail, Moki Dugway, valley of the gods, Cotton wood trial and Stephens pass. Plus a whole lot of unknown dirt tween them all. Got lost lots (GPS is your friend most days). Got stuck in snow, crashed in snow. Got stuck in mud, crashed in mud and lets not forget sand heat sweat fear and fun. We found the whole range of adventure.
    Most of the journey we planned for off road adventuring connecting the fun with as few blacktop roads as we could. My brother on his triumph scrambler and me on my v7 scrambler. We traveled an average of 450 to 500 miles a day through snow mud and sand it was one of the best rides I've done in years. Less when we were lost or stuck or just plain beat down from the struggle of that day. The v7 is a natural off road.

This season will see new rear suspension and progressive springs up front. Maybe a journey north to Yukon, NWT or Alaska. Yet to be decided.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  11. Pokeyjoe

Pokeyjoe Vespa Primavera 150

Oddometer:
    Well done! I gotta ask where you got those pipes, though...?
  12. Frankbonatelli

Oddometer:
    Had to make them in the barn. They work well for giving me that classic scrambler feel. I have plans for ceramic coating them this month and some better looking shields along its length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  13. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Frank: :thumb :clap
  14. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    I asked him awhile back: custom headpipes with Triumph Scrambler mufflers.
  15. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Oh boy, oh boy is that ever nice! When you get a chance, could we see some pictures of the bike without luggage? Any major changes to the bike other than pipes? Thanks!

Sarah
  16. Frankbonatelli

Oddometer:
    Im surprised that any one else but me likes the "italian princess" as my brother named her.
    So far the only bits n bobs added are parts from the v7 Racer and a few after market shops in UK
    • Side covers
    • Gators for the fork legs.
    • Dart fly screen from the UK
    • Over sized bars for off road use

[​IMG]
    ----
    [​IMG]

This season will bring some progressives for the front and a set of remote reservoir shocks for the rear http://www.gazisuspension.com.
    Been chatting back and forth with them and they are willing to build me a set for the new model v7.
  17. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Frank, I think that bike looks great. Did you ever wish for a taller front tire? I've wondered about that 18" in gravel and mush. Thanks again.

Sarah
  18. Pedz

Pedz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice one Frank! What's holding all the luggage in place, any rack or pannier frames under there? Would also be keen to hear how you get on with the new shocks, I'm not particularly impressed with the OEMs but not many alternatives over here as far as I can see.
    Am planning a trip in the summer to the Bardenas Reales desert in Spain with some light off roaring so would be interested if you have any other V7 related tips?
    Thanks
    Pedro
  19. Frankbonatelli

Oddometer:
    You know I'm actually new to off road experience (this being my first foray into the realm) so really would not know good from bad handling, well short of on the bike or a bad get off. I know one thing from the run though the Canyon lands trail, The KTMs KLRs etc.etc of the world can blast through these trails (mud sand rock) with out any thought other then the next curve ahead. Where as Brother an myself had to calculate every route with care. Don't miss read here we didn't pussyfoot around average travel speeds off road was +/- 60kmh but when the trail gets to single track like conditions were always erred on the side of caution.
    Knowledge of bikes leads me to feel there is a desperate need for progressives up from and better rear suspension as they do take a beating on the washboard roads of Canada's back country.
    --------
    Well the bags are hung from a barn build from a Buddy of mine. We welded up an over kill wrack to hang bags and fuel cell. It worked well and I'm certain saved my ride in more then one get off at speed! Need to get some head bumpers to, was lucky I never broke any plugs!
    ---
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ---
    Actually the only thing that I had to repair in field was the clutch cable. with lots of clutch work in the sand I was down to a countable three strands of cable left. Managed to get a shop in Moab to build me another on site. I now carry a spare.
  20. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    That V7 Stone has really got my mind buzzing. The Stone model having both cast wheels and the more powerful engine has made it seem like it's just my thing.

Anyone here gone Triumph to Guzzi? We are lucky enough to have two Guzzi dealers here in town but from what I've seen there are a lot fewer Guzzi dealers than Triumph - has this been an issue?

Power-wise I can't imagine that the Guzzi would be any worse than my Scrambler, which only puts out 55hp.

Besides the cast wheels, I have to say I love the big tank (5.8 gallons? Wow! :eek1 ) and of course the shaft drive - no more messy chain oil.

I may have to demo one soon.. Dang, and just when I started farkling up my Scrambler...:D