Is this a dangerous situation??

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by yeoman, Apr 7, 2013.

1. ttpete

ttpete Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer:
    Gas stations are convenient places for robbers and carjackers to operate around here, too. People are out of their vehicles and have money and keys available. I'd rather be on my feet with gloves off and my weapon accessible.
  2. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    I don't want to get into the on-the-bike vs off-the-bike argument, but I not only always get off of the bike, but I always take my helmet and gloves off as well when refueling.

One other thing to consider:

When I hadn't had the XR650L too long, I stopped at the gas station, put it in neutral on the sidestand and started filling it from the side away from the sidestand. While trying to get a good seal with the fuel nozzle to help prevent a little bit more unburned hydrocarbons from getting into our air, I managed to push forward just enough to roll the bike off of the sidestand. Since it was falling away from me it was pretty much impossible to stop it falling over, so there I was holding a gas nozzle and my bike was on its side dumping gas onto the ground from the open filler neck. I quickly put the nozzle back where it goes in the pump, went around the other side, discovered that fuel on concrete is not good for foot traction, found better footing, then picked the bike back up.

I was amazed how quickly the station attendant was able to shut the pump off and how quickly a mechanic over on the other side was out with a fire extinguisher (which wasn't needed). It's nice to know that those guys were paying attention. Once all was settled and the few ounces of gas was cleaned up, I went back to filling the tank.

Ever since then, I park the bike in gear whenever it's off - not just at gas stations, but always - and I always put in fuel from the left side so that if for any reason the bike doesn't stay on the stand it's easier to catch.

Say all you want about how your method is good enough and you've never had a problem but I had never had a problem either, for at least 40 years of filling up bikes - until I had a problem. So now I'm reducing the odds of having another problem filling a bike with gasoline by parking in gear, filling from the left side, and having my helmet and gloves off.
  3. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Just one thing to add... when I busted my leg (both times) pay at the pump was frickin' awesome while I was healing. I didn't have to unfold my cane and hobble unless I had to piss. :D

I also learned to ride one-legged. Basically, I didn't put my sore, weakened left leg down unless I absolutely had to, and I mounted and dismounted from the "wrong" side. I'm in the yellow helmet here:
    [​IMG]
  4. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been in the same spot myself. I initially started fueling up on the bike when I felt like I wanted to make better time. As we all know eliminating or shortening those stops seems to make the most difference when you want to make better time. Then when i hurt my leg (3 seperate breaks, pins, plates and a replacement joint, getting off the bike was a hassle for a while. With pay at the pump becoming standard procedure I think most of the reasons to get off the bike have been eliminated. Works for me just fine. :deal
  5. Foot dragger

Foot dragger singletracker

Oddometer:
    Thats all Im saying really,watch what your doing,gas is flammable.
    Gassing up is not the time to daydream or check out pussy in cars driving by. Fill the tank,watch the nozzle flow,dont blow such a simple thing.

But my Triumph takes on a good bit more gas when on the centerstand so I do it that way and dont mind hopping off the bike.
  6. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    I still say if you can't stay focused enough to avoid pouring gas on yourself, you might not be focused enough to ride at all.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    That is a simplistic statement ignoring the reality of the shit that happens in gas stations!:deal

You just cannot control every eventuality, no matter how big your internet penis is!:norton

Jim :brow
  8. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett Supporter

Oddometer:
    No one ever got a broken nozzle that does not manually shut off?
    I have run into that a few times, so I always test it.
  9. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    98% of the time I will not get off the bike. I always end up really close to the pump and trying to get off and back on is usually really awkward. Plus, its really hard to get my KLR on the centerstand when loaded up. My Bandit is no problem.

If someone sneaks up on ya while fueling, just hose them down with unleaded. :D
  10. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    :norton right back atya

Again you refer back to some guys penis (hopefully you aren't thinking of mine). I think it's kind of weird that your mind goes there Jim. :huh
    I have spent a lot of time in gas stations and I maintain that they are a safer place than some are making out. I think people can deal with perceived hazards by eliminating them and there are lot's of ways to do that I guess. :D
  11. Droptop50

Droptop50 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow. I fuel my R12RT on the bike. I don't really have a problem with it, I just pay attention to what I am doing. I stand and balance the bike between my legs. I considered it a non issue until I read this thread. I guess if you don't feel safe fueling on-bike then by God, DON'T!. :huh

I do however, get off the F8GS to fuel, I'm just not as flexible as I used to be!:lol3
  12. DOGSROOT

DOGSROOT OUTSIDE

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for electric motorcycles to end this horrific dilemma once and for all. :rofl
  13. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    I have never seen a nozzle that would not shut off manually or automatically. I have been buying gasoline from filling stations for 44 years. Lot's of it. The only place I have never seen a autoshut off not work is from a gravity fed overhead tank. :wink:
    I never rely solely on the auto shut off feature of the nozzle to keep from over filling my motorcycle gas tank. I might look at the whole process differently if I could not actually see the gas level in my tank while filling it.

I also do not normally think of my penis while filling up my bike with fuel.
  14. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    I suppose there won't be many sitting on their bikes for the 3 hours it takes to recharge them. :1drink
  15. D_A

D_A Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it possible for a phone to ignite an explosive gas/air mix? yes. That doesn't mean it's LIKELY. The fires that have been caused by phones happen when the user drops them, breaking open the case and causing a spark, but even that's not very likely and the spark has to be in the right place at the right time to ignite the mixture as well.
    Static, as already mentioned, is more likely to be your downfall than having a mobile phone on you. That's why the hose on the fuel bowser is built to discharge static safely and will discharge any static you have picked up while you're holding it without causing a spark.
  16. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Seriously? Obviously you have a mentality that you are right, and only you are right. When you ASSume that people look and react to risk differently than you that they are incapable of safely riding a motorcycle, then you say more about you than them! I'll refrain from commenting on your posts from now on!:deal

Jim :brow
  17. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    Oh hell, for me a fill up is Marlboro time!
  18. SteelB12

SteelB12 Our Purity of Essence Supporter

Oddometer:
    While you are fueling???
  19. waveydavey

Oddometer:
    +1

You are a little cranky today. I will give that a 5.5 for the drama. Please don't think about my penis...:lol3
  20. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

If smoking while fueling was that dangerous, Europe would have blown itself off of the map by now.