Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Rekd

Rekd Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    So I DO get where you're coming from and my assumption of your <s>stupidity</s> ignorance IS validated, lol... :freaky

:rofl

Ok, seriously... As a fellow human/biker/cyclist/pedestrian let me try to explain to you once more that while you're on your bike you can't just go out and try to dictate how fast and where people drive.

It's... stupid.

You'll piss 'em off and they'll take it out on you. And from my own experience pissing off rednecks, gangsters and people late for their latte is much, much worse than letting them go ahead and cross over into oncoming traffic on a blind hill as you seem to be so obsessed with.

You're aware enough as a target that you can see an idiot getting impatient behind you almost immediately while still noticing on-coming traffic and STILL be able to get out of Captain Stupid's way before he get's creamed by that truck coming over the hill. You're on a bike. Drive defensively, not offensively.

When YOU put yourself between a cager and his destination YOU bring rage and other driver's bad decisions on yourself.

People get mad and pass real close to you or otherwise try to 'teach you a lesson'. Not saying they're justified, just telling you you're going to piss off the wrong person eventually and it's going to end badly for you. I know.
  2. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

I suppose not riding on a road where there is no shoulder is out of the question? (seriously, is there another route or are you stuck taking that one)
  3. Vertical C

Vertical C Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do you cyclists say it is ok to ride down the middle of the road, but when pedestrians walk down the middle of a MUP you get all shitty and abusive? We dont want to walk on the edge of the path and risk tripping?

Seems double standard.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    :ear

Jim :brow
  5. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    Although this isn't directly the bicyclists fault...one thing that pisses me off as a motorist is the idiots that feel they need to give the bicyclist so much room when they pass they cross completely into the on coming lane regardless of traffic!

I nearly got run off the road the other day on my bike because some geriatric driving and Oldsmabuick decided the bicyclist needed three car width of space to ride along the shoulder...then when I blow the horn....I get looked like I'm the asshole...I guess I was expected to ride in the ditch.

:ear
  6. Gummee!

Gummee! That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer:
    Only roads w shoulders here outside NoVA aren't for cycling. The roads w shoulders are 55mph + roads.

I'm riding roads that are usually the same or narrower than the pic I posted earlier. IOW they used to be farm roads before Suburbia encroached on em.

M
  7. dolomoto

dolomoto Destroyer of Motorcycles Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are assholes in all vehicles. Some are in trucks, cars, and yes...even bicycles. We've got a couple in our group.

Why do some folks think it's alright to pass a cyclist in a corner? Happened twice this week. One curve had a fair amount of sight distance. The other was completely blind. There's a difference between: "there is not a car coming" and "I don't see a car coming".

:norton
  8. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    Ask Rekd. He seems to think it never happens.

M
  9. nwdub

nwdub Banned

Oddometer:

Why can't you just take a second and let people pass if they're in such a rush?
  10. Gummee!

Oddometer:
    How am I supposed to determine that? Am I supposed to stop before every hill and corner?

People catch up to me in all kinds of places. I can't control where they catch me up

M
  11. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    That's a great question!

Many motorists judge the passing opportunity based on a few assumptions (usually)...one of them is that the cyclist will maintain a constant speed.

Imagine the surprise if I was to slow down unexpectedly! That would be drama I don't need.

I assume a road position that offers maximum visibility with a fair dose of prudence and act predictably.

My cycling commandments: Practice Active visibility (lights 24/7!), Assume a road position of maximum visibility, act predictably...and always, always Honor the rule of lugnuts.

I can't help what other road users do...most of the time.
  12. Rekd

Rekd Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    Just curious if this includes putting yourself off the shoulder and out in traffic lanes as it does with gummy? :deal
  13. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    Bait cast. Nothings biting.

Better luck next time.
  14. Rekd

Rekd Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    I'll take that as a yes. :rofl

Do you honestly wonder why people are pissed at you when you do that? Or do you know damned well and not care?
  15. BrandonR

BrandonR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What shoulder? The example he gave doesn't even have marked lanes.
  16. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    And, another cast. Are you on the BASS tour?
  17. Rekd

Rekd Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    Denial. It's not just a river in Egypt. :rofl

Why are you so afraid to answer? Will it shine you in a bad light? :deal

It's ok. Your silence speaks louder than words.
  18. dolomoto

Oddometer:
    And so it goes. You assume so much.

I'm riding to survive.

Maybe we can meet in the middle?
  19. Rekd

Rekd Bitter Clinger

Oddometer:
    The middle of the road where you're holding up traffic?

Newp. I'll stay as far away from that powder-keg scenario as I can. You guys keep imposing your will on cagers and I'll ride behind or around and LOL while you get what you ask for. :jack
  20. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    So, now that we've beat the horse down to the last scrap of fur, how about a new topic?

Let's say that you're on your bicycle, and a couple of inmates are approaching on their motorized bikes, and you'd like to warn them that the town cop is checking out his radar?

The sign used to be the "V for victory", meaning that smokey's got ears.
    But that might be misconstrued in varous ways, and no one under about 50 seems to understand it.
    No lights, so a double flash won't work...

So is there a newer signal?