I want to build a chopper.

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by IRideASlowBike, Dec 20, 2011.

1. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    I picked up a 450 yammie for $100

It is getting chopped
  2. cyclewizard

cyclewizard Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember back in the early 70's when we chopped CB750's and of course the Brit twins..

Here's a bobber I did last year..

Attached Files:

3. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with wanting to build a panhead chopper. This is a good time to look for someones stalled project what with Christmas, tax time and the general slow economy. I have built a number of custom bikes/choppers and I can tell you that it is always better to buy a titled bike to start with. Many states now make it such a pain in the ass to get a title that nowadays I wouldn't even try to build a bike from parts.

Meanwhile, here is some inspiration. My '62 Pan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:
  5. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    The panhead frames not too bad although I'd try to negotiate a lower price. I don't see another $600 in the rest of the parts.

Avoid the other one.
  6. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

Naturally I'd haggle.

With all this terminology flying around, I realize I need a motorcycle mentor, because I'm not competent enough about the technical stuff. Someone who knows about old bikes, what fits what, what's bullshit, and what's not. Especially when it comes to old engines, which may or may not have been fucked with/overbored/whatever.

Anybody wanna be my motorcycle daddy? :lol3
  7. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    I am fairly knowledgeable on Harleys (especially older ones) and know enough to stay away from brands of bikes I don't know. I would be happy to answer your H-D "what fits what" questions.

Remember that you will always have more money in building a bike than it would cost to buy it. Making mistakes and having to redo stuff is part of the learning curve associated with these type of projects.

Be cautious about someones hot rod project motor. Try to stay with stock engine and transmission components as they will tend to work together and fit better than oddball aftermarket stuff.

I have been working on motorcycles for 45 years and the best advice I can give you I stated in my first post, and that is try to buy a complete bike w/title. That way you know what all the various parts look like and how they go together. If you buy a frame that you have no idea what it goes to, how are you going to know what motor fits it?
  8. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

Thanks.

The problem is that a complete bike, especially if it has any antique value whatsoever, is prohibitively expensive. I did see a late 80s Sportster for under $2k on Craigslist just now, though:

http://york.craigslist.org/mcy/2754983509.html

But even if I got this, for example, I'd still have to get a rigid frame separately.
  9. Lokey

Lokey redneck

Oddometer:
    But even if I got this, for example, I'd still have to get a rigid frame separately.[/QUOTE]

Not really. There are hardtail assemblies that are available that can be welded on. Also, even if you do decide to change frames, that is a much easier process than buying the frame and filling in all the other pieces.

Edited to add: Evo Sportsters are great raw material for a build. The engine/transmission assembly is pretty bullet proof (depending on maintenance and/or usage) and there are tons of parts available cheap. Also it comes with a title, in some states it can cost $200 to $500 to title a parts bike. And they are easier to insure than a bike that is licensed as a special construction.
  10. nachtflug

nachtflug I'm not going to talk about that.

Oddometer:
    that is why you start with a frame. figure out what look you want. what front end. hard tail or swing arm. wheels. dual tanks or single. what kind of handlebars. you can slip an engine in last. if you're set on a pan go for it. you don't even have to paint right away.

you should be able to find enough idea's here.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=430849

and doing the engine/trans last means you don't have a oil/gas issue as the project unfolds inside your living room.

fyi you can buy aftermarket complete pan head engines.
  11. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

:lol3 You say start with a frame, somebody else says start with a complete bike...

I do have an idea of what I want. It'll be an offroad chopper :lol3. Hardtail, more rake, dualsport tires front and rear, upswept fishtails for those water crossings, and a Fatbob tank for longer range. Dunno if I want a springer or conventional front end yet, but since I've never ridden a bike with a springer, I don't actually know what the benefit/downsides are, just that it can look good on a chopper. I also have a good idea of what kind of paint scheme I want on the gas tank.

So kind of a cross between the Captain America bike and RTWDoug's Panhead chopper. :lol3

That's about it.
  12. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
    Wouldnt it be easyer if you had a stock titled bike to start with?
    Thats why i bought my 77 sporty
    [​IMG]
    Now i can do what i want, and not worry about title issues
    <cite>www.[B]paughco[/B].com/
    has some cool stuff
    </cite>
  13. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    I'm partial to shovels but this caught my eye last year at Rhinebeck.

[​IMG]
  14. greasyboy

greasyboy cur·mudg·eon

Oddometer:
  15. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Hey! Watch this...

Oddometer:
    You said you were a student, right? I might suggest signing up at the local Vo-Tech school for a basic welding class. You would be suprised what you will learn in any type of their classes. You also will meet people who might know someone or have bike skills you can trade beer for.
  16. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

Good idea. Either that, or I could ask that Russian guy to finally teach me how to weld.

I will be unfortunately very short on free time this year, with possibly 4 international competitions coming up.
  17. nachtflug

Oddometer:
    assuming you want to ride it once built besides picking out the style of frame you want you'd want to sit on one if possible. I've sat on some that felt pretty good and some that felt like the front wheel had every spoke broken due to the geometry. you couldn't pay me to ride it the thing was that scary.
  18. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    It's your second contradiction. First was Pan Head Chopper No Money. Second is Hardtail Offroad Chopper. The whole chopper genre of bikes does not do well in off road. But especially a Hardtail. You do know that don't you?

I don't have a Harley. I watch tho. I think the Shovel Heads and Iron Heads are reasonably priced. I think the sportster of that era is called the Iron Head? If I just had to build this myself that's where I'd start. But that titled '89 seemed a good price? I say start with the complete bike. Ride it awhile and then make it into what you want, see?

You were just kidding about the off road chopper weren't you?

Charlie
  19. IRideASlowBike

IRideASlowBike Banned

Oddometer:

Yes. Apparently irony and sarcasm don't work on the internet, even if you use smilies.

Although I would really put dualsport tires and upswept fishtails on it.

I'm a n00b to building choppers, not to riding motorcycles.
  20. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Yes, now I see. I've had the same issues.

Charlie