the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. TDY

TDY Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My VIN also starts with the same 8 characters as yours. My bike is a 2001 bought in Canada.
  2. Feyala

Feyala Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially as the starter wasn't getting power and we'd recently molested the kickstand switch, that was my first thought too.

Wd40 may have worked, will try that next time.

I also thought the starter may have died... it has recently been making that squealing "crowing" noise when cold out, but I read that this is due to low grease on one part and not terribly abnormal. It is somewhat reassuring that if it does get corroded and nasty it is something I can probably fix.

Would like a bike cover, but they all seem way too bulky to carry with me, I have too much crap as it is! :lol3. My solution is to go south for the winter, where there's less rain...

All of the contacts (including that spring) were very tarnished on mine, and one of the solder points looked shoddy. A time out in a shot glass of vinegar fixed the tarnish.
  3. oktulsa17

oktulsa17 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure what has been done previously, this is just an uneducated guess on my part. I think I'm the 3rd owner on this bike. I could take it to a shop, but I'd like to do this work myself. I'll just do some searches and see what I can learn.

But in general what adjustments should be made when going to altitude? Move a clip up or down on the needle Or ????
  4. holckster

holckster dougholck

Oddometer:
    My 08 acted in a similar manner, no power, sputtering, spewed black smoke when reved (semed like choke was on, but it wasn't)
    Problem was lack of air to carb due to a strap that I passed under the seat to hang storage bags in front of the Wolfman bags collapsing the rubber snorkel.
    Removed rubber snorkel and repositioned strap, cleaned air filter (was not excessivly dirty) ,and 100% perfect.
    BTW, stock carb with no mods.
    Maybe get a stock carb from someone who has switched and start over.
    Good Luck
  5. Ren20

Ren20 Finding Touge

Oddometer:
    This is kind of embarrassing, I didn't know my bike has a choke. I hope I didn't leave the choke on for my first 90miles ride.
  6. Krusty ...

Krusty ... What? Me hurry?

Oddometer:
    Generally speaking, I doubt if an hour and a half would hurt anything other than fuel mileage. Are you sure it was ever on? In warm weather, you hardly need to choke to get them started.
  7. Fire Escape

Fire Escape Long timer

Oddometer:

My 2006 serial number Begins

JS1SP............ 17 digits you should be fine.

Bruce
  8. Ren20

Ren20 Finding Touge

Oddometer:
    The bike started up fine. It was around 55 to 60 degrees. My last bike was EFI so I am kind of spoiled.
  9. ER70S-2

ER70S-2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jet kits are designed to work with an open airbox, if your snorkle is still in place (rubber tube on top of airbox), that's likely to be the problem.

Some aftermarket jet kits have been known to run rich at the suggested jet sizes. Since it's worse at higher altitudes, it's too rich. You can start by raising the needle clip one notch (dropping the needle). If this helps, try raising it another notch and test ride. You're going leaner so when rideability suffers you need to move the clip back down one (raising needle) to richen the mixture. :freaky

Me too. :freaky
  10. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    Technically, BST40 carbs use a cold start enrichment circuit instead of a choke. A choke is closed when an engine is cold and opened when it is warm, whereas a fuel enrichment circuit is opened when the engine is cold and closed when it is warm. A choke works by restricting the air flow, whereas an enrichment circuit works by adding extra fuel. A choke requires a fast idle cam or something akin to it (or you have to hold the throttle open manually), whereas an enrichment circuit adds a little extra air simultaneously with the extra fuel, so the fast idle is already built in.

Regards,

Derek
  11. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    See http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17243473&postcount=56570.

Regards,

Derek
  12. motolab

motolab Long timer

Oddometer:
    In the case of the DJ kit, I think using the term "designed" is being overly kind. In the case of the FP kit, it will work just fine with the snorkel in place (obviously it would need to be jetted properly and the correct clip position selected, just like in any other instance).

Regards,

Derek
  13. malokam

malokam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. neo1piv014

neo1piv014 Garden Variety ADV

Oddometer:
    Damn! Your stickerbombing project was one of the more enjoyable reads. I'm sad to see you're selling it. Hope you find a buyer for it in a hurry.
  15. malokam

malokam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I have tendon issues and last week I was in a wreck in my car. Starting to have back issues now.
    I cant ride for another year or so until my health and/or personal issues are gone..

Just dont wanna let the bike sit that long, PLUS i might be moving in a month or so. :cry
  16. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    Well, here's to hoping you decide to get back on the horse next year. :freaky
  17. Pike Bishop

Pike Bishop Pull Down the Ponzi.

Oddometer:
    Speaking of dead batteries, the stock battery on my 2009 DR is about wore out, I think.

What's the collective's judgment on the best replacement battery for these bikes? Somewhere along the line I seem to recall reading that the best replacement battery was – oddly enough – the OEM battery.

Is it worth getting an AGM or whatever battery? One of my main concerns is that I don't want a battery that's going to leak acid all over and turn my motorcycle frame into Iron Soup...

TIA for any advice guys!
  18. neo1piv014

Oddometer:
    If you're worried about leaking, Shorai (I think that's the name) makes a gel battery that's gotten decent reviews.
  19. Sierra Thumper

Sierra Thumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep your bike on a battery tender when you're not riding it, and you'll get 8-10 years or more out of a stock battery. My 04 busa and 06 zx14 are still on the stock sealed batteries with that method, and my other bikes get 8-10 years out of a good quality sealed agm battery (or stock if you want to spend that much). I rarely buy batteries :D

Just use the pigtails that come with the tenders, and its super easy to quickly plug the bike in when you park it. Plus your bike will run and start WAY better all the time with a fully charged battery...great peace of mind :thumb
  20. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    My DR had a Yuasa AGM in it when I bought it 4 years ago and it is still going strong.