WABDR (Washington Backcountry Discovery Route) 2015

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Roonie, Sep 15, 2010.

1. SeattleTrails

SeattleTrails KTMer

Oddometer:
    1911 fan, i understand your concern if riding this solo. Many sections would be a long walk to safety. The good news is that most of this is quite safe as long as you are alert and watching for loose sections and obstacles. I ride a KTM 990 Adventure as well and probably would do it all solo even knowing that there are places I might drop the bike and have to work hard to get it upright again. That said there are three easy bypasses on the tough sections. The first is on Cleman Mountain where you could take road 1712 instead of 1711 which has a steep loose rocky road full of baby heads. The second is at Umtanum Ridge where you could take the Wenas-Umtanum Road over Ellensburg Pass instead of going over Umtanum Ridge (that sucker is very rocky and has one challenging move but it's not terrible). The third is at the Slide Ridge descent to Lake Chelan where you could take road 8410 down instead of road 233 which has some exposure.

My 990A only gets 125 mpg when riding off pavement so my bike was the worst of the six bikes on our first trip. The only area where I had a problem was the very first leg from Stevenson to Packwood. I had about 2 tablespoons of gas left when I got there. I did carry an extra half gallon fuel can just in case. The rule is to fill up every time you can. Be sure to get the Butler Map of this route which shows all gas stops, alternate routes, and campgrounds. Keep in mind that not all rural gas stations have premium which the KTM's require (Carlson and Loomis for sure).

Sterling just told me that the movie is almost done so we'll get to see it this winter!

-Bryce
  2. YamWOW!

YamWOW! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. :clap
  3. 1911fan

1911fan Master of the Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

Not familiar with roads 1711/1712 or the Umtanum Ridge area, but I've been up Slide Ridge on the 990. I don't really want the ride to be an endurance event- I want to go ride some pretty country, do a little motocamping, maybe meet some fellow ADVers. yup, lazy.
    I'll watch for the guide and probably ride it in sections. If my work schedule doesn't change I'll have a three-day weekend every three weeks; might do the ride in sections.

1911fan
  4. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1911 Fan - I'm up for this ride if you want to do it next summer. Assuming your 990 can keep up with my Wee Strom... :D

Seriously, I think I've either ridden much of this route, or been over parts of it on various backroad jaunts with my ol' pickup. A lot of it will be familiar territory for you and me both. I've got the backpacking tent, stove, water pump/filter and all that stuff. Let's see how the winter progresses - and maybe set a mid-late summer time to do the route on our bikes. Should be fun!

Guy
  5. Timmer

Timmer Curious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My plan is to do this ride in the summer of 2011 on my F650GS and looking for a small group of riding partners.

I'd like to take a week to do this (moto-camping) and I'm also not interested in an Enduro style ride and love to take lots of pictures. I've done the MT1000 (planning to return and do that again in 2011) and many other d/s rides in the Pacific NWet.

Is anyone else looking for riding partners?
  6. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yes, I'm pretty geared up as well. Stoopit snow, go away! I want to ride!!!!

1911fan
  7. Sabre

Sabre Cheap & cheerful Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd love to do this trip as well. I'd also love to do the MT1000, as I was on my way there this past July when a poorly-timed bit of business recalled me just before I would have lost cell phone reception.
  8. M700

M700 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. Maybe a good excuse to get a skidplate & engine guards... Although hopefully I won't need them!

Up on Chumstick Mtn, earlier this year:
    [​IMG]

Have been looking over the maps - heck you and I rode a chunk of it one day when I had my Scrambler. Other parts on other trips. Looks like it runs though some great country. I've ridden or driven much of the northern half, but only bits and pieces of the southern portion. Bring the cameras, this ought to be a lot of fun!

Guy
  9. 1911fan

Oddometer:
    And the whiskey! Can't forget the whiskey!!! :freaky

1911fan
  10. liceyscrub

liceyscrub ADV rider(mostly solo)

Oddometer:
    Can't wait for the snow to go away and get out there and check out what Washington has to offer. I am hoping on sometime in August if I can get out of the house after my first kid is born....a mans got to do what a mans got to do (or at least I will try and convince my wife of this:velvt).

Look for a tall guy on a 1150GS....and if you see me, stop to give directions:confused
  11. StoneAgeMan

StoneAgeMan Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Moto-camping sounds like fun - I need a bigger tank for my WR-250R.

I wonder how that little bike would do?:ear

StoneAge
  12. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That bike will be fine, but you might be a little bored:rofl
    For a good setup on a wr250 see:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601595
  13. MasterChief

MasterChief Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The wr 250r will do fine. I rode most of the Mt 1000 last year with a guy on one. The only time he had problems keeping up were on the paved sections. He did have a bigger tank, a pipe and remapped FI as well.
  14. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was born in, live in and work in the northern part of the "trail" (North of Hwy 20). If you are going to run this route and need a place to crash for a night... or some tools... cold beer etc. send me a PM before you leave and I can give you my phone number. I might even tag along for a chunk of it.

I ride the northern part of this route often, I also camp, hunt and fish the area and I work for the forest service up here... they aren't kidding when they say snow in June. Sometimes it will start snowing in September too!

Make sure you stop at the Loomis quick stop... great fried chicken!
  15. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  16. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Hey, DP, isn't there a thing you should be doing? The tribe is waiting ... :ddog
  17. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm interested but next summer is looking really busy already. do you have any dates in mind? Your plans sound perfect to me, I'm in no rush and want to take a bunch of pics also.
  18. Timmer

Oddometer:
    For me, it's likely to be sometime in July. Nothing is firm yet. June is looking like an AK trip and August is looking like the CDT.
  19. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    How far south you going on the CDT?

Jeeze you sure have a busy summer planned!:thumb
  20. Timmer

Oddometer:
    That's what you can do when you're retired (I didn't list the other rides that are planned :lol3 ).

For the CDT, I'd like to ride the entire route. In a best case scenario, I'd ride it south to north so I finish closer to home. I do have an offer to ride in N to S as far as CO.